What's For Dinner? - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to visit our son and daughter in law today and they fixed us a feast!Bacon wrapped pork loin roast,new potatoes tossed with butter,garlic and salt and peer and steamed brocolli and cauliflower.Great meal for sure!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did my shopping yesterday. WORE ME OUT! However, if necessary, I could go six months without buying anything but bread and eggs. I'm STOCKED! I did manage to score some really pretty tomatoes...not "home-grown" pretty, but "grocery store" pretty. I keep them on my counter, but did stick one in the fridge to chill, and had a wonderful tomato sandwich for supper! Took everything I had to slice the silly thing, I was so worn out!

Tonight...um. Dunno. I'm between roast beef and cheddar sandwich, ham and Swiss sandwich, or hot pastrami and Swiss sandwich. I cleaned and did laundry today, and am kinda wiped out...again!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breakfast: One slice of Great Value NY rye bread toasted with sunflower seed butter sample. Yuck, it was so bitter! Also 2 diced up Kiwi.

Lunch: Veggie sammich on Great Value NY rye bread toasted, mayo, red french, sriracha, swiss chard, tomato, tortilla chips, dill pickle slices, kiwi, mozzarella cheese. Something went wrong with this mix, probably the kiwi.

Dinner: Practiced making a stir-fry, I have a few more ideas of how to improve it.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for dinner last night i had a veggie wrap and cottage cheese. for breakfest this morning i had oatmeal, cranberry juice and canned pears and lunch i am havimg spinach, brown rice and salad. i told the aide that i don't want anymore canned fruit or cranberry juice. the only other juice they have is oj but that is not vegetarian. i am going to ask my brother to bring me some v8 juice and bananas so i can get some potassium.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What brand of orange juice was it? Tropicana has a Heart Healthy orange juice that does contain omega 3 in the form of fish oil and fish gelatin.

I think I'll make a quick pasta with butter and frozen veggies and grated Parmesan cheese for dinner.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still filled up from earlier today - we treated ourselves to another new veg breakfast/lunch spot that makes delicious bowls. They opened this year and only serve cold bowls now but plan to start serving warm bowls once the weather gets cooler.

IMG_0560.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heart Healthy orange juice that does contain omega 3 in the form of fish oil and fish gelatin
Yeah, I was looking at some Omega nut butters and they all had fish in them! Weird. There must be some vegetarian form of omegas they could add. :headscratch:

another peach. 🍑
I wanted to get some peaches in our Aldi order, but there was a peach recall! So I tried to order a Peach Salsa, but they wouldn't let me have that either! I was craving something peach. :(

that makes delicious bowls
Well aren't ya gonna tell us what is in the bowls? I just can't guess. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a list of vegetarian sources of omega 3s here: 15 omega-3-rich foods: Fish and vegetarian sources Nuts, flax seed, seaweed, and kidney beans are some good sources. I'm not sure if any of those would affect how orange juice taste, although I'm surprised orange juice that contains fish oil as the omega 3 source doesn't taste fishy.

Freshly squeezed orange juice obviously won't have any added stuff to it. Commercial brands that just list 100% juice as the ingredient are just that. Fortified juices may contain vitamins and minerals from animal sources. Google is no help with coming up with orange that is specifically labelled as vegetarian or marketed towards vegetarians.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Commercial brands that just list 100% juice as the ingredient are just that.
Good idea, thanks. I'll look for ones that say 100% Juice.

Breakfast: Aldi Millville Oats & Honey crunchy granola with Sun-Maid dried mango and regular cow milk. This dried mango is so hard and chewy! It's really different from other dried fruits like cranberries and raisins.

Lunch: Veggie Sammich on Aldi Turano Panini bread toasted, mayo, red french, ghost pepper sauce, Aldi sharp cheese, raw broccoli, tomato, swiss chard, cucumber, green onion. I love this bread, it's so huge! The ghost pepper sauce burned me into next week. 😲

Dinner: One hard boiled egg, tortilla chips, and a roasted tomato, broccoli, onion, garlic mix. I put red jalapeno sauce on top. I really liked the egg with the tortilla chips! My brother puts eggs on Mexican food.

Is a green onion a Shallot or a Scallion?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still filled up from earlier today - we treated ourselves to another new veg breakfast/lunch spot that makes delicious bowls. They opened this year and only serve cold bowls now but plan to start serving warm bowls once the weather gets cooler.

View attachment 349935
Very colourful, but like M maggiedemi , I can't tell what's in the bowls either. Well, other than the blueberry, raspberry, and pecan. ;)

I wanted to get some peaches in our Aldi order, but there was a peach recall! So I tried to order a Peach Salsa, but they wouldn't let me have that either! I was craving something peach. :(
A peach recall too? :sigh: The ones I bought were Canadian origin, so ok, hopefully.

Is a green onion a Shallot or a Scallion?
I posted that question to Google, and here's the answer.

The true shallot is actually a bulb with a more delicate garlic-like flavour than an onion,
while the scallion, also known as spring or green onion, which is thin, with a white bulb
and edible stalks, is in fact an unripe, sweet onion that is picked before the bulb matures.
Knowing the difference between shallots and scallions | SOSCuisine.

So sounds like a green onion is a scallion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.