What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leftover salad. It has pearl barely, greens, walnuts, chickpeas, carrots, and cucumbers in it. I'm going to have to pause the subscription after the next delivery. I have way too many of the meals stored in the freezer and need space for the cats' raw.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not that cold. But it is gray, gloomy, wet weather. I wanted something warm and nourishing. So

I started mid morning by rubbing some pieces of boneless pork spare ribs with a dry marinade of salt, freshly ground black pepper, mashed garlic clove, some fresh thyme and fresh rosemary. Into the refrigerator with it.

About an hour and a bit before I wanted to serve dinner I cut 2 slices of bacon into pieces and pan cooked, then set aside on a paper towel to drain. Sauteed a diced onion in the bacon grease. Set aside. Browned the pork pieces, after wiping with a paper towel to dry. Returned everything to frying pan. Added some crushed tomatoes (from a can) and some stock. Added the peel from a clementine, cut in pieces so I could tuck them in here and there rather than one large serpentine piece. See where I'm going? Yup, sort of a saute Marengo. Put a flame tamer over burner, set covered pan on flame tamer, and let things simmer quite slowly for an hour.

Since we've had pasta the last few days (noodles, anyone?) and I didn't want rice I made barley.

Very nice. Meat very tender, very tasty, good with tomatoes etc and barley made a pleasant slightly chewy accompaniment. Topped everything off with crisp bacon pieces.

There's some barley, a couple of pieces of meat, tomatoes, onion left over. I'm thinking . . . more stock, cut the meat from strips to cubes, add tomato stuff - and I shall call it . . . Soup!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hot dogs with cheese and onions! Aren't you shocked!

Have you been eating less protein? I lost weight when I cut back my protein.
That's a good thing, right. 🤗 Are you still following that diet?
The only thing I'm doing is downing a tablespoon of vinegar in 4 ounces of cranberry juice twice a day. And eat like a horse.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I'm doing is downing a tablespoon of vinegar in 4 ounces of cranberry juice twice a day.
You know I'm a worrier, so I had to comment and just say "make sure you Google to ensure the vinegar won't react badly with any medications you might be taking". 🤗

Last night I decided to make black bean burgers, and went with the recipe neely neely mentioned last year. Here's the link to where I posted the recipe the last time I made them. : Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Vegetarian/vegan

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Friday is turning into Pizza Night around here. Pizza with sausage, onions, and peppers. Pepper jack and mozz are the only cheeses I have left in the fridge, so a combination of the two.
That's a pretty good combination of cheeses.

I think I will have pizza too except mine will be a frozen Amy's roasted vegetable pizza. I will add sliced black olives and shallots to it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, sort of a saute Marengo.
Wow. That was impressive. I hope I can cook like that someday.

For lunch yesterday I had some blueberry ginger granola that I bought online, with regular milk.

For dinner I had a roasted potato, carrot, zucchini, onion, garlic mix that came frozen, baked it in the oven.
Also tried to cook a veggie burger & noodles on the stovetop in this Korean Gochujang sauce my brother sent me, but I added soy sauce to it and it was really salty. I guess I need to find a recipe.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I tried to make a casserole with the Gochujang sauce, but it tasted weird. I really liked what I did for the topping though! I got the idea to mix some granola cereal with melted butter and use that instead of breadcrumbs. I really liked it!

For dinner we had a Spanish rice type dish, but made with quinoa instead of rice. I am really loving quinoa!
It had quinoa, black beans, yellow bell pepper, onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, salsa, parsley garlic salt, Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, shredded cheese, nacho chips, hot sauce.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Himself wasn't very hungry so I made him a frizzled ham and cheese wrap with some raw arugula added, for crunch.

I had been working on making kasha varnishkes today so that's what I had. It has slow sautee diced onions. Set aside in large bowl. Saute sliced mushrooms. Add to the large bowl. Cube, salt, press, dry, fry eggplant (not traditional but this recipe calls for eggplant and I like it.) Add to large bowl. (See why a large bowl is specified?) Beat an egg. Stir kasha with egg - now to be exact, kasha actually means "porridge" but here it means buckwheat. I use coarse cracked buckwheat. Dry fry the egg and buckwheat until the grains separate. Add stock, cover pan, simmer until broth is absorbed. Combine onion, mushroom, eggplant, kasha . . . Wait! You are not quite done. Cook some noodles, broken into pieces. Only I like farfallini, little bowtie pasta. Mix that in with everything else and now you have an enormous bowl of kasha varnishkes. Which I will have for multiple meals.

*-

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Delmonico steaks on the grill today. Rick found some asparagus up in the garden that's ready to be cut, so I'll make fresh asparagus to go with our steaks. The mint is up in the flower bed, so we'll have fresh mint tea. We're thinking of twice-baked potatoes, too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spaghetti and meatball. Work ordered lunch for Thursday but since I had the day off, I brought the lunch home yesterday. It's from Bertucci's and is pretty disappointing. The container has like 3 giant servings of spaghetti and only 2 golf ball sized meatballs. The sauce, if you could call it that, is chunked pieces of tomato in a little watery liquid. I think Bertucci's quality has gone way downhill 👎 Not sure how much it cost work but at least $12 and likely more. I'm just going to have half of the dish and eat the rest tomorrow.

M maggiedemi I saw this and thought it might be helpful for you to plan out your vegetarian meals: A Week of Easy, Make-Ahead Vegetarian Dinners

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.