What's For Dinner? - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Usually I make a standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding for my birthday dinner. Back in December, Rick said he was really hungry for lasagna, so I suggested I do that for my birthday.
Happy, Birthday Winchester Winchester and many, many more! :dance:Your birthday dinner looks so scrumptious and your breads are amazing - I would love to sit down with a slice or two and a warm cup of coffee. Please ask Rick to move over and make room for me at the table. 😉

I've noticed that some people have not been posting here lately. I hope I have not chased anyone away with my post about assisted living and hunting in the vegetarian section. You people are the only ones I have to talk to.
Not at all, we love hearing about your meals there or when your sister and b-i-l bring something special over. 🤗 I haven't posted for the past 2-3 weeks because I had Phase 2 of a dental implant so my dinners were exceptionally boring, e.g. applesauce, pudding, jello, etc. But I got my stitches out and last night I made a big pot of veggie chili. We're supposed to get a lot of snow overnight and tomorrow so the chili will be my comfort food. And if we get snowed in I may decide to bake too.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, maggiedemi and neely. I noticed some people were not posting mucy lately and I take everything personal. Plus I am extremely paranoid about people not liking me and I talk too much about myself.

maggiedemi: I love reading about your plate meals.
neely: I Iove vegetarian chilli. I have a couple cans of Amy's chilli when I want some.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, maggiedemi and neely. I noticed some people were not posting mucy lately and I take everything personal. Plus I am extremely paranoid about people not liking me and I talk too much about myself.

maggiedemi: I love reading about your plate meals.
neely: I Iove vegetarian chilli. I have a couple cans of Amy's chilli when I want some.
I do not want to offend you or anyone else with what I post. I felt you were a bit out of sorts about the advice I was giving you.. so I am staying away from commenting... Giving you some space...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
C'mon over I made a big pot and there's plenty of servings. 🍲

I think I'll make a bowl for dinner tonight with broccoli, stewed tomatoes, avocado, green onion and black beans over brown rice. DH picked up 2 zucchini muffins at the bakery, one for each of us. I've been craving it ever since Winchester Winchester Question of the Day last Friday.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not want to offend you or anyone else with what I post. I felt you were a bit out of sorts about the advice I was giving you.. so I am staying away from commenting... Giving you some space...
I apologize if I made you or anyone else feel like that. The last thing I want to do is offend anyone who is trying to help me. I was tired and feeling frustrated and overwhelmed at the situation. I appreciate all the help I get in this forum. Please don't stop posting to me.

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C'mon over I made a big pot and there's plenty of servings. 🍲

I think I'll make a bowl for dinner tonight with broccoli, stewed tomatoes, avocado, green onion and black beans over brown rice. DH picked up 2 zucchini muffins at the bakery, one for each of us. I've been craving it ever since Winchester Winchester Question of the Day last Friday.
I would love to come over. Your dinner sounds wonderful. I never had zucchini muffins but would love to try them. I have never seen them around here. I always wondered where you live. I saw in another section that you lived in Chicago. No wonder you have so many nice restaurants to go to.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Veggie burger tonight. Not one of my favourite recipes so glad it was the last one from that batch.

Last night was "clean out the fridge" night, so I toasted some bread and made a sandwich with hummus and lettuce from a salad mix. Had the rest of the salad on the side, with Catalina dressing.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I was shocked that tonight’s dinner was not bad!!!! Shocking!!!!

Yes, the salmon was a bit overcooked, but not badly. It had a fresh herb coating to keep it a bit moist.
The rice pilaf was not bad— not the type I usually make, but not dried out or overcooked.
The broccoli was fresh!!! Cooked correctly.

I never order dessert, but I discovered their sweets are good. I ordered a chocolate chip cookie. Much to my surprise, I received 2 cookies!
One of the few decent meals I have gotten here.

They are asking for weekly evaluations of every meal— a weekly feedback form has been given to us for over a month. It is anonymous, so the comments are flying fast and furious!

I also ordered the turkey tortilla soup— base was much better than the last time I ordered soup. The turkey was in huge pieces, no tortilla, hardly any veggies, too much onions.

I will note that on my form.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel like a nice fresh garden tomato on bread with Mayo, and perhaps cheese.., or just as. On toast.

Thinking of Summer
That's funny...you don't look like a garden tomato... :flail: :crackup: :flail: :flail:

Tonight. Um. Not much. I've been cleaning for a week now. That's where I've been, instead of here. I'd rather have been here, but EVERY drawer and EVERY closet is cleared out and organized! SO...tonight. Probably a ham sandwich. I think I have enough oomph to spread mayo and mustard on bread. If not, I'll microwave a cup of ramen soup!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night. Shall we call it reassembled leftovers, or ingredients -

Defrosted a container of homemade navy beans and tomato glop. Sauteed coarsely cut mirepoix of carrots, celery, onions, finsh mostly cooking with some added broth. BTW - like me, do you also use vegetable peeler to de-string celery before cooking? Cubed some leftover broiled chicken thighs. And - the genius decision - used Cuisinart to crumb up Costco roll.

To assemble - layer of beans, layer of vegetables, chunks of chicken somewhat pushed down into base layers. Top with remaining beans, not that there were very many, and any juices from beans and sauteed vegetables.

Top with a goodly layer of crumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Into the toaster oven until crumbs nicely browned and everything piping hot.

Very nice. Crust stayed crunchy while everything was eaten. After the fact I realized I could have added some shredded cavolo nero kale, but I didn't. Next time. because for sure this was good enough that there will be a next time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't remember the last time I had a bagel. I really like the sesame ones especially with chive cream cheese. Thanks for the suggestion, I may have to splurge this weekend. :thumbsup:

As planned I had leftovers of my veggie chili over spinach leaves with an onion roll on the side. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault I have been peeling all celery for years! I think I saw Jacque Pepin do it, on one of his programs. I tried it, and loved the results. You do not get any of the celery threads caught in your teeth. It makes for a much more flavorful celery, and very tender.

I peel ti for all uses..

Last night the food here was inedible... Threw it out.. such a shame--people are starving, yet I am throwing out inedible food..

I had purchased a cinnamon raisin bagel, from TJ's, so I had that..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had a small slab of lasagna leftover that I was going to throw into the freezer. Rick said he wanted that for dinner. Well, that worked. So tonight we'll do that pork tenderloin with the scalloped potatoes and carrots.

Status
Not open for further replies.