What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hot dogs. With cheese and onions. Aren't y'all just shocked??? But there's an open pack in the fridge, and I want to use it up.

If I could remember to pick up a couple of boxes of mac and cheese, I could do those with hot dogs. NO, you don't want to waste real, homemade, baked mac and cheese on that. The boxed stuff is actually better with the hot dogs. It needs that "kid" quality to it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hot dogs. With cheese and onions. Aren't y'all just shocked??? But there's an open pack in the fridge, and I want to use it up.

If I could remember to pick up a couple of boxes of mac and cheese, I could do those with hot dogs. NO, you don't want to waste real, homemade, baked mac and cheese on that. The boxed stuff is actually better with the hot dogs. It needs that "kid" quality to it.
I picked up 3 boxes of Kraft 3 cheese. It's way better than the original. I agree that fancy mac & cheese doesn't work as well with hot dogs. They also don't do as well as cheeseburger macaroni. I might have that tomorrow.

Tonight I shared a broiled chicken thigh with the girls. I had pasta with herbs & olive oil on the side.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking of that "kid" quality I had one kiddo who also ate mac & cheese with hot dogs and another who ate it with albacore tuna fish. And DH liked his mac & cheese with bacon bits.

Last night's dinner was a big veggie salad. Since the lockdown I haven't been as hungry at dinner. Tonight I'm planning to have Trader Joe's Farfalle with four-cheese & spinach over spinach salad.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For lunch I made a single serving of baked pasta casserole. I ground up some pistachios and put them in with the seasoned breadcrumbs and butter for topping the casserole. :thumbsup:

For dinner I had a huge dinner salad with thousand island dressing. I ruined it by putting a Tablespoon of hot sauce on it. 👎:lol::lol::lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I braved the scary grocery store this morning (it actually wasn't too bad, not a lot of people, and everyone social distancing) so my fridge and pantry aren't looking empty anymore.

If I could remember to pick up a couple of boxes of mac and cheese,
You inspired me, so I bought some mac and cheese, or Kraft Dinner, as it's called here. 🇨🇦

Last night's dinner was a big veggie salad.
Also bought a bag of salad, and tomatoes. 🥗 🍅

Not sure what I'm having tonight, but since I have a good supply of food, maybe I'll make something from scratch.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I braved the scary grocery store this morning (it actually wasn't too bad, not a lot of people, and everyone social distancing) so my fridge and pantry aren't looking empty anymore.

You inspired me, so I bought some mac and cheese, or Kraft Dinner, as it's called here. 🇨🇦

Also bought a bag of salad, and tomatoes. 🥗 🍅

Not sure what I'm having tonight, but since I have a good supply of food, maybe I'll make something from scratch.
I grew up in NY and when I was a kid we called it Kraft Dinner too. That was back in the 70's.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the meatloaf I hauled out of the freezer thaws in time, that's what we will have tonight. I have it sitting on an aluminum frying pan so that will help speed things along.

Usually I would accompany it with baked potatoes. But I don't have any. Will par-cook some Yukon Gold and turn them into oven roasted potatoes.

Are the rest of you also adapting / amending / altering your recipes to cope with what you do / don't have?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are the rest of you also adapting / amending / altering your recipes to cope with what you do / don't have?
Yup. I substituted celery for green pepper in my noodle casserole last week. It worked out ok, and gave the casserole a bit of a crunch.

I bought 2 green peppers today, though, so I think I'm going to chop them up and put them in the freezer to have for when recipes call for it.

Didn't end up cooking after all tonight. Just going to have a toasted fried egg sandwich.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. Our house is always a grocery store with my mom's hoarding, so we have enough food for 10 years. :thumbsup:

For lunch I had Kashi Berry Fruitful square cereal with a fancy coffee flavored granola and regular milk. The granola had good flavor, but it didn't have the big oatmeal clusters that I love, so that was a fail. 👎

OMG, for dinner I made the best casserole! I was so scared because I just tossed in random things and it looked like crap. But it tasted so good! Pasta spirals, pesto, Butter Beans, diced tomato, pineapple, 1 TB crushed up pistachios, 1 TB flax seed, 2 TB Olive Oil, 1/8 tsp each of cayenne, Italian seasoning, black pepper, garlic parsley salt, 2 Swiss Cheese slices, 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs with 1 TB melted butter. Baked in toaster oven at 350 for 30 min.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went grocery shopping today and actually had some lunch at Sonic,so neither one of us was really hungry.I had bought a bag of fried chicken and that's what we had...I had a breast and he had a leg and a thigh.Good enuf and their chicken is always yummy!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did get jjajangmyeon last night and did my obligatory "singles day" instagram post. The guy I have a long-term crush on was actually the one who recommended the restaurant to me before last year's singles day (we live in the same-ish neighborhood and last year I'd just moved in, so didn't know restaurants that well and he's known to be somewhat of a foodie) and so he commented on my post asking about how it was and then recommending me try something else on the menu. It makes me feel special when he comments, but I know it's just because he's a nice guy. Cuz...the thing is...is that he's relatively famous in Korea...so the rules of engagement are much different than just being able to walk up and say "I like you." :sigh:

Sometimes I think I'm getting over it, but then we have some kind of interaction that stokes the flame. A couple of months ago, he actually tried to buy me a drink only to remember that I don't drink alcohol and that the water was self-serve...🤦‍♀️ lol that about sums up our relationship.

But anyway, the fact that it was singles' day and he made the effort to comment and reply just sort of made me feel a bit more special. Who knew a bowl of noodles could have such an effect on a girl? I'm glad I decided to go out! hahahaha

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The meatloaf DID defrost in time (better living through physics, the aluminum frying pan once again worked its magic.) Meatloaf always good. The potatoes were oven roasted but I used some small baking potatoes that had decided that, hey, it's spring, let's sprout. Rubbed off the little sprouts (though I did think about maybe in these days of covid-19 should I chit and plant) par-cooked and oven roasted. Carrots and cauliflower as the side dish.

Why, you ask, with the delectable fresh spinach did I not cook that? Two reasons: spinach and meatloaf doesn't sound appealing to me. And tomorrow I'm going to make shrimp with curry paste and coconut milk, served over rice. And the recipe even calls for spinach.

Of course today I went foraging in my woods, came out with garlic mustard and fiddleheads. So they might also be added in.
foraging_2020-04_fiddleheads and garlic mustard.jpg

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I braved the scary grocery store this morning (it actually wasn't too bad, not a lot of people, and everyone social distancing) so my fridge and pantry aren't looking empty anymore.... maybe I'll make something from scratch.
I also braved the petri dishes again today.
Costco still had no tp, and no pt. They did have water, napkins and babywipes.

I'd originally gone because hubby wanted me to pick up steaks, which we haven't had in a long time. And, since I'd seen the reports on the meat plant troubles, I thought "okay then". Good thing. They were disappearing like hotcakes!

Also, they had no fresh chicken; no fryers, breasts, legs, or wings. So I go a big bag of frozen breasts, which is an odd purchase for me.

So, I get home and I vac pac the steaks. Why didn't we fix a couple up, you ask? Well, because I still had a jar of bone broth from a rotisserie chicken sitting in the 'fridge. So I ended up using one of the frozen chicken breasts and making soup from scratch. It turned out pretty good.
We'll do the steaks tomorrow.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd originally gone because hubby wanted me to pick up steaks, which we haven't had in a long time. And, since I'd seen the reports on the meat plant troubles, I thought "okay then". Good thing. They were disappearing like hotcakes!
I'm vegetarian, so didn't even glance at the meat section, so no idea if they were fully stocked or not. However, I did pick up an extra bag of dry beans, as well as lentils, just in case meat does become in short supply, and people start buying vegetarian protein products, and they become scarce..

Status
Not open for further replies.