What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I bought 2 green peppers today, though, so I think I'm going to chop them up and put them in the freezer to have for when recipes call for it.
Whenever I see peppers of any color on sale, I always pick a bunch up, slice or dice them, and throw them in the freezer. I always have a ton of peppers on hand for pretty much anything. I dice some, I slice some, I chunk some. It works.

Last night, we had hot dogs and the leftover beans from the other night. I had my last pickled egg.
Tonight, we're having ham and cheese calzones with the last of Easter ham that I kept in the fridge to use in recipes. I also put a ton of ham in some containers for recipes later on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whenever I see peppers of any color on sale, I always pick a bunch up, slice or dice them, and throw them in the freezer. I always have a ton of peppers on hand for pretty much anything. I dice some, I slice some, I chunk some. It works.
I used to keep frozen chopped peppers for when I needed it for a recipe, but then I'd forget about it, and end up green-binning it a year later when it was totally frost-bitten. But I'm willing to try again, and maybe since I can't get to the grocery store as often as before, I'll actually remember it's there, and use it.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a small bowl of smashed potato salad today,and when we went to Aldis,they had beautiful fresh green beans,so I think we'll have some of the fried chicken,the tater salad and green beans for dinner tonight.Sounds good to me!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite salad and thankfully I had all the ingredients. It is a home version of the Pecan Crusted Chicken salad served at Friday’s restaurants. It has romaine lettuce, chicken, celery, cranberries, candied pecans, croutons and mandarin oranges in it with a creamy balsamic viniagrette dressing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. Our house is always a grocery store with my mom's hoarding, so we have enough food for 10 years. :thumbsup:

For lunch I had Kashi Berry Fruitful square cereal with a fancy coffee flavored granola and regular milk. The granola had good flavor, but it didn't have the big oatmeal clusters that I love, so that was a fail. 👎

OMG, for dinner I made the best casserole! I was so scared because I just tossed in random things and it looked like crap. But it tasted so good! Pasta spirals, pesto, Butter Beans, diced tomato, pineapple, 1 TB crushed up pistachios, 1 TB flax seed, 2 TB Olive Oil, 1/8 tsp each of cayenne, Italian seasoning, black pepper, garlic parsley salt, 2 Swiss Cheese slices, 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs with 1 TB melted butter. Baked in toaster oven at 350 for 30 min.
Happened upon an article about hot sauce I thought to you might enjoy.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We bought fresh onion rolls the other day and only have two left so we're going to have veggie quinoa burgers on them. I always add hummus and fresh veggies to mine, DH just adds a slice of swiss lorraine cheese. Fresh raspberries for dessert. Best of all, the store we shopped at this week got a fresh supply of my beloved dark chocolate bars w/espresso beans in. They were sold out the last time we were there so I can't wait to savor a few pieces tonight. 🍫

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happened upon an article about hot sauce I thought to you might enjoy.
Thanks. I like all those hot sauces! I agree, Cholula is the best one of those. But Marie Sharp is the best hot sauce of all time.🌶

green curry paste, Thai fish sauce, coconut milk, chicken broth) with spinach
I need to learn how to cook with curry paste and coconut milk one of these days. Minus the meat of course.

For lunch I finished the Kashi Berry Fruitful cereal and had some of that boring granola on top with milk.
For dinner I made an enchilada casserole, but it wasn't very good. I think I messed up on the spices. I put Cajun Seasoning, Black Pepper, Cumin, and Chili Powder. I didn't add an salt because the Cajun seasoning and chili powder already had salt in them.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
While I was making dough for the calzones yesterday, I made a dough ball for tonight. Pepperoni pizza with lots of onions and peppers. I'm going to do it in the cast iron frying pan.

I had read about Smithfield shutting down the meat-packing plant in S.D. due to the virus. But I haven't bought any Smithfield products (including Nathan's, Farmland, Armour, Gwaltney's, etc) for quite a while because of the animal cruelty charges.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you're in Canada I'm not sure if you heard there is a meat shortage here so I thought I would post this info:
U.S. Meat Supply Is 'Perilously Close' To A Shortage, CEO Warns
I've seen that about the US, and there's concern here in Canada too. Not a problem for me, unless carnivores start looking for veggie protein alternatives. Which wouldn't really be a bad thing, in the long run, but not if in the short run it creates shortages in vegetarian/vegan products.

I don't eat meat either but maybe I should buy some extra pasta just in case. ;)
I already brought extra pasta and rice. And this week bought extra dry beans and lentils. Maybe I should buy some backup Gardein products next, but I don't want to have too much, in case we end up with a power outage.

Last night I finally cooked something - Edamame Egg Fried Rice. It didn't quite make enough for 2 meals, but was too much for just one, so I split it and made do with less than I would have normally eaten.

1587122421661.png

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edamame Egg Fried Rice
Is that yellow part egg? Did you use soy sauce? Looks good.

bbq picnic plate
That sounds fancy! How was it?

For lunch I finished up that crappy grain-free granola without the clusters, mixed it with some diced pear and milk. I'm trying to eat more fruit.
For dinner I tried making an enchilada casserole again, but it didn't taste right. I'm doing something wrong. I'll keep practicing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that yellow part egg? Did you use soy sauce? Looks good.
Yes, yellow part is egg. And also, yes, for soy sauce. Plus, onion and garlic, and of course edamame and rice. The original recipe called for sesame oil, but I found that almost made it too greasy, so I skip it.

Last night I had SALAD. So good, as it had been a couple weeks since I'd had salad, what will my current infrequent grocery store trips. 🥗

Not sure what I'll be having tonight, but maybe something that can use some green pepper, since I bought a couple of them. Or maybe veggie burgers, as I'm kinda craving one. 🍔

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tonight I took myself out for a romantic dinner for 1. The restaurant was called Moon and they do fancy calzones! Get it? Because calzones look like half moons? I've been there before so already knew it would be good. I had the "red moon" which is sun-dried tomatoes, roasted eggplant, and mozzarella inside with arugula, garlic sauce, and red pepper flakes on top. It was delicious! but I couldn't quite finish the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.