What's For Dinner? - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For the past 2 weeks, I have been vegetarian just at lunch, so lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, mayo. I wonder if nuts would taste good on a sandwich? That would add some extra protein. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
One of my favorite bagel sammies is cream cheese, sliced tomato and thinly sliced red onion. I usually put that on an everything bagel. it would be great on a pumpernickel one too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like to make bagel sandwiches. I bought a pumpernickel bagel, never tried them before. I'll have that as a sandwich for lunch. :)
I LOVE pumpernickle bagels! Who know boiled bread dough could be so good?

Last night, I made a pork chop casserole with rice, corn, green beans and carrots. There's enough for three days, and it does NOT freeze well, so that will be tonight AND tomorrow night!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the past 2 weeks, I have been vegetarian just at lunch, so lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, mayo. I wonder if nuts would taste good on a sandwich? That would add some extra protein. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
Do you like hummus? If so, a thin layer with all those veggies, minus the cheese probably, would be tasty.

Not sure about nuts on a sandwich, but peanut butter and jam, as well as, peanut butter and banana, are vegetarian, and peanut butter has protein. You can also try almond butter, cashew butter, etc. but they're more pricey, and I actually prefer the peanut butter.

Egg salad sandwiches are also vegetarian.

Mashed chickpeas with mayo and celery tastes a lot like tuna salad. Here's a recipe I've based my version on: Vegetarian Chickpea Sandwich Filling Recipe

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My mom used to make a mock shrimp salad that tasted remarkably like the real thing. It would be good for vegetarians, but not vegans, because of the mayo. And for those too broke to buy shrimp. Ritz crackers are FAR cheaper! I'll try to find that recipe!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom used to make a mock shrimp salad that tasted remarkably like the real thing. It would be good for vegetarians, but not vegans, because of the mayo. And for those too broke to buy shrimp. Ritz crackers are FAR cheaper! I'll try to find that recipe!
You can buy vegan mayo. I really like it.
I would like to have the recipe.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FOUND IT! Darn...it also has boiled eggs, so you'd have to find a replacement for that. I'm sure there are Vegan substitutions for most animal products, so that might be doable! And it was saltine crackers, not Ritz...my memory is going!

MOCK SHRIMP SALAD​
#2 can pear tomatoes, chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
½ C mayonnaise
1 small onion, chopped
½ tsp pickle relish, dill or sweet, to taste
22 saltine crackers, broken
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well. Chill and serve.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had another late lunch out but it was delicious - a bowl of smashed sweet potato, grilled veggies with tofu kebabs and chicory coffee. Not too hungry for dinner so maybe avocado toast. I bought a few avocados the other day which are now ripe so have to use them up.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FOUND IT! Darn...it also has boiled eggs, so you'd have to find a replacement for that. I'm sure there are Vegan substitutions for most animal products, so that might be doable! And it was saltine crackers, not Ritz...my memory is going!

MOCK SHRIMP SALAD​
#2 can pear tomatoes, chopped
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
3 stalks celery, diced
½ C mayonnaise
1 small onion, chopped
½ tsp pickle relish, dill or sweet, to taste
22 saltine crackers, broken
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients well. Chill and serve.
Thanks for the recipe. I don't know what I can use for eggs.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite bagel sammies is cream cheese, sliced tomato and thinly sliced red onion. I usually put that on an everything bagel. it would be great on a pumpernickel one too.
Now that sounds soo tasty!! I wish I would have had her get some Asiago cheese, Everything, and Sesame

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I love chopped walnuts in chicken salad with grapes and dried cranberries.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I had a cheese sammie. Pretty full from the 3 tacos I scarfed down at lunch plus half a bagel.
Not sure about today. I have hearts of Romaine with a new bottle of Blue Cheese dressing, Marie's.
It's so cold I feel like tomato soup from Panera bread.

lizzie lizzie How do you make the bacon and tomato salad dressing?
muffy muffy Hope your mouth is healing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.