What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does fried egg look like? Got a pic? Is it like over-easy?
Didn't take a pic tonight. I'll try to remember next time. Not sure what over-easy is like, but I just crack the egg into the frying pan, break the yolk, and let one side cook, then try to flip it and cook the other side without it getting all broken and messy. Not usually successful. :lol:

I have in the past cracked the egg into a measuring cup and whisked it, then added some milk or water as if I was preparing it for scrambling. Then I just cook it in the frying pan, trying to shape it into a circle or square depending what bread I'm going to use. It turns out fluffier and thicker than just frying it. Here's a couple pics from doing it that way:

1609030407615.png
1609030431229.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're ordering out Japanese food for dinner tonight. Since the pandemic we have not ordered take out very much so this will be a treat.
What did you get? I've never had Japanese food.

My nephew gave me a gift certificate for a Chinese restaurant near here. I can't wait to use it. I haven't had Chinese in over a year.

I had a really big lunch eating the left over Christmas dinner my sister brought me so I only had a red delicious apple for dinner. I am not suppose to eat large amounts of food.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What did you get? I've never had Japanese food.
I think you would love the flavors in Japanese food. I had an avocado roll for an appetizer. The main entree was a tofu stone bowl with black rice, sautéed kale, bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, radish, carrots and tofu. I really like this restaurant and their food is excellent.

That was so thoughtful of your nephew to give you a gift card to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas. 🤗

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you would love the flavors in Japanese food. I had an avocado roll for an appetizer. The main entree was a tofu stone bowl with black rice, sautéed kale, bean sprouts, shiitake mushrooms, radish, carrots and tofu. I really like this restaurant and their food is excellent.

That was so thoughtful of your nephew to give you a gift card to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas. 🤗
The food you had sounds delicious, especially the avocado roll. When I thought of Japenese food I thought of meat dishes and sushi. I didn't know they had so many vegetable, rice, tofu and noodle dishes. You seem to live near a lot of vegetarian friendly restaurants.

Yes, it was thoughtful for my nephew to give me a gift card for Chinese food. When him and his brother was young I used to take them out for Chinese.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The last of the leftovers. I make try some potato cakes with the last of the potato filling....that might be interesting. I don't make potato cakes very often. Still have some dried corn left and a bit of the sweet potatoes with the dried fruit. That's the last of it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The food you had sounds delicious, especially the avocado roll. When I thought of Japenese food I thought of meat dishes and sushi. I didn't know they had so many vegetable, rice, tofu and noodle dishes. You seem to live near a lot of vegetarian friendly restaurants.
I think larger metropolitan areas tend to be more veggie friendly and, of course, I tend to search them out. I also make sure to patronize those restaurants that have a variety of veggie options.

Not sure about dinner tonight, probably something quick and easy. But I still have some of the cinnamon chocolate fudge brownies I made on Christmas Eve. 😋

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It turns out fluffier and thicker than just frying it. Here's a couple pics from doing it that way:
I usually call that style an omelet.

Breakfast: Finished up the dregs of 3 different granolas with 1/3 cup Aldi almond nog on it. That was a little too sweet.

Lunch: Played around with my Aldi butter croissants, tried them all different ways- toasted in toaster oven, microwaved, with butter, a sandwich with mayo. The best way was toasted with butter. I need to find bigger ones, these where a little too small to make a decent sandwich.

Dinner: Probably will finish up that veggie bean mexican soup with avocado, habanero sauce, fire salt, crackers.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wasn't sure what I was going to have tonight, and thought it might end up being just toast. Then checked the freezer and found veggie burgers. So since I already had hamburg buns, I was able to throw together a veggie burger rather quickly.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know if I'm on a prepping kick, if because it's winter so this is how I am cooking, or what. But long slow-cooked dishes feel very appealing. And there's all the different pound weight packages of beans I bought when the pandemic had us prepping away like industrious squirrels burying nuts. That's it! I must be nuts!

Yesterday I cooked up a large pot of cargamento beans with a piece of pork shoulder. Today I portioned out the beans into four containers - two for the freezer and two to consume in present times.

Tonight it will be beans and pieces of the pork with carrots, celery, and little onions, topped with dumplings. Don't have a recipe but it feels O.K.

And in a day or two it will be beans and pork and some duck, maybe sausage, topped with breadcrumbs. Call it quasi-cassoulet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
topped with dumplings.
Do you have a pic of the dumplings? I had dumplings at Cracker Barrel once and they looked almost like ravioli.

Breakfast: Opened up a new bag of granola, Udi vanilla granola, with 1/3 cup whole cow milk, half of the last pink lady apple. Yum.

Lunch: Snack/Charcuterie plate!- The other half of that last pink lady apple, tomato basil wheat thin crackers, Utz plain original chips, slice of my sharp cheese ball, 2TB Target habanero salsa, 1TB raw gingerbread almond butter.

Dinner: Had leftovers of that pasta casserole, mom turned the crockpot back on for a couple more hours to cook the hard pasta and she turned it into mush. :bawling: I shouldn't have said anything. I could probably have fixed it better myself. Added habanero hot sauce, fire salt, 1 diced hard boiled egg, Utz plain chips on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.