What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a gift card to Longhorn and talked about using that for dinner some night. Maybe we'll do that tonight. I can call down to order, do the gift card thing, and then Rick can go down to pick it all up. We've never done curb-side, so I'll have to call down and see how it works. We have gift cards that really should be used up.

Failing that, well, I'm kind of hungry for pancakes, of all things. Or omelets with onions, peppers, and a bit of cheese. With toast. Breakfast for dinner.
I love breakfast for dinner!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing embarrassing about that. I think toast is exciting with just butter on it. It is one of my favorite foods along with a buttered English muffin.
I agree. Sometimes I will put some lemon curd or honey on it too. I love toast. I've been known to toast some ciabatta bread and eat it plain. Rye toast with butter is one of my all time faves.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nothing embarrassing about that. I think toast is exciting with just butter on it. It is one of my favorite foods along with a buttered English muffin.
I love toast too, and it's often my quick go to meal when I'm starving. But nutrition-wise, it's not really a healthy meal. :ohwell:

Not sure what I'm going to have tonight, but I'm leaning towards a veggie burger and a side salad.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So Dear Richard decided he wanted mac and cheese with tomatoes again tonight. I swear we just had it last week! But he was all gung-ho about it and so that's what I made. I did it in the XL NFG. A lower temp and less time than in the oven. And it wasn't bad at all! A bit of creamed lettuce as a side dish to cut the richness of the mac and cheese. And life was good, at least according to Rick.

MacCheeseTom.jpg
MacCheeseTomServe.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cheez Whiz on one slice and cinnamon sugar on the other.
Cinnamon Sugar is exciting! Did you make it yourself or buy a shaker of it? I can't comment on the Cheez Whiz on toast cause I never had it on anything other than crackers as a kid. I always have a little fruit with my toast, to make it healthy.

mac and cheese with tomatoes again tonight. I swear we just had it last week!
If I lived with you, I would definitely be requesting that once a week! :thumbsup:

Breakfast: Simple Truth Oats & Honey Granola with Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk and diced cantaloupe.

Lunch: Knorr pasta sides packet, the Alfredo one. I added 1/3 cup kidney beans for protein. I still couldn't get it to thicken up. Should I put a cover on it?

Dinner: Taco salad on Aldi sweet potato tortilla chips. I forgot to put cheese on it! :bawling:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We each had a big mug of my soup that I made yesterday and a peanut butter and jelly (elder razz)sandwich on toast.He cracks me up!He saw me throw this soup together,yes it smacks a bit of "oriental",and all the bottles of this and that. When I offered him some last night,he was all "oh no...no...maybe tomorrow".Ha!I know what that means!He tasted it tonight and was all...oh jeez,this is really good soup...he was surprised.Men!I waited til he was done with his before I told him there was garlic chili paste in it...:)

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The admin guys who work in the office trailers in the yard were given a barbeque grill and a smoker. Such a delight for us tower climbers to get back in from the field to bbq chicken, smoked wings, brisket, and fixings. Mmmmm about time! On all the projects I've worked on the admin guys have grilled out for us laborers, but after 3 month out here, this was my first dinner in the yard. (Probably a social distance thing)
My paperwork is covered in Bbq grease lol and
The recent cold snap got me losing some weight so I was overdue for a feast!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't post about dinner last night because our oven is on the fritz. :frown: A repair service person is supposed to come out tomorrow afternoon so fingers crossed it won't be too expensive and can be fixed. :crossfingers:
The oven saga continues - repair person told us the part we need for our oven was discontinued 5 years ago. Nooooo! Long story short we have to get a new oven and it's going to break the bank. Plus since so many people are home and cooking more due to the pandemic there is a greater demand than supply. I used the microwave and made a bowl with brown rice, stewed tomatoes, broccoli, black beans and avocado for dinner tonight but will have to be creative with our future dinners.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oven saga continues - repair person told us the part we need for our oven was discontinued 5 years ago. Nooooo! Long story short we have to get a new oven and it's going to break the bank. Plus since so many people are home and cooking more due to the pandemic there is a greater demand than supply. I used the microwave and made a bowl with brown rice, stewed tomatoes, broccoli, black beans and avocado for dinner tonight but will have to be creative with our future dinners.
wood stove? i have always wanted to try using one :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch: Knorr pasta sides packet, the Alfredo one. I added 1/3 cup kidney beans for protein. I still couldn't get it to thicken up. Should I put a cover on it?
A stupid question, but are you following the directions? If you are, then are you draining and rinsing the beans before you add them in? I always rinse beans. Any extra juice/sauce can cause things to be watery.

A simple rule of thumb is: if you want something to thicken, put it on a low simmer, with the lid ajar a bit.. meaning not on tightly. This allows the steam to escape, allowing it to thicken. Also, are you using a fry pan to cook it in? I do not make any Knorr sides, so I am not certain if it calls for a pot or fry pan. Try the low simmer with the lid partially off...

Just my thoughts.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cinnamon Sugar is exciting! Did you make it yourself or buy a shaker of it?
It was store bought this time, but I have made it myself before.

I still couldn't get it to thicken up. Should I put a cover on it?
artiemom artiemom , I think, answered your question. I also find leaving the cover ajar to let steam escape lessens the liquid quickly. In fact, I'll do the opposite and put the cover on so it doesn't dry up too quickly.

You can also add cornstarch to thicken a sauce. Here's a video that explains how.

Plus since so many people are home and cooking more due to the pandemic there is a greater demand than supply.
Hopefully you'll get one soon, and hopefully it won't totally break the bank.

I used the microwave and made a bowl with brown rice, stewed tomatoes, broccoli, black beans and avocado for dinner tonight but will have to be creative with our future dinners.
Do you have a slow cooker? You can make a lot of things in them, that you normally use an oven for. Two I've made are my slow cooker bread, and a lasagna. So that might be an option while you wait for your new oven. Or maybe an instant pot, which I think are even more versatile.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully you'll get one soon, and hopefully it won't totally break the bank.
Do you have a slow cooker? You can make a lot of things in them, that you normally use an oven for. Two I've made are my slow cooker bread, and a lasagna. Or maybe an instant pot, which I think are even more versatile.
Unfortunately the price of a new oven was more than we expected and since we have some other unexpected bills it only makes matters worse. But I have to look on the positive side and be thankful that Carleton and my family are well. 😊

Yes, I have a crock pot - I'd love your lasagna recipe if you don't mind sharing.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely Check out the Foodi Grill. There are different ones out, one that even includes a function that acts like a pressure cooker. Many, many things that you normally would do in an oven can be done in the NFG. I even do casseroles in the FG. And it would be cheaper (for now) than a new oven. And you have your microwave and crock pot instead of cooking on the stove.

Refrigerators are also on backorder and there can be a long delay. We are finding that out.

Tonight will be the leftover mac and cheese.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a charcoal grill and a convection microwave. It works for me. I'm sorry about your oven. If you cook for a few people I know it is a necessary appliance. I think I just get by without it because I only cook for myself lol

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a charcoal grill and a convection microwave. It works for me. I'm sorry about your oven. If you cook for a few people I know it is a necessary appliance. I think I just get by without it because I only cook for myself lol
When I burned our kitchen down in 2000, we didn't have a microwave, oven or stove for weeks. We ate out every night. I enjoy a day or two off of cooking but we are severely limited on restaurants where I am so eating out got old fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.