What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, from here on in, every night I'm going to a different house for dinner. One night, it will be lizzie lizzie , one night, I'm going to Mia6 Mia6 , one night, it will be to C catapault , one night to Kat0121 Kat0121 , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , @maggiedemi, and so on. Until I've visited every house in this thread. And then I'll start over. And I'll just keep going to different people and you'll just have to feed me! Such good dinners!

Anyway, tonight we'll be having beef stew from the freezer. I'll add potatoes as it's heating up (I don't add potatoes before freezing stew because they get mushy upon thawing). Our Giant had sweet cherries on sale with a coupon, so I bought them to make some cherry puffs for our dessert. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I made sopes from that recipe orange&white orange&white shared. Made half the recipe, 12 sopes, using a small pullet egg. I mean, how do you halve an egg? Portioned out dough (about 35 grams / sopes before baking.) Did half with chili, half with corn and beans. Very nice, but very filling, too much. Or do I blame that on the half of an avocado with lime . . .
View attachment 290829
That looks mouthwatering!!:clap:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
You know, from here on in, every night I'm going to a different house for dinner. One night, it will be lizzie lizzie , one night, I'm going to Mia6 Mia6 , one night, it will be to C catapault , one night to Kat0121 Kat0121 , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , @maggiedemi, and so on. Until I've visited every house in this thread. And then I'll start over. And I'll just keep going to different people and you'll just have to feed me! Such good dinners!

Anyway, tonight we'll be having beef stew from the freezer. I'll add potatoes as it's heating up (I don't add potatoes before freezing stew because they get mushy upon thawing). Our Giant had sweet cherries on sale with a coupon, so I bought them to make some cherry puffs for our dessert. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I agree with you, Winchester Winchester The beef stew sound so good. And cherry puffs?
Never had them but sounds great.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you kidding? We’re all coming to your house. And after dinner we’re all going to your “shed,” put up our feet, and talk cats. :winkcat:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I love beef stew. :yummy:

I feel like I haven't made a decent, real meal in a long time. It's been mostly quick meals and take out.

Tonight will most likely be chicken and veggies over rice. Last night I made a ham and cheese bisquick quiche. We've still got leftovers of that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget a stop at orange&white orange&white 's house:D Oh, and @1 bruce 1 will want to tag along. Just be sure to securely strap him into the car ;):lol:

What's in the beef stew besides the obvious Winchester Winchester ? Mom used to make beef stew and put all sorts of ethnic dried herbs in (star anise was one) along with carrots and onions. It was never really good :disappointed: The meat was always super tough and dry:cringe: Not sure what cut of meat she used.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget a stop at orange&white orange&white 's house:D Oh, and @1 bruce 1 will want to tag along. Just be sure to securely strap him into the car ;):lol:

What's in the beef stew besides the obvious Winchester Winchester ? Mom used to make beef stew and put all sorts of ethnic dried herbs in (star anise was one) along with carrots and onions. It was never really good :disappointed: The meat was always super tough and dry:cringe: Not sure what cut of meat she used.
Yes, it's summer....so not much cooking going on....but y'all are welcome to come for tuna salad. :)

I did buy some beef chuck on sale for $1.99 last week, and cooked a piece in the crock pot over the weekend. I like to slice and wrap small potatoes in foil with butter and spices and let them "bake" on top of the roast in the crock. On the side, I oven-roasted carrots and onions. So it's been beef sandwiches this week, instead of tuna.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I think it was my grandmother who made pot roast that could substitute for shoe leather. The gravy was wonderful, however.

Many people look for very lean meat. Big mistake. You want something marbled with fat and even connective tissue - little white streaks running through the meat. Chuck is good.

Sear meat to brown all over, then set aside. Brown chunks of carrots, onion, pieces of celery. Return meat on top of vegetables. Add liquid - I like red vermouth and stock, equal parts, just to the bottom of the meat. You don't want it sitting in liquids. Cover tightly and put in a low oven - 275 degrees Fahrenheit is good, 300 degrees F. O.K. nothing higher. You are looking for low and slow. Time will depend on how hefty a chunk of meat you are cooking.

Left overs are great for all sorts of followup meals, hash for example.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it was my grandmother who made pot roast that could substitute for shoe leather.
Mom wasn't a very good cook :headshake: Tough, dry, tasteless chicken. Even tougher and also rubbery steamed lobster. Limp veggies. The occasional burnt rice. Dad wasn't any better plus everything he cooked oddly tasted like soap :barfgreen:

I don't recall if Mom ever added liquid to the stew:think: If she did, it wasn't very much. Like a little splash of something. The stew was cooked entirely on the stove for like an hour.

Leftovers for dinner tonight. Nothing interesting, just store rotisserie chicken and Pasta-Roni.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I always to do the beef stew in the oven. No crock pot. It tastes better done in the oven with a piece of parchment right under the lid, so it's a good braise. I sear chunks from a nice chuck roast and add my version of Emeril Lagasse's Rustic Rub and fresh basil leaves. A bit of tomato sauce, a bit of stock, and one cup of red wine. Potatoes, carrots and peas (that have been sugared and cooked separately before being added to the pot), lots of sliced onion, and I always use fresh sliced 'shrooms to the mix. Sometimes I'll throw some dumplings on top. Sometimes I'll make Yorkshire pudding, throw a slice of the pudding on the plate, and spoon the stew over the pudding. Always with chunky applesauce and a good salad. I love beef stew! (When I freeze it, I don't add as many potatoes and then Rick picks them out of the stew and eats them. When I reheat the stew, I add fresh potatoes.

When I'm buying chuck, I always look for marbling for extra flavor and texture. Chuck is best for stews and for beef pot pie. But I've been known to marinate chuck in a beer-based marinade and then throw it on the grill. Sliced very thinly, it's really not bad, as long as it's not overdone.

My mom always cooked vegetables to the point of no chew at all. I like green beans and asparagus to have a bit of bite to them. I don't like mushy vegetables. She also overcooked beef because that's how Dad liked it. I like beef that's red in the center. "Make it moo!" and I'm good. :)

You are all invited to our place for dinner! Any time at all! The only thing I request is that you bring good appetites! And Kat0121 Kat0121 MUST bring margaritas! I think she makes darned good ones! I do love a good margarita! :cloud9: Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's cheese cake nibbles sound really good, too.

ETA: I got so excited about y'all coming for dinner that I forgot about our dinner tonight. Rick is coming in today -- if it doesn't rain -- and we're going to the farmers' market for lunch, hot sausage sandwiches with (maybe) a small ice cream cone for dessert from our local ice cream place in town, if it's not too crowded. Rick usually gets a Red Bull Shake. Anyway, we won't do much for dinner tonight, maybe a quick salad, if even that. We have some hummus in the fridge and I'm thinking of putting a small plate of fresh veggies together and that would be supper.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 I always to do the beef stew in the oven. No crock pot. It tastes better done in the oven with a piece of parchment right under the lid, so it's a good braise. I sear chunks from a nice chuck roast and add my version of Emeril Lagasse's Rustic Rub. A bit of tomato sauce and one cup of red wine. Potatoes, carrots and peas (that have been sugared and cooked separately), lots of sliced onion, and I always use fresh sliced 'shrooms to the mix. Sometimes I'll throw some dumplings on top. Sometimes I'll make Yorkshire pudding, throw a slice of the pudding on the plate, and spoon the stew over the pudding. Always with chunky applesauce and a good salad. I love beef stew! (When I freeze it, I don't add as many potatoes and then Rick picks them out of the stew and eats them. When I reheat the stew, I add fresh potatoes.

When I'm buying chuck, I always look for marbling for extra flavor and texture. Chuck is best for stews and for beef pot pie. I've been known to marinate chuck in a beer-based marinade and then throw it on the grill. Sliced very thinly, it's really not bad.

You are all invited to our place for dinner! Any time at all! The only thing I request is that you bring good appetites! And Kat0121 Kat0121 MUST bring margaritas! I think she makes darned good ones! I do love a good margarita! :cloud9: Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 's cheese cake nibbles sound really good, too.
I do make good ones and they are so simple. I use Jose Cuervo 1800 silver, Grand Marnier and Simply Limeade. Over ice in a chilled glass with a salted rim. It is SO good. The Grand Marnier adds just a little something extra.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I do make good ones and they are so simple. I use Jose Cuervo 1800 silver, Grand Marnier and Simply Limeade. Over ice in a chilled glass with a salted rim. It is SO good. The Grand Marnier adds just a little something extra.
Sounds so refreshing! Could you make a Virgin one for me? Can't drink alcohol with the pain meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.