What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh. I kind of throw Tex-Mex meals together without recipes or measurements. Here's "pretty close"...

Simmer 1 to 1.5 lbs of chicken breast in 12 oz chicken stock. Pull meat out to cool and shred when cool.

To the hot stock add:
20 oz green chile salsa (Salsa Verde)
8 oz room temperature cream cheese, cut in chunks
1-2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp granulated onion
salt to taste (I make unseasoned chicken broth so I added about 1/4 tsp salt. If you use salted chicken broth, you may not want to add any salt. Also, the salsa is pretty salty.)

Blend sauce together. I used an immersion stick blender. You can pour into a blender, use a hand mixer, or mix by hand with a whisk. You just want a smooth sauce with no lumps of cream cheese.

You should have a little over 4 cups of sauce.

Pour enough sauce to coat the bottom of a baking pan, about 1 cup. My baking pan is nonstick....otherwise I'd probably oil it or use cooking spray.

Pour enough sauce on shredded chicken to "wet", about 2 cups.

Reserve the final 1 cup of sauce without chicken to pour over top.

12 corn tortillas:

Heat a couple tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan and dip corn tortillas in hot oil just for a few seconds on each side to soften them, then blot with paper towel.

Put 4 tortillas in pan. Cover with 1/2 the chicken and sauce mixture. Add 4 more tortillas, then the other 1/2 the chicken and sauce mixture. Top with the last 4 tortillas and cover with the reserved cup of sauce.

Sprinkle top with 1 cup of grated cheese. I used Monterrey Jack. Cheddar would be good too. Or Provolone...or Mozzarella. Use your favorite cheese. You can also use up to 2 cups, if you're feeling particularly cheesy. :)

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until the casserole is heated through (starting to bubble in the center). I set the timer for an initial 20 minutes, then added 5 minutes at a time to check on it. 30 minutes total.

These came out of the oven pretty "saucy". Leftovers tend to absorb a quite a bit of sauce into the tortillas and get a little drier. It's one of those dishes where the leftovers are often better than the first day, after the flavors meld and it "sets up" a bit in the fridge. :yummy:
Sounds yummy

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Beef stew for dinner tonight, with dumplings, I'm thinking. I'll throw together some creamed lettuce. I told Rick this morning, he could have bread pudding, peach cobbler, or chocolate brownies for dessert. He couldn't decide, so he said he'd get back to me during his morning break today. I'd lay 99% odds that he'll text me and say Bread Pudding.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 Creamed lettuce is torn lettuce with a creamy dressing mixed in. Mom used to make it all the time and I really didn't like it much. Now that she's not here to make it, I find that I miss it. I use milk, some sugar, salt, a bit of vinegar, all mixed to taste. You can also use half-and-half. Mom used milk, so that's what I use.

Rick did pick bread pudding for his dessert on Monday. :)

Tonight will either be leftover beef stew; I'll make some popovers and open them and we can plop the stew into the popovers. Or a bit of leftover roast pork, leftover garlic potatoes and maybe some steamed broccoli. I'll see what Dear Richard would like to have. Either way, it's leftovers. (I'm glad he doesn't mind leftovers!)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long do your greens normally last you?
About a week. Although, at the rate I can eat salad when it is available to me, it's gone before it's...well...gone.

Creamed lettuce is torn lettuce with a creamy dressing mixed in.
So, kinda like a lettuce slaw? That actually sounds pretty good!

Sunday, I did a roast with veggies in my new crock pot. MAN, did it turn out better than I could have hoped! I was literally cutting the servings of beef with the edge of the spoon I used on the veggies! SO...I ate that Sunday, Monday and yesterday! Couldn't help myself, and kept going to the fridge to snag a piece of carrot or potato, as well. Ran out. Must now cook. Probably a danged hot dog.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Rick did pick bread pudding for his dessert on Monday. :)
My husband loves bread pudding. I used to have a really good recipe too but it's been so long since I've made it that I have no clue where it could be. :dunno:

Undecided about tonight's dinner for me. It will either be the last of the leftover veggie chili or scrambled eggs with green vegetables, (green onions, green peppers and avocado).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bad: Leftovers.

The good: Leftovers are good, makings for soft tacos and some weird and really good cheese and onion and potato and something else (I don't know, is that chicken?) in it.
We're reorganizing our own fridge to make things more organized and harder to lose food that falls to the back, in case we lose an apple and 2 years later think it's a black olive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Undecided about tonight's dinner for me. It will either be the last of the leftover veggie chili or scrambled eggs with green vegetables, (green onions, green peppers and avocado).
Since I made the scrambled eggs with veggies last night I finished the leftover chili tonight. I also had the 'other' half of a zucchini muffin and a honeycrisp apple.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Yeah, it's kind of like a lettuce slaw, but you don't grate the lettuce like you would cabbage; you just tear it into pieces. And the dressing is a little sweeter than a coleslaw dressing would be.

neely neely If your husband likes a bread pudding with a custard-type bottom, try this recipe: Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts Go down a ways; it's there. It's Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding. Rick loves this recipe. Try it!

I'm thinking pizza tonight. I don't think I have any dough balls in the freezer, so I'll have to make dough. Sausage, pepperoni, caramelized onion, and peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.