What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'll have to attempt beef stew in the fall or winter. Are there any good slow cooker recipes?
I’ve used this slow cooker recipe for years. The prep is fast and easy, and it’s tasty over pasta. I usually use egg noodles, but any pasta works. If you don’t like olives, you can leave them out. It also freezes well (before the pasta, of course). Good ol’ Betty Crocker.
52F32F66-8C44-433F-8F27-7049691012A3.jpeg

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
The supermarket sometimes has packages of cubed fresh meat labelled as "stew meat". Would that be ok to use?
Yep. That’s exactly what I use. If some of the pieces are larger, I snip them into smaller pieces with kitchen shears.

I said you can leave the olives out, and you can, but they do add flavor.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Olives are :barf:

I just noticed that the recipe calls for marinara sauce. Is that typical of beef stew recipes? Or ketchup?
You could try capers instead of olives or use olives for the background flavoring and pick them out when the dish is cooked. It’s that salty, briney flavor you’re looking for. But it would be fine without either. You could add other herbs, like Italian seasoning, for more flavor.

Marinara or pasta sauce has herbs that ketchup doesn’t have. The texture is also different. I wouldn’t pour ketchup over my pasta! :)

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Tonight it’s grilled brats on pretzel buns, steamed green beans, orzo salad, and, as always, a large green salad. Dessert will be two Almond Rocas each. Love those things!

I see that the man who won the hotdog eating contest (Joey “Jaws” Chestnut) ate 71 hotdogs. :jawdrop: :barfgreen: Miko Sudo, the women’s champ, ate 31. Thought of you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
CRUD! The first of the neighborhood fireworks have started...not the City or the Marine Base displays, the backyard guys. Hek just went under the bed. SPIT!

I just had some ice cream with hot sauce on it. Ewww!
Not doing that again. That was just wrong. :lol:
LOL, should I mention that I like a tiny bit of freshly ground black pepper on GOOD vanilla bean ice cream?

I'll have to attempt beef stew in the fall or winter. Are there any good slow cooker recipes?
A few million, but the one you have sounds wonderful!

No hot dogs??
OH ALL RIGHT! I'll order the piggy molds, and bring some mini pigs in blankets...that's hot dog-ish... (still bringing the cheese cake bites...)

Tonight...I have no clue. I do my monthly shopping tomorrow. I delayed it by two days, since I figured the 3rd and 4th of July would be Hellish at the store. Since it is a weekend holiday, tomorrow won't be much better, but some, and I'm going quite early. I'll let you know tomorrow what I scrounged up for tonight. No sandwiches, I'm out of bread! WAIT...I have a tiny bit of ground beef left, and I think there's a hamburger bun! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.