What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had my delicious salad for lunch yesterday, and for dinner wanted some comfort food, so made Kraft Dinner. Normally, I would end up having some for a 2nd meal, then throwing out the rest, however, in these days of trying to make food last as long as possible, I carefully measured out 3 servings, and will have one today, and freeze the third one. Anyone ever freeze Kraft Dinner? Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. :dunno:
I never have. I don't reheat it or any macaroni & cheese. It breaks down and gets greasy and makes my stomach upset. DD too. Good luck. I made a box the other day and ate the leftovers cold. Not fridge cold. Room temperature and it was fine. Neither of us can eat it reheated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever freeze Kraft Dinner? Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. :dunno:
Mac & Cheese is never a waste of time. I say try it. They have a lot of casserole recipes on their website. If I try one, I will definitely have to freeze the leftovers.

I forgot to post what I ate yesterday.

For lunch I had the rest of the squash pasta my mom made.

For dinner I tried to make my own squash pasta. Mine turned out better than my mom's because I used linguine, not gluten-free. It was good, but next time I would use a recipe to make it even better. I just winged it and threw different things in- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil, linguine, pureed squash, soy milk, parmesan cheese, butter, green peas, flaxseed, crushed cashews, oregano, basil, garlic parsley salt, black pepper, jalapeno powder, 2 cheese slices, 5 almond cookies crushed up on top, baked 30 minutes at 350.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I've never even tried to freeze mac and cheese, although "they" say you can do so. I freeze lasagna, baked ziti, etc. all the time and it is fine. Good luck and let us know how it comes out when you reheat. I'm really curious.

For dinner tonight, we have a wee bit of leftover potato salad and a small bowl of our crock pot beans. (I also got two quarts of beans for the freezer, so that was good). Not sure what we're having with our leftovers. Maybe just our leftovers.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight? ANYTHING I WANT! Just got back from Dr's office, and I LOST EIGHT POUNDS! Which amazed me, because I've been eating like a bird (they eat about 1 and a half times their own weight in food a day). I guess the apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice are working!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from Dr's office, and I LOST EIGHT POUNDS!
Have you been eating less protein? I lost weight when I cut back my protein.

For lunch I had Kashi peanut butter granola cereal with honey lime pineapple chunks and soy milk. The pineapple and peanut butter was really good together! Just as good as a banana. I love my soy milk.

I'll be back later to say what I had for dinner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama I've never even tried to freeze mac and cheese, although "they" say you can do so. I freeze lasagna, baked ziti, etc. all the time and it is fine. Good luck and let us know how it comes out when you reheat. I'm really curious.
I'm not super confident, but if it's edible, and I'm at the "nothing in the house" point before braving the grocery stores, I'll probably make it a meal. :lol:

Just got back from Dr's office, and I LOST EIGHT POUNDS!
That's a good thing, right. 🤗 Are you still following that diet?

I love my soy milk.
I like soy milk too. But there is some controversy with soy, so though I don't avoid it, I don't overeat it either. Everything in moderation, right. ;)

I'll be back later to say what I had for dinner.
I will be too. But spoiler alert, it's probably going to involve salad. 🥗

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need a name for what I made for dinner.

Thin sliced boneless pork cutlets, pounded even thinner, then sliced into strips. Stir fried in wok. Added a splash of soy sauce, clapped lid on while I did other things.

Fiddleheads tossed into boiling water in which I was cooking pappardelle noodles, the wide ones. As soon as they floated I scooped them out and put into wok with pork.

Asparagus sliced with rolling cut, microwave in cooking bag for 90 seconds. As soon as they were done tossed into wok with pork.

Scooped out pappardelle and plated up, tossed everything else over the noodles.

So it's sort of a stir fry as far as meat and vegetables but not really because of the noodles. What would you call it?
Foraging_2020-04_pork with fiddleheads, asparagus over wide noodles.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you call it?
Chow Fun? I need to get some of those noodles.

For dinner I made a casserole with olive oil, linguine, crumbled up veggie burger, pasta sauce, peas, carrots, flax seed, crushed walnuts, Italian seasoning, black pepper, garlic parsley salt, cilantro, habanero powder, 2 slices cheese, 5 almond toffee cookies crushed up. The almond cookies made it taste like mole sauce, very interesting!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi I have not used these pappardelle noodles before. But when I saw them at the local IGA two weeks ago I grabbed a package. They're in a cellophane bag, rolled up in little nests. No suggestion for cooking time.

I'm curious about your comment vis-a-vis the crumbled almond cookies making your dinner taste like mole sauce. I thought mole sauce was made with unsweetened chocolate.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not used these pappardelle noodles before.
Have you ever seen chow fun? It looks kinda like what you made with the wide noodles.

I'm curious about your comment vis-a-vis the crumbled almond cookies making your dinner taste like mole sauce. I thought mole sauce was made with unsweetened chocolate.
There is chocolate in these almond cookies!
Amazon.com : Brown and Haley Almond Roca (1) 10 OZ Can : Toffee Candy : Grocery & Gourmet Food

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi apparently noodles for chow fun are supposed to be rice noodles. The pappardelle are wheat flour - the Italian knock-off that Marco Polo brought home from his travels.

I did find an online recipe for making your own rice noodles for chow fun. All you need is rice flour - the writer said to use the Thai version with the three red elephants on the package as the Chinese rice flour doesn't work. Plus corn starch, water, and oil. Mix batter and use a bamboo steamer to steam in pie pans, sort of like a crepe type thing. Prepare, steam, roll, slice.

Myself, I think the pappardelle will do just fine for me.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I think your dinner looked so good!

Our dinner tonight will be something with shrimp, not sure what. Maybe shrimp oregano. Or just plain old BBQed shrimp. Or tequila lime grilled shrimp (I'm always looking for excuses to grab my bottle of tequila!). With applesauce brownies for dessert.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here you go. These have no chocolate. And they are really good!
You can also find the recipe here: Recipes - Cookies

Applesauce Brownies

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup chopped nuts or 1/2 cup each nuts and raisins
Confectioners’ sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9-inch pan. Sift flour with soda, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and set aside. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Beat in flour mixture just to combine. Stir in applesauce, nuts and raisins. Turn into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into squares.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Dinner has been so indefinite lately, I made boneless chicken breasts for DH yesterday so he has enough leftovers for two more dinners. But I haven't had too much of an appetite at dinner. Yesterday I had broccoli with a garbanzo cake and will possibly have lentil soup tonight. We went to the grocery store for produce today and got honeycrisp apples for an unbelievable price, i.e.69 cents a lb. 👍

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Last night, I ended up with marinaded grilled shrimp over brown rice. Made the rice using leftover chicken broth, added sauteed onion and chopped peppers. Threw in some peas. And then put the grilled shrimp on top of the rice. Wasn't bad, I guess.

Tonight will be leftover sweet and sour pork from the freezer. I put it in the fridge yesterday to thaw.
And today, I'll take a dough ball out of the freezer to thaw for tomorrow's pizza; I already have bulk sausage thawing for tomorrow, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.