What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't those cargo ships have emergency gennys for the rudders?just curious-I know the new mega yachts have so much AI that in a loss of power they are literally " sunk" terrible design- especially the ballists and yep" steering" ..... but those old ships,do you think someone's gonna be in big trouble for safety inspection or something?
On those ships, they have either electric motors or hydraulic pumps that control the rudder normally, but in case of a failure, most, if not all of them have a manual backup system. The problem is one of time: time to realize there is a problem, time to get the steering switched over to manual, and, because manual steering is much slower, time to maneuver. In the open ocean, that's not a major problem, but in confined waters? With a ship weighing maybe 100,000 tons fully loaded.........?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there were 35 fatalities when a cargo ship hit one of the supports. With the number of sharks that infest that area, some were never recovered. Michele's sister and her husband lived in New Port Ritchie at the time.
Oh my- horrible I guess I was in NY ,I was a snowbird back then Very very sad

Do you know if everyone survived this ordeal in Baltimore( was it there or Boston?)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
On those ships, they have either electric motors or hydraulic pumps that control the rudder normally, but in case of a failure, most, if not all of them have a manual backup system. The problem is one of time: time to realize there is a problem, time to get the steering switched over to manual, and, because manual steering is much slower, time to maneuver. In the open ocean, that's not a major problem, but in confined waters? With a ship weighing maybe 100,000 tons fully loaded.........?
I see- so it's highly likely it wasn't even realized and then just not enough time to manuever.... makes sense

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my- horrible I guess I was in NY ,I was a snowbird back then Very very sad

Do you know if everyone survived this ordeal in Baltimore( was it there or Boston?)
Only heard of two recoveries so far. Both survived but one in bad shape. There was a night crew working on the bridge at the time too so I'd be surprised if any of them survived. I think it's at least a 100 foot drop to the water. About the same as the Solomons Bridge where I live and lots of people have jumped over the years and there have been zero survivors.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see- so it's highly likely it wasn't even realized and then just not enough time to manuever.... makes sense
Yep, there is a pointer at the helmsman's station to indicate the rudder position, and the first clue to a problem would be when the helmsman gets an order like "Left 10° rudder", turns the wheel for left rudder......and nothing happens. That is a major 'Oops' when you are in tight areas, especially when you only have a single screw- excuse me, propeller. Now on my destroyer, we had two, so in an emergency, we could use them to steer with. In fact, one time, just to put on a show, our captain had us do a 360° turn in our own length by going ahead full on the left screw and back full on the right one. But then, we only weighed in at around 4,500 tons.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:trying to figure out what to make for dinner
That is why I make up a meal calendar for each month. No thinking or guessing what's for dinner involved now. Are there times where I don't feel like making what was planned, yes but I usually make it anyway to avoid trying to figure out something else to make. :lol: I email a copy of the dinner calendar to my husband to put up at his work so he always knows what we will be having for dinner that night. Co-workers often ask him what's for dinner tonight and he tell them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m close enough that the bridge is all over my local news. What a tragedy. :frown: Maybe theres a small miracle in that it wasn’t rush hour. But whether its 1 person or hundreds; it’s heartbreaking. My prayers are with everyone.

My entire life I ate well,physically fit,disciplined & trained hard for competitive sports.......after several bouts with cancer do not tell me what I should or should not eat !!!!lol

Never liked sweets or carbs or anything " bad for you"..... where'd that get me? You know what,ice cream is pretty darn good!!! I eat whatever these days and maybe I'll have an ice cream for breakfast!
My FIL is in his mid 80s, a retired Physicians Assistant, and very passionate about his diet and exercise all his life. He said it’s turning out to be harder to live to 100 than he expected. He grimaced when I was telling him about my 104 year old grandma surviving on Ensure/Boost shakes and baby veggie purees. Now he’s supplementing with them too and I am relieved because he has gotten very thin. I always think: What is all that for if you can’t also enjoy life? Balance is good. ❤
:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:trying to figure out what to make for dinner
When in doubt; go with your girlfriend’s favorite! 😁

DH agreed to dining out for Easter. DD may put together a lemon cake on Saturday. I bought new eggs to add to our egg hunt. My kids may be big but I’m not giving up the egg hunts till they make me! :smash: Plus: candy! ;)

I’m using one package of eggs to decorate a mini sparkly Christmas tree Ive kept out. I found pearl lights and the eggs are pearlescent too. They also STINK like burnt plastic so I’m thinking they would spoil candy anyway. I have 2 packages so I might just decorate it with both.
IMG_6316.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
That is why I make up a meal calendar for each month. No thinking or guessing what's for dinner involved now. Are there times where I don't feel like making what was planned, yes but I usually make it anyway to avoid trying to figure out something else to make. :lol: I email a copy of the dinner calendar to my husband to put up at his work so he always knows what we will be having for dinner that night. Co-workers often ask him what's for dinner tonight and he tell them.
Brilliant - sure simplifies things

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m close enough that the bridge is all over my local news. What a tragedy. :frown: Maybe theres a small miracle in that it wasn’t rush hour. But whether its 1 person or hundreds; it’s heartbreaking. My prayers are with everyone.

My FIL is in his mid 80s, a retired Physicians Assistant, and very passionate about his diet and exercise all his life. He said it’s turning out to be harder to live to 100 than he expected. He grimaced when I was telling him about my 104 year old grandma surviving on Ensure/Boost shakes and baby veggie purees. Now he’s supplementing with them too and I am relieved because he has gotten very thin. I always think: What is all that for if you can’t also enjoy life? Balance is good. ❤

When in doubt; go with your girlfriend’s favorite! 😁

DH agreed to dining out for Easter. DD may put together a lemon cake on Saturday. I bought new eggs to add to our egg hunt. My kids may be big but I’m not giving up the egg hunts till they make me! :smash: Plus: candy! ;)

I’m using one package of eggs to decorate a mini sparkly Christmas tree Ive kept out. I found pearl lights and the eggs are pearlescent too. They also STINK like burnt plastic so I’m thinking they would spoil candy anyway. I have 2 packages so I might just decorate it with both.
View attachment 473105
What's strange is all they are reporting here is about the 8 construction workers that were on the bridge. Two were found and six are missing. Nothing about the people in the cars that fell into the water. Maybe by chance, they were wrong initially and no cars fell into the water?? I know they stopped traffic when they first got the mayday about the power loss but I thought they said there were some cars already on it before. I hope they find everyone who is missing whether it's a crewman or a driver.

I'm sure it will be all over the news for me too when I get home. Just hearing bits and pieces from the TV in my boss' office.