What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're thinking, since fall weather has arrived, that a big old pot of beef stew with home made broth would be a good thing, too, to share.
We have 1/2 steer coming our way to fill the freezer so beef dishes that are simple, comforting and well liked by 99% of people are welcome from anyone in this thread.
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 My MIL's cousin used to give her a humongous garbage bag of beef bones whenever they butchered. She used them for broth. One year, she decided she wasn't dealing with the bones and gave them to me. I roasted them with carrots, onions, celery, etc and made several quarts of lovely beef broth for the freezer. Since then, I get the bones!:yess: I pay them back with a couple batches of cookies, sometimes some loaves of bread, a pie or two, whatever I bake. It works.

A big beef favorite around here is pot pie. The beef is simmered in a Dutch oven with potatoes and onions. The dough is rolled out, cut into squares and dropped into the simmering beef and broth. Rick could eat a whole kettle of pot pie. And when our kids are coming up and I ask them what they want for dinner, it's always beef pot pie.

For other ideas:

Recipes - Soups, Stews, And Sauces
Recipes - Main Dishes And Entrees - Meat

Tonight will just be leftover ziti. Rick has a union meeting and he's bowling right after that. He'll have just enough time to get home from his meeting, grab a quick shower, grab supper, and take off again. I can nuke a plate in the microwave while he's getting dressed.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lazy Friday night dinner. Boiled some pasta, stirred in jarred Mushroom/Onion pasta sauce, topped with about 1/2" of 3 cheeses, pepperoni and baked.

Next time I think I'll stir some extra cheese into the sauce/pasta and use more sauce. Still, quick, easy and filling.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lazy Friday night dinner. Boiled some pasta, stirred in jarred Mushroom/Onion pasta sauce, topped with about 1/2" of 3 cheeses, pepperoni and baked.

Next time I think I'll stir some extra cheese into the sauce/pasta and use more sauce. Still, quick, easy and filling.
That looks yummy! Well, until I realized the slices of tomato were actually pepperoni. :hmmm: But super easy to vegetarian-ize. :biggrin:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took two pork chops out of the freezer yesterday. Not sure how I'll make them, but am thinking of making a small bit of stuffing with apples and pecans. Throw the stuffing into a sprayed casserole, put the browned chops on the stuffing, cover and bake. A simple chopped salad.

I made a cinnamon coffee/crumb cake from my sourdough discards yesterday. The taste is fine, but man, that cake is dry. Several reviewers mentioned that theirs got really dry, too, so I tried to be careful to bake it not even as long as what the recipe said. Still, it got dry. Rick didn't care; he always has his cake with milk anyway, so he said not to worry. But ick, really dry cake. I opened a jar of peaches, spooned the drained peaches over the cake and topped it off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. (I hate throwing away my sourdough discards when I feed, so am always looking for ways to use it up. I should have used my first thought, which was to make a batch of sourdough waffles and tuck them into the freezer.)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like peaches and ice cream was the perfect "fix" for cinnamon bread that was a little too dry. :yummy:

I started a dough poolish last night for honey-wheat burger buns, so I'm making a hamburger for dinner tonight and extras for the work week.

Status
Not open for further replies.