What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a light dinner tonight. And, yes, those are Triscuits, which I know some of you "love". :lol:

View attachment 363548
I'm with you. I love Triscuits and have for many, many years. My favorite are the original but the rye ones and the roasted garlic ones are really good too. I've melted cheese on them but I've also put a bit of butter on them. Sometimes just as is though.

Last night I had a burger and some Stouffer's fettucine alfredo. Pizza tonight.

For what it's worth though, I also like shredded wheat. I used to get the kind that are big biscuits and crumble them into a bowl with milk and sugar. Yum. I haven't had it in ages.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you. I love Triscuits and have for many, many years. My favorite are the original but the rye ones and the roasted garlic ones are really good too. I've melted cheese on them but I've also put a bit of butter on them. Sometimes just as is though.

Last night I had a burger and some Stouffer's fettucine alfredo. Pizza tonight.

For what it's worth though, I also like shredded wheat. I used to get the kind that are big biscuits and crumble them into a bowl with milk and sugar. Yum. I haven't had it in ages.
I also love Triscuits. I never had the rye ones but I bet they would be delicious with melted butter and swiss cheese.

I don't care for shredded wheat but my father loved them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a fan of Shredded Wheat, though I haven't have it in forever, so maybe I'd actually like it now. I do eat Shreddies for breakfast every day, so almost the same.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night was pierogi, stuffed with potato, sour cream and chives... I boil them, then pan fry...It was good, but not the traditional type I am used to. I was very late in getting them. Had to deal with what was picked over at the grocery store.. I miss the Polish store... sigh..

Had a carmel apple later on....

I did splurge; by trying some Peppermint Vodka in Club Soda. It was really good..

Today:
Breakfast was 2 cups of coffee, a slice of Pannetone with butter..
Dinner will be a tiny ham with pineapple, breaded green beans and mashed potatoes. Some Italian Anisette snowball cookies for dessert... and some White Wine...

Since the ham is so small, it will take no time to reheat. I like the pineapple slices a bit browned. I think I am changing things up, this year. I am going to try sautéing them first, then placing on the ham.. While it is heating up, I am going to try a bit of my own pineapple glaze.. Using the juice from the can, I will add some mustard, a tiny bit of brown sugar, thickening in the pan. If it comes out thin, I will add a tiny bit of cornstarch. My own concoction... Cooking is just that.. learning the basics, and just improvising...

I have 2 small cans of pineapple, just in case my experiment does not come out...

Merry Christmas!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night we enjoyed
Christmas Eve Dinner_202012_entree.jpg
broiled bacon wrapped scallops and shrimp with mushroom risotto and broccoli
with a Colombard Ugni-blanc white wine.

Then for dessert it was, of course, fruitcake
Christmas Eve Dinner_202012_fruitcake.jpg
with some Grand Marnier.

I did clean the kitchen before toddling off to bed.​

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've now tried MOST of the Ritz flavors,
I have 2 boxes of Ritz crackers! I haven't tried them yet. I am so obsessed with crackers lately.

If I remember correctly cheese balls used to have more nuts on them.
I hope the almonds are slivered in my cheese ball I'm getting tomorrow. I can't eat whole almonds, they bust my teeth.

I've melted cheese on them but I've also put a bit of butter on them
That's a good idea.

Breakfast: Udi's original granola with those yummy banana chips in it, half a diced pink lady apple, 1/3 cup Aldi vanilla almond milk.

Lunch: Snack Plate- finished up the Andy Capp's hot fries- I don't think I like puffed snacks, tomato basil wheat thin crackers, 1 slice diced up Aldi muenster cheese, the other half of that pink lady apple. 2TB raw gingerbread almond butter, 1TB sour cream, 1TB mayo for dipping. I really like the sour cream on the crackers.

Dinner: My mom made an elbow pasta, Ragu pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, egg, ricotta cheese, shredded cheese casserole in the crockpot. It tasted and looked like vomit! I will have to try to fix up the leftovers, maybe bake it, the noodles were still hard! I'm not a big fan of slow cooker meals, baked tastes better. It tasted like it wasn't cooked long enough. I added a diced up veggie burger, habanero hot sauce, fire salt, but it didn't help it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the noodles were still hard! I'm not a big fan of slow cooker meals, baked tastes better. It tasted like it wasn't cooked long enough.
Pasta often turns to mush in a slow cooker, so I'm surprised it was still hard. Must not have been cooked long enough, or maybe there wasn't enough liquid.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pasta often turns to mush in a slow cooker, so I'm surprised it was still hard. Must not have been cooked long enough, or maybe there wasn't enough liquid.
I know, I was surprised too because pasta usually cooks so fast. She only cooked it for a few hours, on high. It was rather runny, so I think there was enough liquid. She added veggie broth to the sauce and didn't drain the tomatoes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and an ice cream sundae...in about 3 hours. Remember...I'm up ALL NIGHT!

Ooh, how do you make that? I like grits with sharp cheddar cheese and garlic, so that sounds like something I'd enjoy!
I'm attaching the file from the cookbook I'm putting together for my boys, "When Bobo (their grandmother) Used to Cook>" Never mind, it won't attach. Will copy and paste instead.

GRITS CASSEROLE​

OK…I’m giving this as written, cause it is a definite “BoBo Classic.” Be aware that she made some changes. Note the following:
You can no longer get the garlic cheese roll. Use Velveeta (8 oz, cubed) and add 1 tsp garlic powder
There are no more regular grits, use quick, NOT INSTANT…cook for 20 minutes, like regular grits.
Up the number of eggs. The more, the firmer the casserole. 4 or 5 is best.
Feel free to add savories…ham, bacon, onions, peppers, etc!
Back to the Classic!

1 C regular grits 6oz garlic cheese
4 C water 2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste ¾ C milk
1 stick oleo (butter)

Preheat oven to 350°

Cook grits to package directions…add salt NOW, or you’ll never get them salted right! When almost done, add the butter and cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together and temper with grits, then add. Pour into greased casserole dish and bake x 45 minutes, or until casserole begins to set. Allow to sit 15 mintues before serving.

BTW...if you want to add ham, be sure to pat it as dry as possible.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I was surprised too because pasta usually cooks so fast. She only cooked it for a few hours, on high. It was rather runny, so I think there was enough liquid. She added veggie broth to the sauce and didn't drain the tomatoes.
Strange. :dunno:

Lasagna, salad, garlic bread, and an ice cream sundae
That all sounds delicious. :yummy: What kind of sundae?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm having my holiday dinner tonight: Shake and Bake chicken and some potato puffs (aka tater tots). I haven't decided whether to use the original Shake and Bake mix or the extra crispy one yet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're ordering out Japanese food for dinner tonight.
I love Japanese food. We have a Japanese Hibachi restaurant on the Indian (Native American?) reservation nearby.

fried an egg
What does fried egg look like? Got a pic? Is it like over-easy?

Breakfast: 2 slices Great Value NY rye bread toasted, each had 1TB butter, one had 1Tsp ginger sugar, the other had 1Tsp maple sugar, half a diced pink lady apple.

Lunch: Snack plate/charcuterie board- hee hee. :lol: Tomato Basil Wheat Thin Crackers, the other half of that diced pink lady apple, 1 slice diced provolone cheese, 3 green olives, yummy pumpkin bread, small slice of vegan/gluten free cheesecake, 1 gluten free peanut butter cookie, butter and raw gingerbread almond butter for spreading. I also made a vanilla cappuccino and dunked the pumpkin bread in it. Yum.

Dinner: Leftover Mexican bean veggie soup, shredded mozzarella cheese, one diced veggie burger, habanero hot sauce, fire salt, half a diced avocado. The avocado stirred in was yummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.