What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night I roasted a turkey thigh. The girls and I shared it. I bought a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters over the weekend. Last night I cut them up and put some in a mesquite marinade. I will pack them up and freeze them. I left some plain so I can share those with the cats. I think tonight I will cook a leg and thigh that I marinated since they had turkey last night. Some kind of veggie to go with. Maybe green beans.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been busy in the garden splitting and moving perennials, so dinners have been last minute, I'm starving, what can I have that's quick. Last night was Gardein Crispy Tenders and french fries, with a Gala apple for dessert. And 2 nights ago was pasta from the freezer that I quickly microwaved. Not sure about tonight, but it's a bit rainy, so probably won't be gardening, which should give me time to cook something from scratch.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast- Honey Bunches of Oats Vanilla Almond Granola, small diced apple, 2% cow milk

Lunch- Veggie Sammich- toasted Great Value multi-grain bread, mayo, hot sauce, swiss chard, tomato, cucumber, raw broccoli, sliced almonds, flax & chia seed mix. Best bread ever! They win hands down for best and hugest.

Dinner- Tried to make a stir-fry again and failed again. 😭

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eggplant is something I can't eat. My MIL made ratatouille for us one time. She told me I HAD to take one bite. I did and gagged on it. I don't know why; it's not appealing to me in the slightest.
Don't let that put you off of ALL ratatouille. It was actually developed as a tasty way to use bumper-crop vegetables, so leave out anything you don't care for, add in something you love. The trick is to cook each veggie separately before combining them, so that you have a beautiful, full-color dish, with each veggie retaining its unique flavor. If you cook them all together from the start, you miss all the best parts.

Tonight is spaghetti and meat sauce. I had taken a freezer bag of each out on Saturday, then kept forgetting they were in the fridge, thawed and ready to go!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a macaroni salad today and was really looking forward to it til I realized I am out of green olivesBrainstorm...pickled jalapenos!No heat and there's a hint of oregano...into the salad they went and was a success.Hubby loved it too,along with the leftover fried chicken.He had a small sliced tomato and I had cucumber slices.Yum!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow, no kidding? These sounds really good.

leftovers, it was a mishmash of this that and the other and worked out quite nicely, and tasty too :thumbsup:
I'd have to dig out the recipe,but the brine is very simple,and I just keep them in the fridge.It's just vinegar,water,salt and a little bit of sugar and a hint of dried oregano. I deveined and deseeded the peppers...I can tolerate a little heat but he wants none at all...sliced them up and there you go.Great with cream cheese on a bagel.We didn't grow any this year so I may have to buy a few at the farmers market.I did 2 full quarts and this one is almost gone.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I have a feeling that Rick's mother cooked it all together. I remember that it was a drab dish and not appetizing at all. I had never had eggplant until that night; I won't eat it again.

There's a recipe in the new issue of Cook's Illustrated for French Chicken with Vinegar and that's on our menu tonight. Hasselback potatoes, and a salad.

Giant had chicken pieces on sale for $0.79 per pound. I bought a tray of legs, a tray of thighs, and a tray of quarters. Got them home, separated everything into meal quantities, and ran them through the Food Saver. And tossed them all in the freezer.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These eggplant recipes seem easy to make:

None specify the type of eggplant to use. I'm assuming the typical large oval shaped eggplant found in supermarkets. I wonder if a different type would work just as well :think: The independent grocery store has a least a dozen different varieties of eggplant. I don't remember which ones these are:

20200816_090439_HDR[1].jpg

Dinner was leftover salad. It needed croutons but I didn't have any.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love that recipe if you have a chance :yummy:
Pickled Jalapenos
3/4 c water 3/4 c white vinegar 3T sugar 1 T pickling salt 1 clove crushed garlic 1/2 t oregano
Bring the pickling liquid to a boil
Prepare your peppers however you want,seeded and deveined ,or not,sliced in rings ....I cut mine in half lengthwise,got rid of the seeds and veins and sliced in 1/4" "half moons".
Add peppers to the hot liquid,take off heat and let cool 10 min.
Pack into jars,cover with juice,cover and store in the fridge.
If you'd want to can them,I might do them in pint or half pint jars,make sure to leave a 1/2" headspace,wipe the rim of the jar with a damp paper towel,finger tighten only the screw on ring and water bath process for 10 minutes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, since the air fryer got here, I WAS going to use it tonight...HOWEVER...spent the afternoon at my doctor's office, having bottle brushes stuck up my snout due to the arrival of fever, body aches and tummy upset. And THAT said, my very cautious Dr. says that he is confident that, while I do have "a" virus, I don't have "THE" virus. We'll know in a few days. There's a flu-like virus going around here, only lasts 3-5 days or so, but is scaring everyone to death. That is almost certainly what I have.

And in honor of said virus, I shall be heating a can of chicken and rice soup to have with crackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.