What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I don't think anyone here minds you posting about the facility and their lack of care or compassion. You need an outlet to vent so if you would like to post in this thread it's fine with us. :grouphug2:
Thank you. I don't have anyone else to talk to and it just builds up in me.
Your pizza looks delicious.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Gardein Crispy Tenders are good on a bun, so probably would work on a bagel too.
Great idea! I do have some Aldi tenders in the freezer.

We made a veggie pizza last night. I really wanted to add sliced mushrooms
That looks so yummy! Next time put mushrooms on half! That's what I do when we order carryout pizza.

Thank you. I don't have anyone else to talk to and it just builds up in me.
I don't mind. And I always get vegetarian food ideas from you, so keep sharing.

Breakfast: Opened up new bag of granola and it was yummy! Udi's Original granola, it had dried banana chips in it! Had half of a diced Pink Lady apple in it, which was also fabulous, and 1/3 cup 2% cow milk.

Lunch: Snack plate! Flamin' Hot Cheetos, the other half of that diced Pink Lady Apple, Tomato & Basil Wheat Thin Crackers, 1 slice Sargento unsmoked sharp provolone cheese, 2TB Maranatha dark roast almond butter, 1TB Aldi apricot preserves.

Dinner: Leftover mexican veggie bean soup with shredded cheese on top, habanero hot sauce, spicy fire salt, handful of Flamin' Hot Cheetos, diced up Aldi vegan veggie burger.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight's dinner was a three day effort. But since it was a little now, a little then, finally putting it all together - it wasn't a big deal.

To start - I bought two packages of nice meaty chunked up pork neck bones. Scattered with salt, fresh ground black pepper, some garlic and refrigerated for about 24 hours. Took a one pound package of dry navy beans, picked over, rinsed, covered with ample water and left on counter.

Day two - patted meaty bones dry, spread out on a broiler tray until well browned, turning to do other side. Sauteed two sliced onions in Le Creuset pot. Arranged nicely browned meaty pork neck bones on top of onions. Drained beans, poured over the n.b.m.p.n.b. Went to cupboard for a can of crushed tomatoes. Eek! Not there. O.K. A can of tomato paste, a smallish can of V-8 vegetable juice, water, fresh thyme, a couple of bay leaves. Simmer for a while until meaty bits are done. Fish them out, let cool. Pull meat off bones and refrigerate. Leave beans in pot and place in cool garage.

Day three - Pack most of beans and semi-set tomato cooking liquid in containers, to be frozen. Start heating enough for dinner. Cut up some of the meat and add it to the dinner pot. Strip cavolo nero off stems, slice across, add to pot. Boil water and add cresti di gallo pasta, cook, drain. Pasta in soup bowls, ladle on the bean / meat / kale / tomato glop.

And we had a very good dinner. With four more portions of bean / tomato headed for the freezer.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any way I am not going to post anymore about this place. I am sure you people don't want to here me complain any more about it.
You vent all you need to. The only thing that bothers us is that you are being treated this way...If they cannot feed you properly, then they should not be charging you for meals that you cannot eat. And yes, contact the media. Or, here's a bit of information.

"The Office of Health Care Quality, under the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, regulates and licenses all hospitals and health-related institutions in Maryland, including nursing homes."

Office of Health Care Quality 7120 Samuel Morse Drive • Second Floor • Columbia, MD 21046-3422 Phone 410-402-8015 • Fax 410-402-8056 •complaints.complaints@maryland.gov

Someone will have to print off that form for you...family member? Or PM me, and I'll print it off and mail it to you!

Yeah. I got pissed off about this. I can actually find stuff if I get pissed off.

In other news, I'm having a hot pastrami and Swiss sandwich tonight.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You vent all you need to. The only thing that bothers us is that you are being treated this way...If they cannot feed you properly, then they should not be charging you for meals that you cannot eat. And yes, contact the media. Or, here's a bit of information.

"The Office of Health Care Quality, under the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, regulates and licenses all hospitals and health-related institutions in Maryland, including nursing homes."

Office of Health Care Quality 7120 Samuel Morse Drive • Second Floor • Columbia, MD 21046-3422 Phone 410-402-8015 • Fax 410-402-8056 •complaints.complaints@maryland.gov

Someone will have to print off that form for you...family member? Or PM me, and I'll print it off and mail it to you!

Yeah. I got pissed off about this. I can actually find stuff if I get pissed off.

In other news, I'm having a hot pastrami and Swiss sandwich tonight.
I just tried to send you
a PM but I could not get it to go through. I tried typing in your name but It would not take it.
I appreciate all of your help but I could not open the links you gave me. Also I now live in Va and not Md. Could you maybe try to find some info for Va if you have the time?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just tried to send you
a PM but I could not get it to go through. I tried typing in your name but It would not take it.
I appreciate all of your help but I could not open the links you gave me. Also I now live in Va and not Md. Could you maybe try to find some info for Va if you have the time?
I always follow this thread but rarely post in it. I do not understand why this facility isn't doing the right thing. I could maybe see it if you were vegan, that takes a bit in the way of special foods and preparation. A vegetarian diet is not difficult to accommodate.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I just tried to send you
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made chicken wings last night. Cooked the chicken in the Instant Pot and then tossed them in wing sauce and put them under the broiler for browning. Used Frank's Red Hot stinging honey garlic wing sauce. Yummy! But wings take a lot of time/work, I think I'll order from a restaurant the next time I want wings, lol.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I roasted a turkey thigh Sunday night. The girls and I ate about half of it. I had garlic butter noodles with it; Yesterday I warmed up the rest of it. Lilith was like a little snapping turtle taking her pieces of the meat. Princess Sophiesaurus turned her nose up at it. I guess she doesn't like leftovers. Lilith gladly ate her share. Divas. :rolleyes2:

Today I defrosted a couple of chicken thighs to roast. We'll share them and I'll have a veggie on the side.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had mushrooms and onion in the fridge that needed to be used up, so I chopped them up, and sautéed them in some olive oil. Added some edamame for a bit of protein and colour. Then added basmati rice and soy sauce, and that was my main course. Had a gala apple for dessert.

IMG_2194.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then added basmati rice and soy sauce
How long do you cook the soy sauce on it? Looks great.

Breakfast: 2 slices Great Value NY rye bread toasted, 2TB butter, 1/2TB molasses sugar, half of a diced Pink Lady Apple on top.

Lunch: Snack plate! Flamin Hot Cheetos, Tomato Basil Wheat Thin crackers, the other half of that diced Pink Lady Apple, 1TB Maranatha dark roast almond butter, 2TB Target habanero salsa, 1 slice colby jack cheese diced up.

Dinner: Huge dinner plate salad- lettuce, cucumber, onion, yellow bell pepper, 1 hard boiled egg, half of an avocado, half of a tropical fruit cup with papaya/pineapple, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, sundried tomatoes in oil, green olives, cashews, dried cranberries, finished up the flamin hot cheetos, 3TB sundried Italian dressing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long do you cook the soy sauce on it? Looks great.
Not long. Maybe a minute. I add it at the end, once everything is cooked, and just leave it on the burner long enough to heat it through.

Speaking soy sauce, did y'all know it's supposed to be refrigerated after opening? I didn't, and have always just kept it in the cupboard. Guess it hasn't killed me yet, but I did just open a new bottle, which I am now keeping in the fridge.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always follow this thread but rarely post in it. I do not understand why this facility isn't doing the right thing. I could maybe see it if you were vegan, that takes a bit in the way of special foods and preparation. A vegetarian diet is not difficult to accommodate.
No, a vegetarian diet is not difficult. When I was in rehab there was a vegan.They did not have a problem feeding him. I was the one getting bacon, chicken fish, etc.

Tonight I had broccoli, rice and a side salad. I put the salad in the fridge for later and added some pinto beans to the rice. Now that was a good vegetarian meal. I just wish they would keep it up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not long. Maybe a minute.
On medium or medium-high heat?

Speaking soy sauce, did y'all know it's supposed to be refrigerated after opening? I didn't, and have always just kept it in the cupboard.
Yes, we keep it in the fridge now. But when I was a kid, we kept it in the cupboard!

farfalle pasta
Butterfly pasta! I always thought they were bow-ties, but they are butterflies. :purplebutterfly::butterfly:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you maybe try to find some info for Va if you have the time?
I do, would, could, did, and sent you a PM. Check your inbox. I can also, if you let me know where in VA you are (via PM), send you information for Virginia's Legal Aid office nearest you, and would be happy to do so. This borders on illegal, as they are charging you for food that you cannot eat.

Tonight...don't laugh, but it's cold, I'm tired, and chicken and rice soup with crackers sound WONDERFUL to me. Yep, plain old canned Campbell's soup, like Mama gave me on nights like this. With the electric fireplace turned on, just for effect!

Status
Not open for further replies.