What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Could not get warm today..

Supper: beef stew with a huge chunk of french bread and butter..

Got it from the local joint: A real old fashioned Italian Deli... also got some Italian Wedding Soup for Tomorrow.. YUM..

If I do not eat all the soup, it goes in my freezer!!! really good soup....

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was tasty and we had it for two nights. I heated up some minestrone soup from the freezer last night. My husband has been working 12+ hour days for the pat week and a half, including the weekend. He has a huge presentation at 11:30 and I think he is going to take the rest of the day off and we are going out for a late lunch.
Enjoy your day together :wave3:

We don't have turkey on Thanksgiving so we're going to thaw one out for ourselves. Those birds take forever to thaw so it'll probably be ready in a week. :flail:
We'll bake it, eat what we can, clean it and freeze what we don't eat. The carcass will be boiled down and the remaining meat will be used for soup. The bones will be boiled down more to make a delicious nutritious broth that people and dogs and cats can all enjoy.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to town to pick up a few things before the "weather" hits tomorrow and ended up having a late lunch that kinda became supper...fried catfish,cole slaw,jalapeno poppers and cucumber and onion salad.Tomorrow night is already a plan...homemade butternut squash soup and beef on weck sammies.I can't wait!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The quintessential British meal...bangers and mash! How lovely! I actually have a recipe for Toad in the Hole that I want to try out. Haven't gotten brave yet, but I will!

Tonight...SALAD! Since I only shop once a month, fresh salad greens this late in the month is a real treat! And there are croutons, and cheese, and maybe a boiled egg, just for fun! And a baked potato. I'm using up sour cream.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The quintessential British meal...bangers and mash! How lovely! I actually have a recipe for Toad in the Hole that I want to try out. Haven't gotten brave yet, but I will!

Tonight...SALAD! Since I only shop once a month, fresh salad greens this late in the month is a real treat! And there are croutons, and cheese, and maybe a boiled egg, just for fun! And a baked potato. I'm using up sour cream.
How long do your greens normally last you? We've got a trick to make them last a week or more, storing them washed and 100% dried in a large ziploc or a bowl lined with several paper towels. They stay nice and crisp for 9-10 days!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on a bit of a junk food binge lately, not feeling like cooking much. I did just make a 1/2 batch of a new recipe for chocolate meringue cookies....and ate 3 of them. Now I'm not hungry for dinner.

Maybe chili cheese nachos later. Or more cookies. :devilish:

These are really delicious and amazingly easy to make. The cats eat 18 egg yolks a month and I always have tubs of egg whites, most of which eventually get tossed. These cookies may become a "regular" item to help use some of them up.

Chocolate Chewy Meringue Cookies | The Café Sucre Farine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday I had steamed grey sole :yummy: The fish vendor was having a sale on grey sole. The sign said they had an unexpected over abundance of grey sole. I love grey sole, especially the way most good authentic Chinese restaurants make it: the meat carefully removed from the skin and steamed in ginger and scallions and other things while the intact skin is tempura-styled fried. The meat is then served on top of the fried skin. Sooo good :yummy:

Tonight it's comfort food for a cold snowy / slushy day: one pot chicken and rice. Maybe some sweet potato fries or potato puffs (tater tots) to go along.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recipe please?
Oh gosh. I kind of throw Tex-Mex meals together without recipes or measurements. Here's "pretty close"...

Simmer 1 to 1.5 lbs of chicken breast in 12 oz chicken stock. Pull meat out to cool and shred when cool.

To the hot stock add:
20 oz green chile salsa (Salsa Verde)
8 oz room temperature cream cheese, cut in chunks
1-2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp granulated onion
salt to taste (I make unseasoned chicken broth so I added about 1/4 tsp salt. If you use salted chicken broth, you may not want to add any salt. Also, the salsa is pretty salty.)

Blend sauce together. I used an immersion stick blender. You can pour into a blender, use a hand mixer, or mix by hand with a whisk. You just want a smooth sauce with no lumps of cream cheese.

You should have a little over 4 cups of sauce.

Pour enough sauce to coat the bottom of a baking pan, about 1 cup. My baking pan is nonstick....otherwise I'd probably oil it or use cooking spray.

Pour enough sauce on shredded chicken to "wet", about 2 cups.

Reserve the final 1 cup of sauce without chicken to pour over top.

12 corn tortillas:

Heat a couple tablespoons of cooking oil in a pan and dip corn tortillas in hot oil just for a few seconds on each side to soften them, then blot with paper towel.

Put 4 tortillas in pan. Cover with 1/2 the chicken and sauce mixture. Add 4 more tortillas, then the other 1/2 the chicken and sauce mixture. Top with the last 4 tortillas and cover with the reserved cup of sauce.

Sprinkle top with 1 cup of grated cheese. I used Monterrey Jack. Cheddar would be good too. Or Provolone...or Mozzarella. Use your favorite cheese. You can also use up to 2 cups, if you're feeling particularly cheesy. :)

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven until the casserole is heated through (starting to bubble in the center). I set the timer for an initial 20 minutes, then added 5 minutes at a time to check on it. 30 minutes total.

These came out of the oven pretty "saucy". Leftovers tend to absorb a quite a bit of sauce into the tortillas and get a little drier. It's one of those dishes where the leftovers are often better than the first day, after the flavors meld and it "sets up" a bit in the fridge. :yummy:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Make it! You'll love it. I made it a few times and my very picky DD loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.