What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at Gruyere at the grocery store. $9.79 for 5 ounces. I need 8 ounces
Yes! Gruyere is so expensive, so I usually use Swiss if a recipe calls for it. It's really good though, like a really sharp Swiss. It's fun to get a little brick of it. I don't know how Rachael Ray affords to put it on/in everything!

i get my teeth yanked out tommorrow morning with a new set of dentures to replace the teeth
Oh heck. Dental problems are the worst. I've got tons of teeth that need to come out some day. I feel for you.

Lunch: Veggie Omelet with Ketchup
Dinner: Vegetarian Taco Salad with Hot Salsa

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chili made with ground venison and fresh pork belly, can of crushed tomatoes, and Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Chili Mix. Tortilla chips. Shoepeg white corn.

New refrigerator scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning, sometime between 7:30 and 11:30 a.m.

Stay tuned for future developments.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A lot of Vegan recipes seem to replace the meat with mushrooms.
They do! Part of it is that a properly prepared mushroom has a texture very like cooked meat. I love grilling big portobello caps and having them on buns, like a burger.

gf goes to parents for dinner so i plan to make a single portion of chicken fried rice for my dinner :rolleyes3: kinda like my last supper since i get my teeth yanked out tommorrow morning with a new set of dentures to replace the teeth
I hope for you the same wonderful results I got! Bad, nasty teeth were out, pretty new ones went in, and I can eat most anything besides an unsliced apple now. AND I have a nice smile for the first time in my life!

Tonight...well...there was more brisket left than I had thought, so I'll polish that off.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lari Lari I am confused...how do you do a vegan Wellington?

Here's a take on a vegetarian / vegan Wellington: Vegetable Wellington | Savory

The soy sauce can be replaced with tamari sauce or something similar.

Dinner .... I have no clue yet. I took out a subscription meal from the freezer, another tandoori chicken, but I'm tired of that. I skipped a few weeks of deliveries because the offerings were meh. I may just have frozen chicken strips with rice or something.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope for you the same wonderful results I got! Bad, nasty teeth were out, pretty new ones went in, and I can eat most anything besides an unsliced apple now. AND I have a nice smile for the first time in my life!
Excuse me for butting in but thanks for being so encouraging. I need to get my teeth pulled soon because I have been grinding my teeth for years and they are worn down to a nub. I hate the thought of getting false teeth but I am not a good canditate for the implant surgery and it is so expensive.

game misconduct: I hope everything went well for you yesterday.

Last night they gave me a salad for dinner. It had lettuce, onion, tomatoes, and cucumber. I added some swiss cheese for protein. Of course there was no dressing. They had zucchini on the menu but I did not get any. I was told they were out of it. I guess the meat eaters get the vegetables and if there are any left the only vegetarian here can have some. That's not the first time they ran out of a vegetable before they got to me.

I always get oatmeal and cottege cheese for breakfast but this morning and yesterday all they gave me was watered down oatmeal. I asked for some cottege cheese but they never brought me any.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
game misconduct game misconduct Good luck with your dental appt!

I'm going to make that onion mac and cheese for dinner tonight. Let you know how it goes! I forgot to buy cavatappi, so I'm either going to use elbows or medium shells. Baby Swiss for the Gouda. Everything else will remain as is.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our caramelized onion mac and cheese was....Ok. Barely. The wine took over the overall flavor and that was really all we could taste. It was a lot of work for OK. We simply were not impressed. Now, to be fair, I used my BIL's white wine, which, to me, is strong. It's strong-tasting and strong-smelling. I think he makes Riesling and I'm not overly fond of it. Maybe with another wine?

I may try it again, but with another white wine. And instead of a cup, maybe 1/2 cup. Or maybe chicken broth? Everything else was fine. But it wasn't all that gooey and I like a gooey mac and cheese. Rick wasn't impressed at all; he actually liked my mac and cheese more. Again, he said the wine pretty much stole from the other flavors in the mix.

Here's the recipe anybody wants to try it. YMMV:
Caramelized Onion Mac and Cheese-Yankee Magazine, Jan-Feb 2022

3 tbsp olive oil
4 med onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 tsp granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus 1/2 tsp, plus more for the pasta water
8 ounces cavatappi or another tube-type pasta
2 tbsp butter, plus 1-1/2 tbsp butter for the bread crumbs
2 tbsp flour
1 cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
10 oz Greyere cheese, grated (or Gouda)
1 tbsp Dijon
1/4 tsp cayenne
4 oz crusty sourdough bread, crumbed in a blender or food processor with 1-1/2 tbsp of the above-mentioned butter

Heat oil in large frying pan over med-high heat. Add the onions and sweat for 10-15 minutes. When the juices come out of the onions, reduce heat to med-low and continue cooking until a golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes longer. (It took me a lot longer than 40 minutes.)

Turn oven to 400F. Cook pasta in salted water for 7-12 minutes, until tender to the bite. Drain in a colander.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add 2 tablespoons flour and stir for one minute. Add the wine and continue stirring until the mixture is smooth. Whisk in the cream. Add handfuls of cheese, stirring well until cheese is completely melted before adding the next handful. Add Dijon, 1/2 tsp salt, and the cayenne. Stir in the onions and the pasta, stirring until combined.

Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with the bread crumbs. Bake until top is browned and cheese bubbles, about 15 to 20 minutes. (My note: After you take it out of the oven, place on a rack, cover with foil, and let it for 10 minutes or so to firm up a bit.)

COMC.jpg

COMC2.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I met friends at a vegetarian restaurant for lunch and ordered a Quinoa Salad Bowl which I couldn't finish so had the leftovers for dinner. It had spinach, red quinoa, black beans, roasted corn, roasted peppers, cabbage, carrot, tomato, and jicama, house vinaigrette on the side. The menu included cilantro but I vehemently asked them to leave it off. 😉

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bad, nasty teeth were out, pretty new ones went in, and I can eat most anything besides an unsliced apple now. AND I have a nice smile for the first time in my life!
Thanks for sharing your bad teeth stories everybody, it makes me feel less alone. :hugs:

I hate the thought of getting false teeth but I am not a good candidate for the implant surgery and it is so expensive.
Same here. It would be a pain to glue the dentures in every day. But implants are so expensive. It's not fair. ☹

Our caramelized onion mac and cheese was....Ok. Barely.
Awww man, sorry it didn't turn out! Mac & Cheese isn't always good, but when it is, it's amazing.

Lunch: 2 slices Dad's Homemade Bread Toasted, 1TB Cashew Butter, 1TB Cinnamon Honey, 1/4 cup Walnuts.

Dinner: Huge Dinner Plate Salad with Thousand Islands Dressing. Cottage Cheese tastes really good with Thousand Islands Dressing!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, nobody ate dinner tonight?!

Lunch: Veggie Sammich
Dinner: Annie's Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Spirals with half a can of mixed veggies. It was terrible! Or else my mother cooked it wrong. Maybe I'll get another box and try cooking it myself. She tends to not follow the directions.
1640917101189.png

Status
Not open for further replies.