What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So pray tell - what do you usually cook in the oven, and for how many people?

A very nice toaster oven is bound to be less expensive than replacing a stove. There are many things I cook in my very basic Black & Decker toaster oven - pot pies with biscuit / dumpling sort of topping, broiled boneless breast of chicken, finish off individual frittata in little cast iron frying pan. When I used to pre-make chocolate chip cookies and freeze the little dome-shaped blobs of dough I would pop 2 into the toaster over as we started dinner and had the luxury of freshly baked warm cookies for dessert!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
klunick klunick You burned your kitchen down??? :jawdrop: How?
First time heating up the oil for fondue. Guess I had it up too high. I was talking to my husband and the dog started barking. Turned around and one whole side of the kitchen was engulfed in flames. Cabinets, range hood, and stove.

Husband and I grabbed fire extinguisher. I was in such shock, I never deployed the extinguisher. Husband emptied his and then grabbed mine and emptied it.

I told my husband that I knew he must love me because he didn't yell at me for burning down the kitchen. He did make me go to Walmart though for another coffee pot because he needed his coffee in the morning. I was covered in soot but I went.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time heating up the oil for fondue. Guess I had it up too high. I was talking to my husband and the dog started barking. Turned around and one whole side of the kitchen was engulfed in flames. Cabinets, range hood, and stove.

Husband and I grabbed fire extinguisher. I was in such shock, I never deployed the extinguisher. Husband emptied his and then grabbed mine and emptied it.

I told my husband that I knew he must love me because he didn't yell at me for burning down the kitchen. He did make me go to Walmart though for another coffee pot because he needed his coffee in the morning. I was covered in soot but I went.
Like I said before, you have a sweet husband.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So pray tell - what do you usually cook in the oven, and for how many people?

A very nice toaster oven is bound to be less expensive than replacing a stove. There are many things I cook in my very basic Black & Decker toaster oven - pot pies with biscuit / dumpling sort of topping, broiled boneless breast of chicken, finish off individual frittata in little cast iron frying pan. When I used to pre-make chocolate chip cookies and freeze the little dome-shaped blobs of dough I would pop 2 into the toaster over as we started dinner and had the luxury of freshly baked warm cookies for dessert!
I feel for you.... Seriously, look into the iFood Grilli.. the new one which is like a mini oven. It folds up!!
Around $200 or so... dependent on where you ok and sales..

I swear, when my Cuisinart Convection toaster oven goes, I am getting the above.. Just cannot justify it right now...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is a greater demand than supply.
How long of a wait is there?

are you following the directions? If you are, then are you draining and rinsing the beans before you add them in?
The directions are crap. In the reviews everybody says that. It has 2 cups of liquid. It just says bring to a boil, then reduce heat. It doesn't say reduce to what temp and it doesn't even mention a cover, so I didn't use one. I can try it. What notch should I put it on? Electric stove. There is Low, then 6 notches, Medium is the 6th notch. It's a sauce pan/pot, not a frying pan. Yes I drained the beans.

It was store bought this time, but I have made it myself before.
Was it the McCormick one?

he didn't yell at me for burning down the kitchen. He did make me go to Walmart though for another coffee pot because he needed his coffee in the morning.
Is it weird that I swooned a little bit reading that? ☕

Breakfast: Yucky Thomas whole wheat bagel toasted with butter & Turbinado sugar, 1/4 cup fresh diced cantaloupe.

Lunch: Plate full of candy! :lol: Butterfinger, white chocolate peanut butter cups, peanut butter cookie, sour patch kids- regular and extra sour. Butterfinger was my favorite, the rest were too sweet.

Dinner: A pie stromboli. :lol: Well not really, it was actually half a caramel apple pie, but it looked like a stromboli. That's how I justified eating all of it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said before, you have a sweet husband.
How long of a wait is there?

The directions are crap. In the reviews everybody says that. It has 2 cups of liquid. It just says bring to a boil, then reduce heat. It doesn't say reduce to what temp and it doesn't even mention a cover, so I didn't use one. I can try it. What notch should I put it on? Electric stove. There is Low, then 6 notches, Medium is the 6th notch. It's a sauce pan/pot, not a frying pan. Yes I drained the beans.

Is it weird that I swooned a little bit reading that? ☕

Breakfast: Yucky Thomas whole wheat bagel toasted with butter & Turbinado sugar, 1/4 cup fresh diced cantaloupe.

Lunch: Plate full of candy! :lol: Butterfinger, white chocolate peanut butter cups, peanut butter cookie, sour patch kids- regular and extra sour. Butterfinger was my favorite, the rest were too sweet.

Dinner: A pie stromboli. :lol: Well not really, it was actually half a caramel apple pie, but it looked like a stromboli. That's how I justified eating all of it.
He has quite the temper which is why I was shocked that he didn't go off on me for doing that. Plus we had only been married a few years. Not sure the outcome would be the same after 23 years.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Try between low and medium. Reducing the heat from boil just means to turn the heat down so the mixture is just at simmer. Adjust the knob as needed so the mixture doesn't start boiling again but also isn't barely heating up. All stoves are different so recipes are just give a general temperature setting (medium, medium-high, etc). If no cover is mentioned, you probably don't need one. Lids trap heat and moisture. If you want a sauce to thicken, don't use a lid but also keep an eye on it so it doesn't dry out too much. The Knorr products do have microwave instructions. Have you tried that method?

I had chicken Pad Thai for dinner.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the Knorr products do have microwave instructions. Have you tried that method?
I don't like microwaved food much. I'd rather do it on the stove. Thanks. I'll give it a try on the stove on medium-low, that would be notch 3 up from Low I guess. I'm not sure I know the difference between boil and simmer, but I'll try to figure it out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure I know the difference between boil and simmer, but I'll try to figure it out.

Boil is when you get the big bubbles that sometimes causes the food to spill out of the pot. Simmer is little bubbles.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oven saga continues - repair person told us the part we need for our oven was discontinued 5 years ago. Nooooo! Long story short we have to get a new oven and it's going to break the bank. Plus since so many people are home and cooking more due to the pandemic there is a greater demand than supply. I used the microwave and made a bowl with brown rice, stewed tomatoes, broccoli, black beans and avocado for dinner tonight but will have to be creative with our future dinners.
He may be right,but you might google your model number and see what you find.There are many places out there that carry parts of all kinds,and if he's only looking at one supplier...worth a shot.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shrimp, chicken of the woods mushrooms, onion, green peas, all tossed over pasta

Mushrooms from freezer, had been sliced, sauteed and packed in the butter and herbs they'd been sauteed in. Defrosted, poured off butter to saute onion, then added shrimp and put lid on saucepan to cook the shrimp. Added mushrooms and tossed everything with the spaghetti. Frozen tiny baby green peas done in the microwave. Himself had his green peas separately, I added mine to everything else.

And it was a good dinner.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No. Actually it was from Bulk Barn, so don't know what brand it was.

Yikes. I know I've been jokingly encouraging you to learn to like sweets, but that's a bit much, even for me. :lol:

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That. is. awesome.
I hope you got to do some fun practice using an extinguisher afterwards haha
I was just thinking about how I wish I could train my cat to use a fire extinguisher, and to use the emergency escapes. Somewhere in my phone is a video of her falling asleep on a fire extinguisher.
I have 2 10lb ones, also keep this little aerosol by my bed.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That. is. awesome.
I hope you got to do some fun practice using an extinguisher afterwards haha
I was just thinking about how I wish I could train my cat to use a fire extinguisher, and to use the emergency escapes. Somewhere in my phone is a video of her falling asleep on a fire extinguisher.
I have 2 10lb ones, also keep this little aerosol by my bed.
No practice with a fire extinguisher, even 20 years later. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've had several short but intense vertigo attacks today.
I hope you feel better and you were able to get some nourishment for dinner. 🤗 Vertigo - been there, done that and it's not fun.

With the winter months shortly upon us and since I like to bake I'm thinking more and more about needing an oven. We are limited to manufacturers because it has to be a built-in oven that fits into a specific size space. There are only two companies that meet the requirements of the space. So I will make due with the stovetop and crock pot for now but seriously considering a new oven since our old one was 22 years old.

Trader Joe's gluten free fusilli pasta tonight with basil pomodoro sauce, fresh green onions, avocado and a baguette.

Status
Not open for further replies.