What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: Aldi blueberry bagel toasted, each half had 1TB Butter & 1/2 Tsp McCormick vanilla cinnamon sugar. Half a diced pear on top.

Lunch: Snack plate- Aldi sea salt pita chips, the other half of that diced pear, sharp cheese diced, pecans, dried figs, dried mixed berries, dried pineapple, 1 hard boiled egg diced, celery sticks, finished up the Velveeta cheese sauce about 1/4 cup.

Dinner: Roasted potato, carrot, onion, garlic, red/yellow bell peppers mix in olive oil, ketchup on top. Also made Aldi vegetarian chicken tenders in the toaster oven with BBQ sauce on them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I roasted a couple of chicken thighs. I had a salad while they were cooking. when they chicken was done, I started pulling some of the meat off to cool so I could cut it into small pieces for the girls. They were already sitting next to me waiting for their share. One on either side of me. Back and forth they got their share until more than half of a thigh was gone. I had the rest. I had a little of the second one but stopped because the salad filled me up. I cut the rest of the second thigh into small pieces and put some of it on their dinner as a topper. The rest of it is in the fridge and will be used as a topper for their dinner tomorrow. The question is: who shared their food with who? :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I had Gardein Chick'n strips, fries and salad. In case anyone is wondering, plum sauce for the strips, ketchup for the fries and Catalina dressing for the salad.

They gave me a brownie for dessert but it is hard as a rock.
Popping it in the microwave for a few seconds might help soften it up. That is it you still have it. If not, a though for another time.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I had Gardein Chick'n strips, fries and salad. In case anyone is wondering, plum sauce for the strips, ketchup for the fries and Catalina dressing for the salad.

Popping it in the microwave for a few seconds might help soften it up. That is it you still have it. If not, a though for another time.
Yeah, I put it in the microwave and it soften right up.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night the supper was not bad: Breakfast for dinner..
Hash browns, Challah french that, and turkey sausages. I used my own real maple syrup...

The sausages were a bit spicy.. not breakfast sausages.. but it was a good meal.

Tonight I picked:
Chicken Soup, stuffed chicken breast, with gravy. ...... I forget what it comes with... I may just keep the stuffing out ... or not eat the potato.. or save it--depending on what it looks like..

It is still off and on with the food. Wednesday was so bad, that I am thinking of printing up a recipe and attaching it to the weekly food evaluation form...

I will say, that the bakery items are really good...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dinner is in the slow cooker right now. Today is the start of Lunar / Asian New Year and I decided to give slow cooker congee / rice porridge a try. I don't expect it to turn out like what one can buy in Chinatown but it should be ok. I added mushrooms to the recipe and will be adding some watercress about halfway through.

I just saw that a local Chinese dumpling restaurant has launched an online shop selling their own homemade frozen dumplings and buns, vegan / vegetarian options avaialble: Collections They only ship within the US. I've had the dumplings before in the restaurant and they are so good :yummy:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Dinner was another disappointment. Chicken was bland, dry, not enough gravy. The scalloped were just thinly sliced potatoes which were baked--bland.. nothing added to it, except water.. the stuffing was just bread mashed with water. And, zucchini!! again!! ugh..
Not good...

I told them about it, on my evaluation.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The congee did not turn out like the recipe picture. It was watery soup, not a thick porridge texture. Pretty disappointing but the soup was still good. The recipe states 8 cups of liquid and 1 cup of uncooked rice, a typical ratio even for stop top cooking.

What congee is supposed to look like:

What my congee looked like in the slow cooker when it was done after 8 hours on low:

20210212_153454[1].jpg

In a bowl with the chicken shredded up:

20210212_161152[1].jpg

Next time I'll try 5 hours on high and a little less liquid.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case anyone is wondering, plum sauce for the strips, ketchup for the fries and Catalina dressing for the salad.
That's me! It's all about the sauce. :thumbsup:

The scalloped were just thinly sliced potatoes which were baked--bland
I hated scalloped potatoes until I tried them with ketchup on top.

Breakfast: Aldi cinnamon raisin granola, 1 whole diced gala apple, 1/3 cup 2% milk. I think a whole apple is too much, all I could taste was apple.

Lunch: Snack plate- Aldi sea salt pita chips, cottage cheese, vanilla greek yogurt, dried figs, dates, dried pineapple, dried mixed berries, sliced almonds, 1 sliced hard boiled egg, 1 diced slice provolone cheese, celery sticks, 1TB Jif natural peanut butter, 2TB Aldi black bean salsa, 1TB honey.

Dinner: Leftover taco salad with Aldi sea salt pita chips & Aldi white bean tortilla chips, 2TB Ortega hot taco sauce, 2TB Aldi black bean salsa, stirred in a few diced Aldi vegetarian tenders that I baked in the toaster oven. The taco salad had black beans, salsa, rice, corn, onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, sour cream, taco seasoning, cheese.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of but not really chicken marengo: dusted chicken thighs with flour, browned, set aside. With lid at the ready poured some sherry into pan and started reducing. Plopped in some crushed tomatoes (canned) and some tomato paste, stirred around, added mandarin orange peel and returned chicken to pan. Covered, reduced heat, let everything simmer away while I boiled fingerling potatoes. At the end I microwave steamed fresh broccoli. And that was our dinner. With leftovers for another meal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am thinking of printing up a recipe and attaching it to the weekly food evaluation form...
DO IT! The worst that can happen is that they'll ignore it. They aren't likely to hunt you down like a small, fur-bearing mammal!

That's me! It's all about the sauce. :thumbsup:
Me, too. I'm well known to plan entire meals around whatever sauce/condiment/spice I happen to be craving at the moment!

Tonight, I'm not craving much of anything at the moment...although the cream cheese has been singing to me for the last couple of hours. Which means that at some point, there's a bagel who's going to end its life in a toaster!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
DO IT! The worst that can happen is that they'll ignore it. They aren't likely to hunt you down like a small, fur-bearing mammal!
Depending on my mood, I may just enclose a recipe for beef and broccoli, with my recommendations; a recipe for stuffing; and a recipe for scalloped potatoes...

They are supposed to be chefs.. well.. cannot convince me of it...
I told them it was such a disappointing week, especially when I thought the food was turning around...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The menu at a senior complex is probably limited by sodium/fat/etc. guidelines. Everything that makes it taste good! But, yeah, a talented cook can make it taste good even with those restrictions.

I made Asian garlic noodles in the Instant Pot last night. It's good but not great, I had high hopes. I got a few lunches out of it too; I always make the full recipe so I'll have leftovers. None of that "cooking for one" nonsense, lol.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
biscuits leftover in the fridge so I made sausage gravy
Yum! I'll have to try that with vegetarian gravy. :yummy:

I'm well known to plan entire meals around whatever sauce/condiment/spice I happen to be craving
I like that idea! :thumbsup:

veggie pizza tonight. DH wanted to put the last of his leftover bbq chicken on it but I said, "no way!"
You can put meat on just one half. We do that all the time. It only went wrong once, the guy at Pizza Hut slopped the meat all over my side. I wrote a complaint and got my next pizza free. 🍕

Breakfast: Aldi blueberry bagel toasted, 2TB butter, 2Tsp vanilla cinnamon sugar, half a diced pear.

Lunch: Finished up the last blueberry bagel with 2TB Justin's cinnamon almond butter and the other half of that diced pear.
I think these bagels were going bad. They tasted odd, but no mold on them, so I ate them. I don't feel sick.

Dinner: Aldi vegetarian tenders with Newman's Own bbq sauce in toaster oven, roasted cauliflower in the oven with olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic parsley salt. 1/2TB Red jalapeno hot sauce on top. The cauliflower tasted bitter, not sure what went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.