Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What's For Dinner? - 2018

Discussion in 'Foodie's Corner' started by Winchester, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Winchester

Winchester Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Yesterday, I made a quick loaf of a batter bread (no knead) in a round 8-inch cake pan. Rick sliced it horizontally and then we filled it with lettuce, tomatoes, all kinds of deli meats (roast beef, hard salami, turkey, and some roasted ham), and some slices of baby Swiss and Cajun Cheddar from our local cheesemaker. I wrapped it in foil and then baked it about 20 minutes, long enough for the cheeses to really melt. We call it the Big Sandwich and it's delicious. It's been part of our New Year's Eve thing since our son was a child; whenever we were home on NYE, the Big Sandwich was part of dinner. So that, along with crab-stuffed mushrooms and wings done in the air fryer, was our dinner and munchies last night. Dessert for Rick was still more cheesecake and some cookies. And yes, we ate in bed while watching movies. (Bed is already stripped down and I put fresh sheets on)

So today, I threw a small pork roast in the crock pot with the canned sauerkraut given to us by our BIL. We'll have it over mashed potatoes. Supper will be leftovers from yesterday. I'd like to have the fridge cleaned out by tonight. Tomorrow is a new day and a new year!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
    muffy and Dreger purraised this.

2. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 29, 2014
    USA

3. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Well, it was going to be left over pizza, but somehow my "light sauce" was a "no sauce," so I have a pizza to throw out with just two slices gone. The good news is I have a credit with Pizza Hut, so I'll order another one next weekend...via PHONE, not COMPUTER! Tonight? Crud. Tuna salad. Or...maybe Rahmen noodles. That actually sounds good right now.

Dreger and muffy purraised this.

4. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    I took the rest of the ham and bean soup out of the freezer last night. We'll have it with some whole wheat apple muffins.

5. Mamanyt1953

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    SO...last night I used my credit, and will eat the leftovers tonight.

Dreger and artiemom purraised this.

6. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    I took some turkey kielbasa out of the freezer last night. Not sure what I'm doing with it though.

Dreger purraised this.

7. AbbysMom

AbbysMom At Abby's beck and call Staff Member Moderator

May 18, 2005
    Massachusetts
    We'll be snowed in today. I have two different soups I made in the freezer and the fixings for chicken fajitas, so we'll see what we end up with.

Dreger, muffy and blueyedgirl5946 purraised this.

8. blueyedgirl5946

blueyedgirl5946 TCS Member Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    We are snowed in too. Soup would be nice, but I don't have any cooked. The bottom shelf of the refrigerator is full of leftovers. I have fried shrimp, coleslaw, the last of the black eyed peas and ham, four slices of fried venison cube steak.
    I am sure whatever we have tonight will include some of this.

Dreger purraised this.

9. Mamanyt1953

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    Rahmen noodles, chicken flavor, with bits of chicken and the last handful of some frozen mixed veggies thrown in just for fun.

Dreger purraised this.

10. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    I love Rahmen noodles.
    I went to Cracker Barrel with a friend last night. I had a salad, mac & cheese and fried apples and they served corn muffins with the meal. Then I had the nerve to order a take out order of pan cakes so I can have them for breakfast this morning. I have to stop eating like this.

Dreger and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.

11. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    i'll heat up (more) cabbage roll casserole, a slice of bread with margarine and some pineapple preserves, and a cherry nanaimo bar.

12. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Maple BBQ chops with a baked sweet potato that Rick and I will share. I'm thinking green beans to go with.

13. blueyedgirl5946

blueyedgirl5946 TCS Member Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    We will have the last of the black eye peas and ham with some fried corn bread. I have a head of broccoli that I might fix so we can have a small bowl of that as a side vegetable. Comfort food. We have been eating it all week because we are snowed in and the side roads are still icy.

14. Mamanyt1953

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    WHY DO I KEEP TORMENTING MYSELF WITH THIS THREAD???? I come here every day and just drool! Probably for the same reason that I watch "Carnival Eats." Sheer masochism.

Tonight is spaghetti. Or tomato stew. I'm thawing beef and preparing to make another huge pot of pasta sauce, so I'll do something with it while it is fresh and hot!

Dreger and neely purraised this.

15. LTS3

LTS3 TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 29, 2014
    USA
    Leftover buttery garlic herb chicken. It came out just ok. Tomorrow is the last leftovers but I'm going to make up a pot of basically a grown up version of Spaghetti-Os to have for Sunday's lunch and dinner. I'm using frozen meatballs insead of making my own.

Dreger purraised this.

16. neely

neely TCS Member Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    Since the arctic freeze is still here and won't leave I did a big grocery shopping this week at not one, not two but three stores. I made a pasta casserole tonight with 2 different sauces and 3 types of cheese. We should have plenty of leftovers.;)

Dreger, Mamanyt1953 and muffy purraised this.

17. micknsnicks2mom

micknsnicks2mom TCS Member Top Cat

Feb 15, 2014
    ...with the cats...
    i might bake some Buttery Soft Dinner Rolls today -- might as well use the range oven, will add a little more warmth in the kitchen. and thaw some indoor pulled pork, to make pulled pork sandwiches. potato salad to go with it, and a cherry nanaimo bar for dessert. but we'll see...

if not that, then a grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup -- and the same dessert.

18. Winchester

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Delivery pizza.

Dreger, neely and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.

19. rubysmama

rubysmama Forum Helper Staff Member Forum Helper

Nov 25, 2013
    Canada
    I've got some vegetarian pasta sauce cooking in the slow cooker. Just need to decide which type of pasta to have with it.

Dreger, neely and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.

20. muffy

muffy TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 9, 2014
    Maryland
    That sounds delicious.

Dreger, rubysmama and Mamanyt1953 purraised this.