What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have very oily skin to the point it can get in my eyes and that burns!! There isn’t a ton you can do because stripping too much oil from your skin will make you produce more.

I do like toners and acne medication with salicylic acid best. I wash, tone, spot treat acne, use a resurfacing treatment with retinol for acne scars, and then use a moisturizer with spf. Preferably something oil free but what’s available lately has been changing so I need to find a new one.

I keep oil blotting sheets in my purse for when I’m out and about if it gets too much. At home I just splash water on my face and blot with a clean hand towel.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A great review by my boss,says I am doing good and nothing but good from the shop owners.Shop owners said I do not need to be reminded not to park in front of the doors and also polite.Plus found out my son found new friends with a condition he has,intersexed.He has PMDS which we found out he has when he was 8.Learned to live with it and proud of him,he has the inner female reproductive parts inside.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thinking of the 5 people in the submersible Titan who are missing hoping that 5 more names won't be added to those lost due to the Titanic.
A friend of mine and I were texting about this this morning. What a horrifying situation. I am so hoping I wake up and read that they have all been safely recovered. 🙏

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't remember if I asked this here yet, but I asked on Facebook and they told me to get a facial toner. I'm having a huge problem with oily face. I mean it's hideous. My face is an oil pit even an hour after my shower! It makes no sense. I blot it with a paper towel, but the oil comes right back! What can I do?! I need to fix this. Should I try a toner? Would it work?
Have you tried aloe vera? Gel applied externally, juice taken internally? Some swear by it. I take Chloroxygen (liquid chlorophyll) for a variety of issues but it does seem to help my skin.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love toners. Try one with salicylic acid
I was wondering about salicylic acid products. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I do like toners and acne medication with salicylic acid best. I wash, tone, spot treat acne, use a resurfacing treatment with retinol for acne scars, and then use a moisturizer
You do all that and still have to blot your face? I want to dry the oil up and not have to keep blotting my face if it's possible. Thanks for the salicylic acid rec, I'll give it a try.

Have you tried aloe vera? Gel applied externally
Yes! I just got a bottle of it. It doesn't seem to help though. Still an oil pit. 😭

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You do all that and still have to blot your face? I want to dry the oil up and not have to keep blotting my face if it's possible. Thanks for the salicylic acid rec, I'll give it a try.
Yes. So does my mother; who doesn’t do all the skincare products. My grandpa was similar so I think its just genetic to an extent. And possibly hormonal since it got worse as I approached 40. Sometimes it seems better than others. I should ask my mom if it got better once menopause hit.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine and I were texting about this this morning. What a horrifying situation. I am so hoping I wake up and read that they have all been safely recovered. 🙏
At this point I'm just hoping that it was quick and painless. They are out of air by now and it would be a horrible death struggling to breathe and then finally succumbing to suffocation.
Even if they did find them right now, how are they going to get to them at over 12,000 feet deep? It's not like they can just jot down and attach a cable.

OnyxTen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At this point I'm just hoping that it was quick and painless. They are out of air by now and it would be a horrible death struggling to breathe and then finally succumbing to suffocation.
Even if they did find them right now, how are they going to get to them at over 12,000 feet deep? It's not like they can just jot down and attach a cable.

The announcement today that the debris found was most likely from The Titan. It appears as though it did implode.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The announcement today that the debris found was most likely from The Titan. It appears as though it did implode.
From what I heard, it imploded on the way down. It was so quick that they wouldn't have even known they were in danger, which is a good thing. They never suffered.
My condolences to all the family and friends of the crew.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I heard, it imploded on the way down. It was so quick that they wouldn't have even known they were in danger, which is a good thing. They never suffered.
My condolences to all the family and friends of the crew.
I feel for them, and the family and friends, too. An exciting opportunity turned so tragic. And one was only 19...
As cruel as it might sound, I am glad that if it had to be this way, it was just that quick. The thought of them at the bottom of the ocean, with no power, and the temperatures being so cold KNOWING that their oxygen is running out would have been absolute mental torture. :(

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of a fox attacking a human. Pretty sure you were safe. Wild fox are skittish of people.
True except for our neighbor feeds them so they come right up to people expecting food. Just wasn't sure whether or not me trying to take "food" away from it would cause an issue.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel for them, and the family and friends, too. An exciting opportunity turned so tragic. And one was only 19...
As cruel as it might sound, I am glad that if it had to be this way, it was just that quick. The thought of them at the bottom of the ocean, with no power, and the temperatures being so cold KNOWING that their oxygen is running out would have been absolute mental torture. :(
Agreed. Obviously alive would have been best, but better quickly and not being aware than slowly suffocating.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread because things have been somewhat hectic around here. So I'll start with a general update and then get to the big news.

1. As some of you know, Jasmine has been diagnosed with IBD, caused by a food allergy. The actual allergy is uncertain, but there are only three possibilities: chicken, turkey, or beef. It's probably chicken, but there's no way to be certain, so I've had to cut all three from her diet. She refuses to eat the hydrolyzed chicken the vet prescribed so I've been searching for novel proteins for her, and I've finally found some. After nine years of telling me she hates fish, Jasmine now says that fish tastes pretty good, especially Reveal brand fish cat foods. She also likes Lotus brand Venison, though not as much as the fish. But I know what will happen if she gets nothing but fish - she'll decide she doesn't like it and go on a hunger strike, for variety. So she's now on three (slightly) different flavors of fish, followed by venison. Half a can in the morning and the other half at night, and she's once again eating normally.

2. Here's where things get interesting. In June of 2012 I had a bad fall, which resulted in my left radius (forearm bone) being broken in three places, all in the wrist. The hospital trip also resulted in the discovery of a very large benign brain tumor that the doctors think must have begun in 2002 or so (based on its size - 5 cm. - and speed of growth). Fortunately it was in my right frontal lobe, so easily accessible surgically, and since brain tumors trump broken bones my wrist was splinted and the tumor was completely removed immediately (and there are no signs that it will ever return, after more than 10 years, so that's okay). Then a few days later the broken radius was repaired, surgically, with titanium plates on both the top and bottom of the bone, held on with itty bitty titanium screws.

After the arm surgery my left arm was in a cast for months. The cast extended nearly to my fingertips; it was impossible to so much as wiggle my fingers. And during that time the ligaments shortened, so that when the cast was removed the fingers went into a tightly clenched position and could not be straightened. I was in danger of getting bed sores just from my fingernails growing, not to mention that the hand was unusable. So I had occupational therapy to straighten the fingers out. It wasn't entirely successful (I stll have to clap with my hands at right angles to each other) but it was good enough. Mostly.

There are two things that are important to me that I was unable to do, even after O.T.. The first is tatting, a method of lace making that my mother taught me when I was 12 or 13. After the broken wrist I was no longer able to clench my left little finger tightly enough to control thread tension. I tried to re-learn tatting left-handed, so the right hand could control thread tension, but that was a complete bust; I was totally unable to change sides. So I bought a thread tensioner, which works pretty well, but the hand began to cramp up whenever I tatted for longer than 15 minutes at a time, which is totally unacceptable.

The second thing I could no longer do was to play my guitar. I have a classical guitar with a gorgeous sweet voice, and it's been over 11 years since I could play her. :disappointed: So I've been doing exercises to try to stretch and strengthen the hand, with no success. If anything it's gotten worse rather than better. And along the way my husband, Roger, ended up in a nursing home and then killed himself, and I managed to lose my medical insurance. I finally got the insurance problem worked out earlier this year, so I went to my Primary Care Provider and requested a referral for either P.T. (Physical Therapy) or O.T. for the hand, and she suggested that first I should visit a hand surgeon and get a proper diagnosis - it might be something better addressed surgically. And it's a good thing I did because the cause of the problem is tendon damage from the index finger flexor and the little finger flexor rubbing against those titanium plates. Every time I tried to exercise the hand I was making it worse.

I had surgery on my left hand and wrist two weeks ago today. The surgeon removed both plates and cleaned up some scar tissue that's been causing additional problems, and then he put a pin in the distal joint (the one nearest the fingertip) of the index finger, locking it in a slightly flexed position. The biggest problem with the index finger has been an inability to bend that joint voluntarily, without which it's impossible to form chords on the guitar; the pin locks the joint into a bent position and will remain in place for 5 to 7 months, after which it will be removed. At that point I'm uncertain. Either the joint will be permanently locked in place, and I hope we guessed right about the proper angle, or the tendon will be working properly again and able to tighten the joint itself. (I haven't discussed this with the surgeon, as I should have done. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's the second. The index finger tendon is the more damaged of the two.)

My entire left forearm is currently in a cast which goes past the elbow and locks the elbow in a bent position. The thumb and fingers are free to move, though the index finger has a hard protector over it to prevent any real use or further injury of that finger - I expect the finger protector to remain as long as the pin is there. The cast is supposed to come off in 3 weeks, at which time I begin P.T. or more likely O.T.; having dealt with this surgical practice before I expect it to be replaced with a removable cast which is to remain in place constantly except for exercises.

And almost immediately after getting the cast I discovered a couple of problems. First, the pop tops on Jasmine's cat food cans are now impossible for me to remove. I can't use my left hand to pry up the tab and I can't hold the can tightly enough in my left hand to use the right hand to pry up the tab and remove the top. So, can opener? Nope, that's the second problem. I have to grip the can opener tightly with my left hand while rotating the wheel with my right hand, and the left hand can't grip it. So I thought I'd go on line and look for a left-handed can opener because I figured I could turn the handle with my left hand if I did so cautiously.

And what I found was this: Bartelli Ambidextrous Can Opener

This is a wonderful device. I put the can down on a hard surface with some rubbery gripper stuff on it (drawer liner from The Dollar Store), put the can opener in place, with its little wheel where you would put the cutting blade on a normal can opener, lean on the flat black part with my left elbow, and turn the handle in a clockwise direction. Because of the rubbery stuff that I'm using to keep the can from skittering I have to stop and turn the can every once in a while, which is an extremely minor problem. I start it on the opposite side from the place where the pop top attaches to the lid because that's easier for starting it, but it has no trouble making it all the way around. When it becomes easier to turn the wheel it's time to remove the opener, by turning the handle backwards a bit.

And what this opener does is to remove the entire lid, rim and all. It's a bit hard to get a grip on the rim to take it off, so I use the bottle cap remover part of the can opener to loosen it. And once I've given Jasmine her half can of breakfast I just replace the lid on the can until supper time - no need for a silicon can lid. I love this can opener and intend to continue using it as my go-to can opener even once my left hand is at 100%. I also think I'll continue to use it to open cat food cans, rather than using the pop top; it's just so convenient to be able to re-use the lid.

Margret

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, guys.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread because things have been somewhat hectic around here. So I'll start with a general update and then get to the big news.

1. As some of you know, Jasmine has been diagnosed with IBD, caused by a food allergy. The actual allergy is uncertain, but there are only three possibilities: chicken, turkey, or beef. It's probably chicken, but there's no way to be certain, so I've had to cut all three from her diet. She refuses to eat the hydrolyzed chicken the vet prescribed so I've been searching for novel proteins for her, and I've finally found some. After nine years of telling me she hates fish, Jasmine now says that fish tastes pretty good, especially Reveal brand fish cat foods. She also likes Lotus brand Venison, though not as much as the fish. But I know what will happen if she gets nothing but fish - she'll decide she doesn't like it and go on a hunger strike, for variety. So she's now on three (slightly) different flavors of fish, followed by venison. Half a can in the morning and the other half at night, and she's once again eating normally.

2. Here's where things get interesting. In June of 2012 I had a bad fall, which resulted in my left radius (forearm bone) being broken in three places, all in the wrist. The hospital trip also resulted in the discovery of a very large benign brain tumor that the doctors think must have begun in 2002 or so (based on its size - 5 cm. - and speed of growth). Fortunately it was in my right frontal lobe, so easily accessible surgically, and since brain tumors trump broken bones my wrist was splinted and the tumor was completely removed immediately (and there are no signs that it will ever return, after more than 10 years, so that's okay). Then a few days later the broken radius was repaired, surgically, with titanium plates on both the top and bottom of the bone, held on with itty bitty titanium screws.

After the arm surgery my left arm was in a cast for months. The cast extended nearly to my fingertips; it was impossible to so much as wiggle my fingers. And during that time the ligaments shortened, so that when the cast was removed the fingers went into a tightly clenched position and could not be straightened. I was in danger of getting bed sores just from my fingernails growing, not to mention that the hand was unusable. So I had occupational therapy to straighten the fingers out. It wasn't entirely successful (I stll have to clap with my hands at right angles to each other) but it was good enough. Mostly.

There are two things that are important to me that I was unable to do, even after O.T.. The first is tatting, a method of lace making that my mother taught me when I was 12 or 13. After the broken wrist I was no longer able to clench my left little finger tightly enough to control thread tension. I tried to re-learn tatting left-handed, so the right hand could control thread tension, but that was a complete bust; I was totally unable to change sides. So I bought a thread tensioner, which works pretty well, but the hand began to cramp up whenever I tatted for longer than 15 minutes at a time, which is totally unacceptable.

The second thing I could no longer do was to play my guitar. I have a classical guitar with a gorgeous sweet voice, and it's been over 11 years since I could play her. :disappointed: So I've been doing exercises to try to stretch and strengthen the hand, with no success. If anything it's gotten worse rather than better. And along the way my husband, Roger, ended up in a nursing home and then killed himself, and I managed to lose my medical insurance. I finally got the insurance problem worked out earlier this year, so I went to my Primary Care Provider and requested a referral for either P.T. (Physical Therapy) or O.T. for the hand, and she suggested that first I should visit a hand surgeon and get a proper diagnosis - it might be something better addressed surgically. And it's a good thing I did because the cause of the problem is tendon damage from the index finger flexor and the little finger flexor rubbing against those titanium plates. Every time I tried to exercise the hand I was making it worse.

I had surgery on my left hand and wrist two weeks ago today. The surgeon removed both plates and cleaned up some scar tissue that's been causing additional problems, and then he put a pin in the distal joint (the one nearest the fingertip) of the index finger, locking it in a slightly flexed position. The biggest problem with the index finger has been an inability to bend that joint voluntarily, without which it's impossible to form chords on the guitar; the pin locks the joint into a bent position and will remain in place for 5 to 7 months, after which it will be removed. At that point I'm uncertain. Either the joint will be permanently locked in place, and I hope we guessed right about the proper angle, or the tendon will be working properly again and able to tighten the joint itself. (I haven't discussed this with the surgeon, as I should have done. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's the second. The index finger tendon is the more damaged of the two.)

My entire left forearm is currently in a cast which goes past the elbow and locks the elbow in a bent position. The thumb and fingers are free to move, though the index finger has a hard protector over it to prevent any real use or further injury of that finger - I expect the finger protector to remain as long as the pin is there. The cast is supposed to come off in 3 weeks, at which time I begin P.T. or more likely O.T.; having dealt with this surgical practice before I expect it to be replaced with a removable cast which is to remain in place constantly except for exercises.

And almost immediately after getting the cast I discovered a couple of problems. First, the pop tops on Jasmine's cat food cans are now impossible for me to remove. I can't use my left hand to pry up the tab and I can't hold the can tightly enough in my left hand to use the right hand to pry up the tab and remove the top. So, can opener? Nope, that's the second problem. I have to grip the can opener tightly with my left hand while rotating the wheel with my right hand, and the left hand can't grip it. So I thought I'd go on line and look for a left-handed can opener because I figured I could turn the handle with my left hand if I did so cautiously.

This is a wonderful device. I put the can down on a hard surface with some rubbery gripper stuff on it (drawer liner from The Dollar Store), put the can opener in place, with its little wheel where you would put the cutting blade on a normal can opener, lean on the flat black part with my left elbow, and turn the handle in a clockwise direction. Because of the rubbery stuff that I'm using to keep the can from skittering I have to stop and turn the can every once in a while, which is an extremely minor problem. I start it on the opposite side from the place where the pop top attaches to the lid because that's easier for starting it, but it has no trouble making it all the way around. When it becomes easier to turn the wheel it's time to remove the opener, by turning the handle backwards a bit.

And what this opener does is to remove the entire lid, rim and all. It's a bit hard to get a grip on the rim to take it off, so I use the bottle cap remover part of the can opener to loosen it. And once I've given Jasmine her half can of breakfast I just replace the lid on the can until supper time - no need for a silicon can lid. I love this can opener and intend to continue using it as my go-to can opener even once my left hand is at 100%. I also think I'll continue to use it to open cat food cans, rather than using the pop top; it's just so convenient to be able to re-use the lid.

Margret
You have been through a lot. :hugs: I'm hopeful that PT will do something and allow you to have use of your hand and arm again. It's been my experience that we don't appreciate a limb until we can't use it, then, we realize how we take it for granted.
Good idea on the can opener! I never use the silicon lids unless the food will be in the fridge for more than a day or so, it's easier to just re-use the original lid.
I hope you and Jasmine both continue to see improvements. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What caused it to implode?
It was not designed to go to more than 1300 meters, and they were well below that. The Titanic is at 4000 meters. Ocean pressure caused it to implode, so fast that they would not have even had time to register that anything was wrong. What utterly ticks me off is that one of the mechanical engineers brought up several safety concerns, and was fired for his pains. This was probably avoidable.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, guys.

Margret
I’m sort of gobsmacked by all you’ve been through, and how even-keeled you remain! Please keep us posted on your healing progress. I’ve never encountered a tatter, (tattist?) always thought it was a mysteriously Victorian thing. Someone out of the blue yesterday just handed me a guitar, so I’m envious you know how. (If I can plink out a chord tonight, looking at the crib sheet, it will be a moment of joy).

Status
Not open for further replies.