What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the Dave's Killer 21 Grains/Seeds bread tonight. Veggie sammiches both toasted & untoasted with yellow squash, romaine lettuce, tomato, onion, hard boiled egg, cheese, mayo. It was pretty good, but not $5 good. I've had better for less, so probably won't buy it again. But it was good! I liked the sweet taste.
Maybe you had too many ingredients and it effected the taste of the bread. How do you get all of that in a sandwich? DKB has 5 grams of protein for each slice which is more than other bread I've ever had.

Tonight I had DKB with cream chese and sliced green olives.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you had too many ingredients and it effected the taste of the bread. How do you get all of that in a sandwich
I always have 5 things on my sammich, then mayo and cheese. I know exactly how much can fit on there without breaking. It's good, but I can get other bread for $3 that is just as good. I'm cheap, so I'm always looking for a bargain.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds amazing!

I had chicken salad on DKB.
My mother used to make me cream cheese and olive and cheam cheese and grape jelly sandwiches for school lunches. They used to serve them at a restaurant where she used to work. I was vegetarian way back then and she was trying to make sure I was getting enough protein.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I made Black Bean burgers. Will probably have another one tonight.

DKB has 5 grams of protein for each slice which is more than other bread I've ever had.
That's one thing that helps me justify the cost, as 2 slices of the DKB = 10g of protein, which is good for us vegetarians.

I know exactly how much can fit on there without breaking.
That's another thing I like about the DKB, it can fit a lot of filling without breaking.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one thing that helps me justify the cost, as 2 slices of the DKB = 10g of protein, which is good for us vegetarians.
I love trying new breads. Especially the wide pan and bakery type ones. I can get some great ones for $3 or $4. I don't buy the same ones very often, cause I like trying new ones. I like bagel sammiches too.

Probably have another veggie sammich tonight on Dave's 21 Grain/Seeds bread toasted with mayo, cheese, hot sauce, veggies.
I forgot the hot sauce yesterday, maybe that will make it more exciting. :thumbsup:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We invited our neighbors over to dinner to try the delicious food from the new Cantonese restaurant we found. They live several blocks away but we bonded when we first moved here with our dogs and love of animals. We lovingly refer to them as our best doggie friends. We've introduced them to the world of cats and they have become smitten with many of the cats we've adopted over the years. Fingers crossed they'll enjoy dinner tonight. :crossfingers:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a toasted veggie sammich with the Dave's Bread. I put raw broccoli on it this time. That was yummy. It's growing on me a bit, but I still don't think it's worth $5. It's similar to Arnold bread, which I can get for $3. But you never know, I still have more sammiches left to make. Maybe it will grow on me more. I'm going to make a cooked broccoli sammich for dinner. :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's growing on me a bit, but I still don't think it's worth $5. It's similar to Arnold bread, which I can get for $3. But you never know, I still have more sammiches left to make. Maybe it will grow on me more.
I also found it grew on me, in that I enjoyed it better with my 2nd sandwich, than my first. Whether it's worth the money, what really is these days. And though I have no intentions of switching to it entirely, it is something I keep in the freezer for when I want something a bit more substantial than regular grocery store bread. Someday I want to check out bakeries around me, or the farmer's markets, as I'm sure there's some yummy breads out there that I've just never come across.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, I had my own chicken salad sandwich, on Daves Killer bread hamburger rolls. I was a pig, and ate 2 of them. I made the chicken salad a bit different: with grapes, some tarragon, pepper, and the usual celery. It was good.

Chicken salad, is so versatile. You can add a ton of different things to it; not all at once, but you can change it up.

I think salad for tomorrow. I ordered the chicken salad roll-up, but I really prefer my own chicken salad. I can adjust the seasonings and the amount of mayo, I use. I like crunchy celery in it.

It is really too hot for anything except a salad or sandwich....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, first let me tell you what I did for lunch on Saturday. I am having to be very careful with carbs, post-stroke, so I took 1 slice of DKB, the whole grains variety. I spread a bit of mayo and a bit of horseradish sauce on it, then piled on two sandwiches worth of roast beef and provolone cheese, and ran that under the broiler until the cheese was all bubbly and everything was warm. I ate it with a knife and fork, and GOD WAS IT GOOD! Filled me up completely, and only one slice of healthy bread! I feel so virtuous!

Tonight will be yet another Healthy Choice meal. I'm not sure which yet. I have four left, thanks to my neighbors bringing me plates throughout the week.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someday I want to check out bakeries around me
How much does bread from the bakery cost? Aldi has bakery type bread like sourdough for $3. Not sure what real bakeries cost. I'm not sure if we even have real bakeries around here anymore! I would have to Google it. 🍞

so I took 1 slice of DKB
Hee hee. Everybody eating the Dave's bread! This site should earn a commission on it. :lol:

For dinner I will have one last veggie sammich with the last 2 slices of Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grains/Seeds. I don't think I will buy it again, but maybe tonight's sammich will change my mind. Not sure what I will put on it, but it will be toasted with mayo, cheese, various veggies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much does bread from the bakery cost?
I'm not sure, really, but wouldn't surprise me if it's in the same range as DKB.

Hee hee. Everybody eating the Dave's bread! This site should earn a commission on it. :lol:
I know !!! Crazy, isn't it. :lol:

Anyone who posts in this thread not try it yet?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a toasted veggie sammich with the Dave's Bread. I put raw broccoli on it this time. That was yummy. It's growing on me a bit, but I still don't think it's worth $5. It's similar to Arnold bread, which I can get for $3. But you never know, I still have more sammiches left to make. Maybe it will grow on me more. I'm going to make a cooked broccoli sammich for dinner. :thumbsup:
I used to eat cooked broccoli sandwiches with pita bread for lunch when I worked. I need to start eating them again with DKB because I need the protein.

Last night they gave me a large serving of brussel sprouts, scalloped potatoes and a tiny piece of pecan pie. It was a nice change. They rarely have green vegetables. Mostly rice and potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.