What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can't do it on the grill, I can't do it in the oven, and I can't do it in the crock pot. But it really works out well in the NFG. I think I was trying to cook it way too long. In the NFG, a thick London broil is done in about 15 minutes or so to an inner temp of 125F. Figure resting time and it gets up to about 135F. Still pink enough for me, but the ends are perfect for Rick. And it's not tough, another problem I always had. Rick slices it very thinly. It's a cheaper cut of beef and it's really good. (Giant had them B1G1F, so we got two nice-size pieces.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a hassle, if you have to scrub it off.

Rubbing alcohol easily dissolves most ink, even Sharpie permanent ink, with little scrubbing needed.

Did a quick trip to the supermarket. There were few people doing last minute shopping at the time. Got my onion and celery and milk and more chicken broth. The chicken thighs are still a little frozen but should be ready later.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions for how to include sauerkraut in a meal. I love the idea of having it for New Years Day, and since I'll be making a grocery run before then, I'll definitely look for it. There used to be a local brand that was refrigerated, so I'll look for that one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Did a quick trip to the supermarket. There were few people doing last minute shopping at the time.
You're lucky, I slept in and by the time I had breakfast/coffee and got out not only were the lines bad but traffic as well. I just needed a few things and had to make a stop at the P.O. but the grocery store parking lot was packed. I also picked up a fudge mocha cake at the bakery for Christmas brunch at our neighbors tomorrow. Normally I would bake but need the oven and stove for tonight's dinner.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go to the supermarket right when it opens at 7am :biggrin: Very few people at that time. Occasionally I'll drop by the one near work on my way home and that one is never crowded even in the afternoon.

My day early Christmas dinner:

20211224_163741~2[1].jpg

I need to tweak the rice pilaf recipe a bit more. Less butter (or omit it) and, if using brown jasmine rice, use less broth. I used white long grain rice last time and it came out well. The brown jasmine rice came out a bit on the mushy side even when I let it cook for double the amount of time. I don't really think the half stick of butter added much to the dish flavor-wise. It just made the dish too greasy.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken (boneless breast, cubed) and vegetables (celery, onion, carrots) with dumplings.

Dessert was fruitcake chopped up in Magic Bullet, shaped into little balls and chilled. Then dipped flattened base in dark chocolate. Cute but probably not worth the effort.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner was around 3. There was ham, rolls, steamed broccoli, and a jello mold that weresafe for me. There was cheese sauce for the broccoli and potatoes that were not.

My mom did make meringues, though, to make up for the fact I couldn't have pie.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was planning on my traditional Christmas Eve meal of grits casserole and hot fruit, but when I got everything out to start cooking, I realized that I had NOT ordered grits from Instacart this last time! ALAS! I'll have a frozen meal, but the hot fruit is in the oven now! I'll do the grits casserole for New Years Day.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The best mac and cheese, unfortunately, has no longer been in production for years.

It was Howard Johnson's frozen mac and cheese... OMG.. to die for... It had a crumb topping.
When it was baked in the oven, it was awesome.. I always had several of them in the freezer...

Stouffers is the only one which can even come close... close, but still so far away from HJ..

Status
Not open for further replies.