What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For dinner I had spaghetti with tomato sauce and kidney/black/pinto bean mix. It tasted more like chili than spaghetti with the beans. I would rather have a bunch of veggies in it.

rubysmama rubysmama -- What do you put in your spaghetti for protein? I wasn't a big fan of the beans I used.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh. Cheez Whiz is what everyone I grew up with called the canned cheese.
That's not uncommon. This is the canned stuff,
1580170502908.png

I do not trust it. Squirting cheese out of a can is unnatural.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 The pork cops and sour cream gravy sounds really good
Sometimes, typos are unintentionally hilarious! I grew up in the 60s, when cops were routinely called "pigs," so that one make me laugh. NOTE: Be very careful to clean your cops well before baking...those guns will go off in the oven!

All kidding aside, the chops were excellent, and I have two left over. I don't keep pork hanging around long in the fridge, so tonight I'l going to heat them and the gravy, and have them on toast.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
if you wanted some chicken for a chicken and mushroom sauce over pasta or rice what your you do - cook some chicken from scratch to use in an assembled meal the same day, or go buy a Costco barbecue chicken?
I don't cook specifically so that I have leftovers, however when I end up with some I think they're fun to combine into something new.

Tonight I had some leftover storebought rotisserie chicken, and also had enough leftover Mac 'n cheese for one of us. I cooked up some additional wide egg noodles-I had enough of these for one person.

For the chicken, I made the sauce from Cooks Illustrated's recipe for Butter Chicken, chopped up the rotisserie chicken, dumped that in the finished sauce, heated it, and served over the pasta. Not fancy, really, but darn tasty :)!

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not uncommon. This is the canned stuff,
View attachment 319770
I do not trust it. Squirting cheese out of a can is unnatural.

Sometimes, typos are unintentionally hilarious! I grew up in the 60s, when cops were routinely called "pigs," so that one make me laugh. NOTE: Be very careful to clean your cops well before baking...those guns will go off in the oven!

All kidding aside, the chops were excellent, and I have two left over. I don't keep pork hanging around long in the fridge, so tonight I'l going to heat them and the gravy, and have them on toast.
Ha!!!!! I just saw this, lmao!!! pork cops, oh my!!

Confession time: Forgive Father for I have Sinned, it's been 10 years since my last confession: I usually keep a can of cheese on hand for those days when I just cannot even make soup or grilled cheese. I squirt it on Crunchmaster crackers which
are amazing.:paperbag:

Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Oven Baked Crackers 5-Seed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do cook for leftovers. Rick is home and he likes something for lunch. So while I may not cook enough to freeze for later anymore since we're both home all the time, I will cook an extra serving so he can eat it for lunch in a couple of days. We don't mind leftovers at all.

Shrimp for dinner tonight. Over my version of brown rice pilaf.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama -- What do you put in your spaghetti for protein? I wasn't a big fan of the beans I used.
Beans and spaghetti doesn't sound appealing to me, so not surprised you didn't care for it.

I don't have spaghetti itself very often, but do have other pastas, and will often just use either a bottled tomato sauce, or make my own with canned tomatoes, chopped veggies, etc. So nothing overly protein-y.

However, the pasta itself does have protein. There's also a new protein pasta you could maybe try. Protein+™: High Protein Pasta | Barilla

With spaghetti, you could always top with veggie balls.

You could also try some of the faux-ground beef crumbles, to make it like traditional meat sauce. I've only ever tried the Yves brand, and didn't like it, but interestingly enough, was thinking about trying another brand for chili. Maybe beefless ground | Gardein. Or BEYOND BEEF® CRUMBLES BEEFY - Beyond Meat - The Future of Protein™

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been a jam making fool today!We were almost out,and I went out in the freezer yesterday...guess what I found?Yes,and I know there's more out there...12 pints today.Anyway,neither one of us are particularly hungry,so I'm thinking I'll heat up leftovers from last night and call it good.Might have to have a piece of toast with fresh jam on it :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also a new protein pasta you could maybe try.
Great idea, I never thought of that.

This sounds good! It says it's made of pea protein instead of soy.

you could always top with veggie balls.
I haven't found these yet. I only found ones made of soy not veggies.

For dinner I had the most amazing salad ever. It had my new favorite holy trinity of Chickpeas, Cashews, and Sunflower Seeds. Also lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, red bell pepper, jalapenos, guacamole, dried cranberries, diced mango, sliced grapes, sharp cheese, croutons, and Thousand Islands Dressing.

If you're wondering how I fit all that on one dinner plate, well they don't call me "Old One Plate" for nothing! I can fit an entire buffet on one plate. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie Toast with freshly made jam sounds yummy! What kind of jam did you make?

Tonight's menu will be roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. I'm thinking of baby carrots roasted with honey, parsley and rosemary. And a simple chocolate pudding for dessert. It's been ages since I made chocolate pudding.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For dinner I had the most amazing salad ever. It had my new favorite holy trinity of Chickpeas, Cashews, and Sunflower Seeds. Also lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber, red bell pepper, jalapenos, guacamole, dried cranberries, diced mango, sliced grapes, sharp cheese, croutons, and Thousand Islands Dressing.
That sounds amazing!

If you're wondering how I fit all that on one dinner plate, well they don't call me "Old One Plate" for nothing! I can fit an entire buffet on one plate. :thumbsup:
We need pics! :camera:

For dinner I had Pacific Foods Organic Roasted Pepper and Tomato Soup and some salting crackers. I also had a piece of pecan pie for desert.
I've been craving tomato soup, so that sounds yummy. :yummy:

Are you feeling better, muffy muffy ?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds amazing!

We need pics! :camera:

I've been craving tomato soup, so that sounds yummy. :yummy:

Are you feeling better, muffy muffy ?
Hi Rubysmama,
No, I am not any better. My doctor said something about me going to the ER if my IBS does not clear up. I still need to go have a colonoscopy and one other test.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to hear that muffy muffy . I hope things get better for you soon. :hugs:

I haven't posted here in a few days, so will try to remember what I've eaten. Sunday and Monday was Lentil Soup Last night I needed comfort food for my tummy, so I just had some Quaker Oatmeal. Tonight was quick macaroni with bottled tomato sauce, a tea biscuit, and an apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.