What's going on with me

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What is wrong with his foot? Affected in some way by the heart attack? If he has the strength to push the gas pedal he likely has the strength to hit the brake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has foot drop. He has to hike his foot up when he walks. They are trying to fix it with physical therapy.

He took some stuff to the dump and then went to Walmart. He called me from Walmart. He picked out 7 flavored liquid coffee creamers for me! I was freaking out because I didn't think he was supposed to drive. I called my brother and he said it was okay, he passed all his tests to be able to drive. I didn't know that! My brother doesn't really want him driving, but can't really stop him. He is going to look at small SUVs this weekend instead of coming to the house. He wants a safer vehicle for dad that isn't standard.

My other brother might come instead on Saturday. I told him no need, if the weather is bad, for him to come. We are doing fine. Dad wants to do another grocery order on Wednesday.

I got approved for food stamps. But it's only for 3 months. I guess they want me to get a job after that? But I doubt I will be well enough to work in 3 months, unless it's a work from home job. They are giving me $281 a month! That's a lot of food! What happens if I don't spend it all? Will they let me have more months to spend it instead of just 3?

Both the physical therapist and the nurse come tomorrow. Busy day! Got the towels washed, they are in the dryer.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has foot drop. He has to hike his foot up when he walks. They are trying to fix it with physical therapy.
I have foot drop, too, in my left foot. It's caused by a pinched nerve in the spine. Physical therapy didn't help mine at all, and I am dubious that it will help him. So I wear a brace on my left leg that prevents the foot from dropping and makes walking natural. I've also discovered that boots or booties will do the job also, so some days I can give my leg a rest and wear the booties. I have no trouble driving at all because my right foot is not affected. You haven't said which of your dad's feet it is, but it's no worries if it's his left foot. Even if it's his right foot, he still should be able to drive just fine with a brace or boots.

The money you got with SNAP isn't much to me. I don't think you can save it month to month. Are there any food pantries near you? You may need one to supplement for the two of you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Thrifty" food spending is estimated by the USDA to be around $250 per month for adults, so $281 isn't that much. You might be surprised how fast it goes (and hey, coffee creamer is covered!).

SNAP benefits do roll over, and there's no federal maximum on how much you can roll, but there may be a state maximum, so ask your social worker.

At the end of the 3 months they'll probably just renew your application. Even if you get a job you might still qualify for SNAP.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there any food pantries near you? You may need one to supplement for the two of you.
I don't know. I don't think dad would qualify. He's not low income enough I don't think. He might lose his Meals on Wheels. The guy is coming tomorrow to talk to him. He's not really low income and he is well enough to cook now, and I'm here. I think it's only for people who can't get around well and have nobody to help them. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. He only really liked the meatloaf anyway. Maybe I can find him a frozen dinner at the supermarket with Meatloaf in it?

Even if it's his right foot, he still should be able to drive just fine with a brace or boots.
He said it's his right foot. I don't know what he wears for footwear, I'll have to ask him. He said the only real trouble he had was on a hill with lots of traffic?

You might be surprised how fast it goes (and hey, coffee creamer is covered!).
I don't eat much, but I guess we'll see. Vegetarian Meat is expensive, but I don't think I will spend more than $50 a week tops.
They are giving me $177 for January too!

At the end of the 3 months they'll probably just renew your application. Even if you get a job you might still qualify for SNAP.
They sent me this really thick packet with all the rules. It said I have to take any job offer they give me, and if I can't work, I have to get a doctor's note saying I'm disabled?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. I don't think dad would qualify. He's not low income enough I don't think. He might lose his Meals on Wheels.
Actually DreamerRose DreamerRose has a good idea.👍 My husband volunteered at a local food pantry and they are two entirely separate programs. Meals on Wheels is more for people who are homebound, can't cook for themselves or get out to do grocery shopping. I know your dad can do some of those things and you are there to help him. But a food pantry offers you perishable and non-perishable items, not just food, e.g. paper supplies, sundries, canned goods, etc. Without registering and filling out the paperwork you wouldn't know if he qualifies or not. It would be worthwhile to inquire and check out for both your dad and you. Also a great way to supplement what you don't get from Meals on Wheels and always have a back up for rainy days. The food pantry should not affect him still getting Meals on Wheels. I hope he can qualify.:crossfingers:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to think about is whether you want to try to get Social Security Disability, which is for people who are unable to work for various reasons. It is a long application process and sometimes can take years to get approved but it may be an option that could provide you with your own income,

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But a food pantry offers you perishable and non-perishable items, not just food, e.g. paper supplies, sundries, canned goods, etc. Without registering and filling out the paperwork you wouldn't know if he qualifies or not. It would be worthwhile to inquire and check out for both your dad and you. Also a great way to supplement what you don't get from Meals on Wheels and always have a back up for rainy days. The food pantry should not affect him still getting Meals on Wheels. I hope he can qualify.:crossfingers:
It's worth mentioning that SNAP does not cover paper goods or any non-food items. Moms can't get diapers with it. So it would be worth your time to apply. It does have income requirements, but they are usually quite liberal. It would help you more than him because you can get all the veggies you want.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing to think about is whether you want to try to get Social Security Disability, which is for people who are unable to work for various reasons. It is a long application process and sometimes can take years to get approved but it may be an option that could provide you with your own income,
If you do apply for SSDI, don't be discouraged if you are turned down. They always turn down the first application, and you have to reapply several times. Your social worker can help you with this.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do apply for SSDI, don't be discouraged if you are turned down. They always turn down the first application, and you have to reapply several times. Your social worker can help you with this.
Yes we always heard this from counselors for our clients. Your social worker should be a great resource for you to find out what you can get and how to go about it. Your state likely has an employment rehabilitation division that has people who can help determine if you are capable of working and determining what sort of job you can do. You might need paperwork from your doctor to help also. Or income paperwork. I saw people get help obtaining anything from clothing to dentures to help them get back to work. I saw people get verification that they could not work. So it might be a process with different agencies involved; but these things should be there to help. It just takes some time sometimes.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regarding the food pantry, I forgot to add that you should apply for it for yourself, not your father. You don't have any income at the moment, so you would automatically qualify. Once you're in, you can pick up things for both of you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you're in, you can pick up things for both of you.
Is that legal though, to share the food with Dad? I got approved for food stamps, but they said I can't share the food with Dad.

Dad gets to keep his Meals on Wheels! Because of heart and mobility issues, his drop foot and because he walks with a cane. They will check again in 6 months. They said since he loves the meatloaf so much, he can order 2 and freeze one if he wants.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that legal though, to share the food with Dad? I got approved for food stamps, but they said I can't share the food with Dad.

Dad gets to keep his Meals on Wheels! Because of heart and mobility issues, his drop foot and because he walks with a cane. They will check again in 6 months. They said since he loves the meatloaf so much, he can order 2 and freeze one if he wants.
No one is going to check who is eating what in your house. This rule is mostly meant so that cards arent given or sold from one household to another.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one is going to check who is eating what in your house
She specifically asked me if I eat meals separately from dad. I just don't want to do anything to get in trouble. I wouldn't do well in jail!
Plus the rule packet said that if I violate anything, they can try to recover the money.

I mentioned to the Meals on Wheels guy that my dad loved their meatloaf and they brought him one they had leftover today! That was so nice!

Dad surprised me by cleaning the bathroom sink & toilet for me. I was feeling so overwhelmed with all the housework. My nerves were bad today with all the visitors, his nurse came today too. She said his blood pressure is very low.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm on SNAP. Granted, I live alone, but I've never heard of not being allowed to share food with others in your household.
I agree! :agree:
As I said in an earlier post, my husband volunteered at a food pantry. He said, "No Way," no one is going to come to your house to check who is eating the food. And you certainly wouldn't go to jail. I understand you don't want to jeopardize anything for your dad or you so do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just the lady who conducted the interview on the phone was really strict. She basically implied that the food stamps were for me, not my dad. And she said that my dad could not be handing me spending money if I wanted to receive the other part, the welfare money.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wants to make sure your dad doesn't take your SNAP money or your welfare money. As neely neely said, no one is going to come to the house to check to see who is eating what. As for welfare money, you may in fact need to submit an expenditure explanation every year as to where the money went. But, for that also, no one is going to check if your dad gives you some additional spending money.