What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight I heated up some left over Oodles of Noodles and added a can of Bush's Chili beans with some sour cream. Not healthy but tasty. I have no business eating beans in my condition but I needed something different. I have plenty of Imodium and I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow in case my IBS kicks in.

I have some ice cream for later.
Hope the IBS calms down soon. and doc can find something. Isn't there a lot of iron in spinach?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Next week's kit menu:

Salads:

Shredded carrot, summer squash, cabbage, and beets mounded on a bed of organic (Gluten Free) buckwheat and high-protein black-eyed peas. Our white balsamic vinaigrette provides a lively splash of flavor. Vegan and Gluten Free. Also available in Pro and Paleo versions with high-quality chicken.

Banh Mi - inspired by the popular Vietnamese sandwich, is bursting with flavor from quick-pickled cucumbers and carrots, as well as cabbage, radish, jalapeno, mint, and cilantro. The salad, which also contains edamame, whole grain rice, and organic baby greens, comes with a zesty Sriracha lime vinaigrette that makes the whole thing pop. Vegan and Gluten Free. Also available in Pro and Paleo versions with high-quality chicken.

Entree:

Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya Dinner - Flavorful and colorful jambalaya with high-quality chicken and North Country Smokehouse andouille sausage is a cheerful Dinner to GO. Tender veg, whole grain rice, just enough kick. Vegetarian version substitutes high-quality, organic veg and legumes for meat. Gluten, Dairy and Soy Free.

Soup:

Butternut Bisque - Take a farm-made vegetable stock, hearty and slightly sweet butternut squash and add a splash of high-quality cream. Simple and delicious. Gluten and Soy free.

Grain bowl:

This grain bowl features roasted soy-glazed sweet potato, crumbled tofu, scallion, spinach and whole-grain buckwheat (Yes, it is Gluten Free). Topped with a soy ginger miso and sesame seeds. Gluten & Dairy Free. Available with or without high-quality chicken.

Not sure about this meal kit yet :think: I might not be able to fit into my budget. Both cats are going to the vet this weekend (hopefully mouse won't need to tag along as an expensive emergency) and I spent a bit at the dentist (despite insurance) so the budget is a little tight.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope the IBS calms down soon. and doc can find something. Isn't there a lot of iron in spinach?
Thanks, Mia6.
Yes, there is iron in spinach, kale and lentils but lentils give me bad indigestion and spinach and kale give me diarrhea.
I went to the hematologist today and he took 6 vials if blood for testing. I go again in the next two weeks for an IV with iron. Then I have to go to my MD and Gastroenterologist and a heart doctor for other test. All of this just so I can get my knees operated on if I pass all the test.

Today we stopped at Burger King and I got the new veggie burger without the cheese. I also got fries and a vanilla shake with that. I lost 6 pounds so I don't feel so bad about the shake and fries.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A friend who is also vegetarian made a big batch of vegetable soup and graciously gave me a heaping portion. So that will be my dinner tonight along with a salad and bakery roll. You know there will be a honeycrisp apple for dessert. ;)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The chicken soup from the kit:

20200123_161810.jpg

It was good if oddly a little on the spicy side :headscratch: The ingredients don't list anything spicy. I like how the soup is more "stuff" than broth. Lots of times you get 95% broth and 5% stuff.

The Korean grain bowl was pretty good. It was just spicy enough for a little kick. I got tomorrow's lunch and dinner out of that one bowl.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend who is also vegetarian made a big batch of vegetable soup and graciously gave me a heaping portion.
I wish I had a vegetarian friend that lived nearby. That would be so much fun.

I like how the soup is more "stuff" than broth
Me too. The more stuff and textures the better.

lima beans
Do you put anything on them? I love butter beans which are kinda similar.

For dinner I had an Amy's burrito with hot taco sauce. I microwaved it because it was getting late, but I prefer them in the oven.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a vegetarian friend that lived nearby. That would be so much fun.

Me too. The more stuff and textures the better.

Do you put anything on them? I love butter beans which are kinda similar.

For dinner I had an Amy's burrito with hot taco sauce. I microwaved it because it was getting late, but I prefer them in the oven.
I buy the frozen baby limas,and after they're cooked,just butter,salt and pepper.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to an Installation Banquet for the new tenants association members in my apartment building.

Had: salad, poached salmon, mashed potato with leeks, some kind of herb pesto. For dessert had molten chocolate lava cake and ice cream.

The best was the salad and the desserts. It was a good time.

Tonight, not sure. Something fast and easy.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I decided to cancel the meal kit for next week. It looks like the meals rotate every couple of weeks so I'll keep an eye out for when these particular meals are offered again.

I gave feedback on the meal kit I got this week. The only odd thing I found was a single large oddly cut shaped piece of carrot in both salads :headscratch: The person replied back and said the carrot was "lacto-fermented" and meant to be eaten after the salad for digestive purposes. Ok then :dunno: When I eat salad, I just pick and choose. I didn't realize there was some order to what gets eaten first. It all ends up in the stomach anyways.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night we had broiled chicken thighs, using my go-to of equal parts soy sauce, grainy mustard, brown sugar, and sherry. Accompanied by mashed potatoes, and baby green peas with celery. Himself had a chocolate chip cookie for dessert and I had too much Hagen Daz salted caramel almond ice cream. Which is very good!

I cooked 4 chicken thighs, so there are two for probably tomorrow - cube, make a mushroom sauce, serve over pasta or rice. Another meal will have a beaten egg and a little flour added to the left over mashed potatoes which will then be fried up in patties. Either a side dish or serve with an egg over easy for lunch.

I have a Michael Field cookbook about deliberately cooking for leftovers - pot roast becomes hash, etc. Do any of you deliberately cook for leftovers too?

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Pain.

:flail:

I am not fond of toothaches. It's more fun to make cat food and dog food right now. I give up.

This too shall pass.

Last night we had sausage, apple and sage pie with green beans. We have leftovers of both for tonight.
Mmmmm....sausage, apple and sage pie.....I never thought about combining those flavours. It sounds good. Do you have a recipe I can veg*nize?

Status
Not open for further replies.