What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best mac and cheese, unfortunately, has no longer been in production for years.

It was Howard Johnson's frozen mac and cheese... OMG.. to die for... It had a crumb topping.
When it was baked in the oven, it was awesome.. I always had several of them in the freezer...

Stouffers is the only one which can even come close... close, but still so far away from HJ..
I had forgotten about that. Yes. It was really good. I remember going to the HJ restaurants when I was a kid. I always got the fried clams. So good.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember Howard Johnsons. I used to get a vegetable plate along with their mac and cheese when I went there. I hate to say this but Chick-fil-a has really good mac and cheese.

We had our Christmas dinner for lunch. I was not going to get it but it looked so good. Broccoli, baked yams and a cheese biscuit. Tasty and healthy.

My nephew is going to drop off my favorate Chinese food for dinner tonight,
Buddha's Delight.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Christmas dinner was amazing...
At my cousin's sons house..

Roast Prime Rib!! Roasted asparagus with some Parmesan cheese.. Roasted carrots with some herb.. so good.. I have to find out how they made the baby carrots...
Homemade Dinner rolls, Mashed potatoes, Gravy......
Apple pie, and tons, and tons of cookies...

My cousin's grandson, a high school sophomore; baked the dinner rolls, made and decorated sugar cookies this morning, helped with the roast, and made the mashed potatoes... OMG...
He is such a good kid... so smart.. He is working in IT in the high school... Him and his friends, made a computer from scratch!! OMG>>> a genius.. a complete genius.. an good kid, and a football player to boot!! so proud of him....

After supper, we played a game.. such a nice family day...

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our neighbors called and came down with a big pan of beef ribs,so with some leftover scalloped potatoes and green beans,that was dinner,I remember Howard Johnson's too.My favorite was the clam roll and their peppermint stick ice cream.Those were the days!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In Yankee magazine, there’s a recipe for Mac and cheese with caramelized onion, tons of Greyere, white wine and cream. It will be tested at our house some night this week. I guarantee it. Rick has requested it.

We didn’t have anything for dessert today because we’re saving it all for Tuesday when the kids come. Rick wasn’t amused, so when I got up this morning, I got tapioca soaking in the fridge. He dearly loves tapioca pudding and it hit the spot for him.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In Yankee magazine, there’s a recipe for Mac and cheese with caramelized onion, tons of Greyere, white wine and cream. It will be tested at our house some night this week. I guarantee it. Rick has requested it.

We didn’t have anything for dessert today because we’re saving it all for Tuesday when the kids come. Rick wasn’t amused, so when I got up this morning, I got tapioca soaking in the fridge. He dearly loves tapioca pudding and it hit the spot for him.
That does sound amazing. I'm with Rick. Tapioca pudding is severely underrated. I love it. Especially with whipped cream. YUM!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL, who is usually very good with my dietary restrictions, flaked out and forgot to remove food for me and J before adding dairy. Even the roast had butter on it which I thankfully double checked before I ate.

She redid a little salad for me, we did save some mashed potatoes before they got milk and butter, and she opened up a can of corn. It was really sad. Then my vegetarian BIL said he thought the Wellington they brought for their main dish was actually vegan. They looked it up and it was so we were able to have some and Christmas dinner was saved.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What's hot fruit? And what kind of fruit do you use?
Pour a big jar of applesauce into a baking dish. Drain and add a can of sliced peaches, a can of sliced pears, and a small jar of maraschino cherries. IF you can find canned apricots, a can of those goes well too. Mix well. dot with butter, sprinkle lavishly with brown sugar and cinnamon. Heat at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

Dinner was beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole (with LOTS of French's onions), cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. I can barely move. There's enough left over for another three, maybe four, meals!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
W Willowy Those melting potatoes are just delicious! We love them!
Kat0121 Kat0121 You're right about tapioca pudding. It's good stuff. I didn't put whipped cream on it, but it was good just plain. I don't make it often, so it hit the spot for Rick yesterday. It's supposed to soak overnight, but I didn't think about it until I got up. It was still fine.

Today will be leftovers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you bake it or microwave it?

Microwave. I didn't have an oven in the college dorm. The box had cook times for both. The recipe may have changed since then and may be way better than the gross stuff I had.

In Yankee magazine, there’s a recipe for Mac and cheese with caramelized onion, tons of Gruyere, white wine and cream. It will be tested at our house some night this week. I guarantee it. Rick has requested it.
One of these? Search for "mac and cheese"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pour a big jar of applesauce into a baking dish. Drain and add a can of sliced peaches, a can of sliced pears, and a small jar of maraschino cherries. IF you can find canned apricots, a can of those goes well too. Mix well. dot with butter, sprinkle lavishly with brown sugar and cinnamon. Heat at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
Sounds really easy, and with easy to find ingredients.

Not totally sure what I'm having today, but I bought lot of food on my last grocery trip that needs to be used. So probably naan pizzas or lasagna. I might even make both, if I'm feeling energetic, and have the pizza for lunch and the lasagna for dinner. I also bought a bag of salad, so will have to fit that into the menu too.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a salad is int he works for tonight.
I really overdid it on my diet. Sweets, sweets, sweets.... cookies, cookies, cookies!!
And Chocolate all over the place...

I even got a pound of fudge from a Candy House! OMG... have not had fudge for years....
And Chocolate covered turtles.... and different varieties of popcorn...

This is the year of SUGAR!! ugh...

I had to be polite and eat the cookies, as my cousin's wife made them and her grandson made more, by himself...

OMG>.. Unsweetened coffee with plain almond milk tastes really good this morning!

I OD'd on sugar yesterday!!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They gave me a greasy grilled cheese, a side salad and I opened a package of Pacific tomato soup to go with the grilled cheese. The soup was delicious and it made up for the crappy grilled cheese. I added some olives and broccoli from last nights dinner to the salad (lettuce and 2 cherry tomatoes). I had to use my vegan mayo for the salad as they gave me no dressing.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was in the high 40s, actually as high as you can get before it is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Even with the lids closed I'm concerned about meat in the coolers. I shifted the meat to a smaller cooler with the large blue re-freeze-able ice pack from the downstairs freezer I have been holding in reserve for just this situation. Tossed the fish and the package of thin sliced chicken breast - there was liquid in the ziplock bag.

Off to Wal-Mart for freezer / refrigerator thermometers so on Wednesday after the new unit is delivered and after I wipe it out, turn it on - I can be sure it is "at temperature" to reload with everything out of the coolers.

Decided to make chili with the remaining uncooked venison. Stopped at Shoprite for a piece of fresh pork belly. Arranged the pieces of venison and the chunks into which I'd cut the pork belly and put them on metal trays to go into the freezer to get icy. Brought the Kitchener meat grinder upstairs.

Whoops! There was a family Zoom later this afternoon. Meat was solid by the time I retrieved it from the freezer. Had to partially thaw. Chili got started late. Guess it will be tomorrow's dinner, and some future meals that will hibernate in the freezer.

Tonight Himself had hotdogs on buns and potato chips. He always likes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.