What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite bagel sammies is cream cheese, sliced tomato and thinly sliced red onion.
That sounds good. I usually use mayo, but the cream cheese might be a nice change.

Do you like hummus? If so, a thin layer with all those veggies, minus the cheese probably
Hummus is okay. I've never had it on a sandwich. Can I still use mayo with it?

avocado toast
Is it just avocado & toast? Any other ingredients like butter?

We had hot dogs, mac & cheese, and baked beans last night for dinner. I tried freezing the hot dogs and then unthawing to see if they freeze okay, and they were fine.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds good. I usually use mayo, but the cream cheese might be a nice change.

We had hot dogs, mac & cheese, and baked beans last night for dinner. I tried freezing the hot dogs and then unthawing to see if they freeze okay, and they were fine.
It's delicious and better than mayo because the cream cheese is thicker and holds the tomato/onion on better. It's also tastier than mayo (and I'm a big mayo fan). I've gotten strange looks from people before but it's not that unusual. in NY, people eat it like that but also add smoked salmon (lox) and capers. I'm not a big fish fan and IMO capers look like bunny turds so I skip those. I do add a few dashes of coarse salt on the top. Delicious.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
M maggiedemi sure. Why not? You are the architect of your sandwich. Mayo on one slice of bread, hummus on the other. I don't see how that could be bad. If constructed like that, they wouldn't clash with each other because of the ingredients in the middle. :think:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I had a cheese sammie. Pretty full from the 3 tacos I scarfed down at lunch plus half a bagel.
Not sure about today. I have hearts of Romaine with a new bottle of Blue Cheese dressing, Marie's.
It's so cold I feel like tomato soup from Panera bread.

lizzie lizzie How do you make the bacon and tomato salad dressing?
@muffy Hope your mouth is healing.
It's a hidden valley ranch farmhouse originals tomato and bacon salad dressing.The stores around here don't carry it year round so when they get it on the shelves in the summer,I stock up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am attempting this tonight: Creamy White Bean and Spinach Quesadillas - Budget Bytes Seems easy enough to do. I'm using cheddar cheese instead of pepper jack since that's what I already have in the fridge.
That looks and sounds good. Hope your version turned out.

I don't, but I'm sure you could. I'll sometime put a thin layer of hummus on both slices of bread, then add the veggies on top of it, so it'll help keep them from sliding out of the sandwich.

Oh... pita bread is great for keeping veggies from sliding off the sandwich. However, I always manage to tear it. :(

About hummus, can you buy mini containers where you live? Like these: PC Mini Hummus Chickpea Dip and Spread
Walmart.com has these: Sabra Hummus Classic 2 oz Cups, 6 Count - Walmart.com

That's what I buy, then I don't have to eat it continuously to finish it before it goes bad. I'll put some on my sandwich, then dip carrot and/or celery sticks in whatever is left.

I sometimes mash avocado and spread just the avocado on toast. Avocado has healthy fat, so it's good for you, and since it already has fat, butter isn't needed. But is calorie dense, so I only eat 1/2 at a time.

I've also done toast with mashed avocado and sliced strawberries.
Here's a link: The Yummiest Strawberry Avocado Toast for Breakfast!
I didn't do the coconut or honey/maple syrup, but that sounds good too.

There's tons of variations of "Avocado Toast". Here's one link: Avocado Toast Recipe (Plus Tips & Variations) - Cookie and Kate
Google will find many, many more.

Another one of my favourite sandwiches, I posted before. My toast with cheese, apple, raisins, walnuts. Here's the link to where I posted about it before: What's For Dinner? - 2019

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other day grocery shopping I bought a gigundo package of polish sausage and I need to divide it up and get it in the freezer.We have some german potato salad left,so I think the sausage,potato salad and green beans will be what's for dinner tonight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That looks and sounds good. Hope your version turned out.
It came out pretty well :) I got 8 quesadillas out of the recipe because I grabbed 6 inch tortillas from the supermarket instead of 8 inch ones :rolleyes: I thought I had cannellini beans in the pantry but it was garbanzo beans so I used that instead.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 5 spiced chicken is cooking away in the slow cooker. The chicken was still slightly frozen when I took it out of the fridge but I think it'll be ok :crossfingers: I used shiitake mushrooms and a mushroom blend (trumpet, enoki). I also bought regular white mushrooms but I couldn't fit them into the slow cooker. I'll just saute them later in the week.

For some reason, whenever I use the slow cooker Leroy gets super excited :dunno: I have no idea if the slow cooker emits a sound only cats can hear or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.