What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy Since you have been a vegetarian for 60 years I am sure you are knowledgeable about what to eat and how to manage your dietary needs with a meat free diet.

Are cheese and eggs acceptable? Excellent protein sources with many options for delicious dishes.

Beans and corn are complementary amino acids. Eaten together they provide excellent protein. Black beans and corn, out of a couple of cans, mixed together. Options for several meals. Eaten cold as a salad embellished with sliced sweet red pepper, some red onion. Eaten hot with an egg (if allowable.) Corn tortilla with refried beans, maybe some shredded cheese, sliced lettuce.

Agreed it is outrageous that you are paying for meals and are served what you cannot eat. But right now the important thing is to build yourself up for the potential surgery.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis stopped by a Cajun restaurant while she was out and about and brought me home some food. I had Hush Puppies with Remoulade sauce and A Skirt steak Po Boy with sweet potato chips on the side. OMG!!! Totally delish! I cut way back on meat consumption, so this is like my meat allowance for the rest of the week.

Can't wait till February, me and my sister sort of celebrate Fat Tuesday. She is going to make her Jimbalya and she will be baking a King Cake this year. Looking forward to it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH had a turkey burger on an asiago bagel
Cool idea! I'll try my veggie burgers on a bagel. I've had them diced up in a stir-fry and throw it on a bagel, but never whole. I just never thought of it I guess.

Fat Tuesday
What is that?

Breakfast: Finished up the Bakery on Main maple granola, cow milk, handful of unsalted walnuts, finished up the diced fruit medley from nuts.com

Lunch: Walmart egg salad, added Aldi diced garden vegetable cheese, Doritos flamin hot limon chips, habanero hot sauce

Dinner: This was not very nutritious, but I just had to finish up those Doritos flamin hot limon chips, I'm so sick of them and the lime is too tangy. So I had a huge plate of those with the rest of the Aldi cauliflower pepper jack dip. I think I would prefer a smooth dip, not to be gross, but this dip is the texture of vomit. :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy Since you have been a vegetarian for 60 years I am sure you are knowledgeable about what to eat and how to manage your dietary needs with a meat free diet.

Are cheese and eggs acceptable? Excellent protein sources with many options for delicious dishes.

Beans and corn are complementary amino acids. Eaten together they provide excellent protein. Black beans and corn, out of a couple of cans, mixed together. Options for several meals. Eaten cold as a salad embellished with sliced sweet red pepper, some red onion. Eaten hot with an egg (if allowable.) Corn tortilla with refried beans, maybe some shredded cheese, sliced lettuce.

Agreed it is outrageous that you are paying for meals and are served what you cannot eat. But right now the important thing is to build yourself up for the potential surgery.
I dearly love cheese but don't eat eggs. I add beans, swiss cheese and sunflower seeds to the salads I get here. I eat beans, corn and lentils as often as I can but I have IBS-D and have to be careful with eating them.Right now I am on pain medication and that helps to control the IBS. I also have protien shakes and protein bars but they are pretty nasty. I am going to ask my brother to get me some tofu. I can cook that in the micowave and add it to my vegetables. They won't serve me vegetarian "meat", tofu or peanut butter or nuts because they are not in their budget.
Thanks for your reply.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
appreciate your concern. I will ask my brother to look for the Panera soup at Wegmans when he goes. They ought to have them.
Nicole gets their Acorn squash soup and loves it. I love all their soups I've had at their restaurant especially
the cream of tomato. I hope he can find them, if not I will send you some.💖 :hugs:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure about tonight yet, but last night I had another of my mushroom pizzas, with some salad on the side. The last 2 pizzas are in the freezer now, and will be a quick meal sometime when I'm not in the mood to cook.

I'll try my veggie burgers on a bagel.
The Gardein Crispy Tenders are good on a bun, so probably would work on a bagel too.

They won't serve me vegetarian "meat", tofu or peanut butter or nuts because they are not in their budget.
I can understand, I guess, tofu and nuts. But peanut butter. Guess they just won't buy a jar, just for you. :( At least it's something your brother can get for you, and that you can just keep in your room, along with crackers.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand, I guess, tofu and nuts. But peanut butter. Guess they just won't buy a jar, just for you. :( At least it's something your brother can get for you, and that you can just keep in your room, along with crackers.
I don't understand why they will not get tofu for me. It has a lot of protein and it is cheap. I can get a PBJ From them but I don't want all of those calories. My brother gets me Wegmans organic peanut butter. It is so good but it is $9.00 a jar.

Nicole gets their Acorn squash soup and loves it. I love all their soups I've had at their restaurant especially
the cream of tomato. I hope he can find them, if not I will send you some.💖 :hugs:naner
I used to get Panera tomato and squash soup at BJ's. I'm sure my brother can get the soup there or at Costco. It is not necessary for you to send me some. That was very sweet of you to offer. I used to go to their restaurant to eat but I would see them lick their fingers and touch their hair and handle my food. I am a germaphoic and stopped going. there. I loved their tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OMGosh, I threw a whole package of bacon in the air-crisp pan of the XL-NFG. And about 20 minutes later? We had bacon! A whole package of bacon! Nice and crisp bacon! Amazing! I will NEVER do bacon on the stove or in the oven again. Even Rick was amazed at that one. He said that it was probably because we hadn't had bacon and eggs in forever, but they were really good last night. And we have plenty leftover for sandwiches. Everybody in my Ninja group said, "Oh, just throw the whole package in....it'll work!" And it did!

I'm not sure about tonight. I'm leaning toward chicken thighs.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy I was at the grocery store, this morning. They do carry Panera soups. The store brand of packaged soup, kept in the refrigerated case, seems to be very close to the Panera soups.

Seriously, I honestly cannot understand how they can say that providing you with an adequate vegetarian menu is too expensive.... You are paying for the food.... They are required, to provide nutritious meals which you are able to eat... Check the state standards.. Call the health department.
This is crazy.... they are just saying anything to shut you up.. to keep you from bringing them to the state's attention.. Or call one of the news stations... They all have consumer reporters. They can look into this.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go to their restaurant to eat but I would see them lick their fingers and touch their hair and handle my food. I am a germaphoic and stopped going. there. I loved their tomato soup and grilled cheese.
Oh that is sooo disgusting!!! I've never had anything there I didn't like.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy I was at the grocery store, this morning. They do carry Panera soups. The store brand of packaged soup, kept in the refrigerated case, seems to be very close to the Panera soups.

Seriously, I honestly cannot understand how they can say that providing you with an adequate vegetarian menu is too expensive.... You are paying for the food.... They are required, to provide nutritious meals which you are able to eat... Check the state standards.. Call the health department.
This is crazy.... they are just saying anything to shut you up.. to keep you from bringing them to the state's attention.. Or call one of the news stations... They all have consumer reporters. They can look into this.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Calling the news stations is a good idea. I wish I knew how to take pictures with this IPad to send to them. Today for lunch they gave me 6 tater tots, about a 1/8 cup of mixed vegetables and a crappy salad with some kind of cheap lettuce and 5 tiny pieces of tomatoes. There was nothing nutritious about that lunch.

Since I went to the doctor on Friday I have to be in quarantine for 14 days. We can eat lunch in the dinning room now but I could not go down and no one bothered to bring me lunch on Saturday and Sunday. I get the impression that I don't matter here. One day last week for lunch I ordered potato salad, cottage cheese and a vegetable. All I got was a little dab of potato salad loaded with eggs, potato chips, a tiny pickle and a thin slice of tomato. All I ate was the pickle and the slice of tomato. It took all of 2 minutes and I got up and left. No one bothered to ask me why I didn't eat the lunch. If it was anybody else not eating they would bring them something else.
Any way I am not going to post anymore about this place. I am sure you people don't want to here me complain any more about it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But you need the calories now! If you don't want the sugar from the jelly they should be able to leave it off. Less work and money, not more, they should be able to do that, right?
No I don't need calories. I have already gained back the weight I lost while I was in the hospital and that is not good for my knees. I have been gaining weight because I sit all day and have been eating a lot of cheese and crackers, peanut butter and nuts trying to get some protein.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi As mentioned above it is the English term for Mardi Gras. It is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday (the start of Lent in the Catholic Church). It is a day of feasting and merriment. In my house we adopted the tradition of cooking Gumbo and Jambalaya and other Cajun dishes on that day and we have either Beignets, Gateau de Sirup (Syrup cake) or the traditional King cake for dessert. Look forward to it every year.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any way I am not going to post anymore about this place. I am sure you people don't want to here me complain any more about it.
Honestly, I don't think anyone here minds you posting about the facility and their lack of care or compassion. You need an outlet to vent so if you would like to post in this thread it's fine with us. :grouphug2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, I don't think anyone here minds you posting about the facility and their lack of care or compassion. You need an outlet to vent so if you would like to post in this thread it's fine with us. :grouphug2:
I agree 100%. If you need to vent, we're here to listen. And it's about food, so on topic.

I think either soup or salad tonight, maybe both. :wink: We made a veggie pizza last night. I really wanted to add sliced mushrooms but DH nixed that idea.
View attachment 363080
Oh, yum. That looks delicious. :yummy: And I agree mushrooms would have been a good addition.;)

Tonight I had scrambled egg and toast, aka Breakfast for Dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.