What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catch as catch can night...using up the leftovers.He had ham steak,sweet potato and limas from last night and I had a piece of toast with sausage gravy and the rest of the lima beans.Made a pan of banana bread today...so good!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had Totino's Pizza Rolls in the frozen food section?
I don't think I've tried them yet, but I should. Thanks for the reminder. That manicotti sounds so good too!

2nd, 3rd or 4th medium one for $5.00 each.
Yeah, but that would run us up towards $20. We like to keep it as close to $10-$12 as we can. We are very frugal when it comes to take out. I know all the sammich places to get lunch for $5 or $6.

Breakfast: 3/4 cup Aldi cinnamon granola, 1/3 cup milk, 1 whole banana diced. Perfection.

Lunch: Snack plate- finished up the Aldi sea salt pita chips, diced NY sharp cheese, finished up the pickled jalapenos, pecans, celery sticks, dried dates, dried fruit medley (banana chips, papaya, pineapple, raisins, coconut), 1TB Justin's cinnamon almond butter, 1TB honey, 1TB black bean corn salsa, 1TB spicy brown mustard. I don't really like this French's mustard, it's too vinegary. It threw off the flavor of my snack plate. Or maybe I mixed too many flavors.

Dinner: Leftover taco salad bake, added half a diced avocado, 1/8Tsp spicy fire salt, Aldi white bean chips, and I stirred in 1/4 cup roasted red pepper hummus. That was really good! The hummus gave it a creamy flavor.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yesterday, I spent most of the evening putting together a new set of shelves to house SIX bags of groceries that wouldn't fit in the pantry. Since COVID, and since I have SEVERAL "underlying conditions," I've been keeping 4-6 months supply of food on hand, in case things got bad enough here that I was afraid to go to the store (and yes, that includes cat food and litter...that came FIRST). SO...lots of pantry-type items! Everything is now put away and organized, but I did NOT feel like cooking. I had pimento cheese on Ritz crackers for supper!

Tonight, after a good night's (day's) sleep, I'm far perkier. I also feel honey mustardish, so unless that changes, chicken nuggets and a veggie. I may make homemade nuggets, or I may use some of my stash of frozen ones. Depends on my mood.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, no, because I made the veggie chili a little spicier than usual so the ice cream tasted great afterwards.
Good planning. :)

Yeah, but that would run us up towards $20. We like to keep it as close to $10-$12 as we can. We are very frugal when it comes to take out. I know all the sammich places to get lunch for $5 or $6.
Nothing wrong with being frugal. 🤗 I rarely ate out, even pre-Covid, but I also didn't like to spend more than $5 or $6 for lunch, but that was getting harder as even the fast food restaurant prices started creeping up, not to mention veggie options are often more expensive than the meat ones. :ohwell:

No idea what's for dinner tonight, so it could be almost anything. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
also feel honey mustardish,
Have you ever tried Honey Mustard Salad Dressing? I see Aldi has some, I wonder if it would be good on my snack plates. They also have regular honey mustard too. What brand/kind do you buy?

I also didn't like to spend more than $5 or $6 for lunch, but that was getting harder as even the fast food restaurant prices started creeping up
Oh, I'm an expert at it! Half a sub or veggie sammich are usually in that price range. Omelets used to be. Now they are $10!

Breakfast: Aldi cinnamon raisin bagel, 2TB Justin's cinnamon almond butter, half a diced Gala apple on top. These bagels taste funny too! Are bagels not supposed to be frozen? I'll try turning the toaster up to 6, maybe it's not high enough at 5.

Lunch: Snack plate- Sea salt pita crackers, the other half of that diced Gala apple, NY sharp cheese diced, dried mixed berries, dried fruit medley, dates, pecans, diced avocado, cottage cheese, 1 vegan marshmallow, vanilla greek yogurt, 1TB blueberry preserves, 1TB cinnamon almond butter, 1TB mustard, 1TB salsa. The mustard only tastes good on the cheese & crackers.

Dinner: Huge dinner plate salad- lettuce, onion, cucumber, tomato, celery, bell peppers, 1 vegan marshmallow, pecans, dried mixed berries, shredded cheese, sea salt pita crackers, 1TB Catalina red french dressing, 1TB Miracle Whip, diced up Aldi vegetarian tenders cooked in toaster oven with 2TB red jalapeno hot sauce. This was my best salad yet!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dinner: Huge dinner plate salad
I had a huge dinner plate salad tonight too, as I realized my unopened bag of salad had a best before date of tomorrow. 🥗
Not as many different ingredients as yours, but still delicious - Lettuce mix, chopped apple, cheese, walnuts and raisins, and a simple olive oil / vinegar dressing. I had a piece of cornbread to go with it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you ever tried Honey Mustard Salad Dressing? I see Aldi has some, I wonder if it would be good on my snack plates. They also have regular honey mustard too. What brand/kind do you buy?
I buy Ken's, and I use it for salads AND for dipping. Why buy two, when one BIG bottle will do the trick?

Tonight...Um. Maybe an omelet. Cheddar cheese, onions and bell peppers, lightly sautéed. Well, the onions and peppers. Not the cheese. Cheese does not sauté well. It bakes a treat, though. I've been known to spray a baking sheet with no-stick, make little piles of cheddar, and bake until bubbly. Then cool into little cheese chips. But I'm quite peculiar.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday supper was horrible.. really was.. I complained and asked for a new supper.

The baked potato was not cooked completely!! The chicken---omg, the chicken..
It was almost burnt, and was not cleaned well at all.. It was a breast, still having a bit of the neck skin attached and FEATHERS!!

I was disgusted! I called them, telling them about it, and demanded a new dinner.. They apologized, and sent one up.. They did take back the old one.. That is surprising..
They usually tell you to just throw it out..

Since we have all been checked for Covid, and proved negative, and we all got the vaccine, I allowed the kitchen help in, to show him what I saw. He completely agreed with me! I pointed out the feathers..

What really got to me, was when I called, the Dinner Manager; I told her that in a year of routinely eating the food here, this is the 4th time I have gotten feathers on my chicken..
She, very, flippantly replied, "Well, chickens DO have feathers!"... I was furious..
Kept my temper hidden, by saying: " I have been eating chicken my entire life. I have only seen feathers since I moved here and started the food program.".... Dam....

Feel like reporting her....

ugh...

today is supposed to be lasagne... but I think I will skip it... and make a tuna fish sandwich with chips and pickles....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OMG artiemom artiemom Yeah, report her. Evidently it's OK to find feathers on your chicken? For crying out loud.

Last night, I made beef and broccoli stir fry. It's been ages since I made a stir fry and it was delicious. I made fried brown rice, too. Yum. There's enough leftover for Rick's lunch today....he's really happy about that. Onions, beef, broccoli, water chestnuts, slivered carrots, sliced 'shrooms, and a bit of shredded cabbage. I make my own stir fry sauce. It took a while to get everything sliced and ready to go, but it was worth it.

Shrimp Alfredo for dinner tonight. Rick should be a happy camper again. I hope!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't necessarily blame the feathers directly on the manager. It's the fault of the processing plant. Bad quality control, lazy . overworked workers, etc. If feathers have been an issue in the past, maybe suggest to the manager that a different supplier for meat be used and the kitchen staff inspect everything before using and discard anything that is bad, doesn't look right, questionable, etc.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't necessarily blame the feathers directly on the manager. It's the fault of the processing plant. Bad quality control, lazy . overworked workers, etc. If feathers have been an issue in the past, maybe suggest to the manager that a different supplier for meat be used and the kitchen staff inspect everything before using and discard anything that is bad, doesn't look right, questionable, etc.
No, I do not blame the manager. It was her flippant remarks that bothered me.
It is not just me with the feathers and quality of the food. People have been complaining for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.