What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a dough poolish? :headscratch:
It's a wet mixture of some of the flour, water with a little yeast and sometimes a bit of salt. You let it sit for hours and "preferment" before mixing in the rest of the flour and any other ingredients to make the final dough.

It develops a deeper flavor and texture to the bread, and you use a lot less yeast.

It's still so warm here, that I popped mine in the fridge overnight, and pulled it out this morning to sit a while before finishing the dough.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
orange&white orange&white Honey Wheat burger buns sound wonderful. I always liked playing around with a poolish or a biga. A lot of interesting choices! Several years ago, I baked my way through The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart and learned so much about using a poolish and biga. And baked some truly outstanding breads! I now have his Whole Grain Breads book and would like to start baking my way through that. I am a big Reinhart fan. (He was up at King Arthur a couple years ago, teaching bread classes, but we couldn't go up at that time. I'd love to take a class with him.)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reinhart sure is one of the "kings" of dough and bread making. I wouldn't mind taking a class with him myself!

This burger bun recipe didn't call for a poolish and this is the first time I decided to try them with a preferment. They're great with the "straight-through" start to finish in a few hours method, so we'll see if there's any difference from starting the dough with an overnight poolish.

All homemade breads are so much better than store-bought, but I have found even more of a preference in taste and texture if I give the dough a lot of time to develop.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
orange&white orange&white Oh my, they really do look yummy!

Those pork chops that we were going to have last night? We were outside and lost all track of time. And we had to get cleaned up and visit with Rick's mother. We each had a Lean Cuisine meal with a really quick salad.

So the pork chops will be tonight's dinner instead.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white Oh my, they really do look yummy!

Those pork chops that we were going to have last night? We were outside and lost all track of time. And we had to get cleaned up and visit with Rick's mother. We each had a Lean Cuisine meal with a really quick salad.

So the pork chops will be tonight's dinner instead.
I did a similar thing...got the burger buns made yesterday, but not the burgers. Ended up eating the last of the pasta casserole last night (and fresh brownies).

Today after work I made the cheeseburger and oven fries:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Yes! Me, too! Don't forget me!!

Chicken thighs were on sale at the grocery for $ .88 a pound, so I bought a family pack, divvied them up and threw them into the freezer. I kept two out for dinner tonight.

Grilled chicken thighs drizzled with balsamic vinegar with grilled potato slices (done on the indoor grill) and a chopped salad.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, all are welcome - maybe we can rent a van. :wink:

orange&white orange&white what can we bring for dessert?
No worries about bringing dessert...I made brownies and have ice cream. I'm just going to need a bigger house....or at least a larger table and more chairs. :)

Tonight I'm planning burger and onion deep dish pizza.

Y'all just bring an empty cast iron skillet, so we can bake more than one pizza at a time. :p

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm fine with sitting on the floor but I guess that would mean your cats all over me trying to get some yummy food :kneading:

Chicken thighs were on sale at the grocery for $ .88 a pound, so I bought a family pack, divvied them up and threw them into the freezer. I kept two out for dinner tonight.
Are those bone in thighs? That's a good price. They're usually $0.99 / lb when on sale at the supermarket. I think I got a pack for less than that once.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fine with sitting on the floor but I guess that would mean your cats all over me trying to get some yummy food :kneading:

Are those bone in thighs? That's a good price. They're usually $0.99 / lb when on sale at the supermarket. I think I got a pack for less than that once.
Three cats...and one very rambunctious Corgi. :)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Yes, they are bone-in thighs. I like them for more flavor than boneless. And I was wrong about glazing them with balsamic vinegar; I meant to say that I was glazing them with boiled cider (from King Arthur). And sauteing some apple slices. Apple season is here and I'm taking full advantage. I put chunked-up Grannies in my stuffing last night, too.

orange&white orange&white I have two large cast iron pans, already seasoned, that I'll bring with me. We can use them for pizza, too. Oh, I'll bring some lawn chairs, too! See, it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.