What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Steak, you all know me, blah blah blah.

The serious problem is we didn't thaw ANY animal food today and only realized this 30 minutes ago and it's in the sink thawing. It will be late. The dogs don't seem aware but the cats are tip toeing all over, stalking each other, slapping one another and letting out disgusted "MAAAAP" sounds whenever another cat moves. It's like they know......
If I don't come back assume I was taken down like a wounded gazelle by a pack of hungry lionesses and devoured alive for my lack of planning =(

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long afternoon in the kitchen with a hot oven, but I shouldn't have to cook for at least a week...especially if I pick up salad fixin's.

So this post is What's for Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners for the week!

Started with two bread loaf pans of breakfast casserole (Leftover cornbread stuffing, with lots of eggs, cheese and sausage):

Next up were the Calzones:

Then pizza with "everything" I had in the kitchen:

...and while the pizza baked, I blistered some Hatch chile peppers for winter stews, beans, and chili.

Phew! Pretty much everything required a different baking temp. Not being able to stick everything in the oven at one time made it a long day!

Out of all that, the only thing I actually ate was one of the calzones...

Anyway...after a night in the fridge, everything gets wrapped in individual foil servings and frozen for quick 'n easy toaster meals.

Failure to report the next few days does not mean I've been eaten by hangry cats. :p

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long afternoon in the kitchen with a hot oven, but I shouldn't have to cook for at least a week...especially if I pick up salad fixin's.

So this post is What's for Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners for the week!

Started with two bread loaf pans of breakfast casserole (Leftover cornbread stuffing, with lots of eggs, cheese and sausage):

Next up were the Calzones:

Then pizza with "everything" I had in the kitchen:

...and while the pizza baked, I blistered some Hatch chile peppers for winter stews, beans, and chili.

Phew! Pretty much everything required a different baking temp. Not being able to stick everything in the oven at one time made it a long day!

Out of all that, the only thing I actually ate was one of the calzones...

Anyway...after a night in the fridge, everything gets wrapped in individual foil servings and frozen for quick 'n easy toaster meals.

Failure to report the next few days does not mean I've been eaten by hangry cats. :p
If you hear someone knocking at your door later on, don't worry...it'll just be little ol' me, hanging around your back stoop with a knife and fork sticking out of my shirt pocket.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white ---Amazing. You really outdid yourself this time. How do you heat the leftovers up, in the toaster oven? What temp? I don't really like microwaved food.
Completely off topic but we were watching some of those game show fails a few nights ago and the Wheel of Fortune answer was "Wood burning fireplace" and some lady tried to solve it with "Wood burning microwave."
I will never view a microwave the same.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you hear someone knocking at your door later on, don't worry...it'll just be little ol' me, hanging around your back stoop with a knife and fork sticking out of my shirt pocket.
I will be more than happy to trade you three of my calzones for just one of your steaks!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your choice! I'll be a happy camper with either. It's been a long time since I had steak in the budget. :yummy:
We do get a bit of a discount! =)
Also, we did feed the cats and dogs. The little quick one usually finishes with a gulp and inspects the bowl for particles she may have missed, but tonight she finished with her gulp, stared at me as if to say "you're dead" and now I'm wondering if I'll wake up to a face without eyeballs or a turd in my boots. =(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like microwaves either....ruins the texture of breads and meats. 350 degrees in a toaster oven works for reheating most foods.
I lived with nothing but a toaster oven thing for years when I was a young thing, along with a single burner plug-in cook top. I reheated many a-foods in that thing and was always happy with it's performance.
I baked myself a lot of cookies in that toaster oven, too. Donating it killed a part of my soul, we had a history, that thing and I but we just didn't have the room for it =/

When we re-heat foods in our regular oven, depending on the food, we aim for low and long (low temps, long time) so the food is reheated thorough.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We toast them in a clean non oiled skillet for about 10-20 seconds per side, and it seems to do the trick.
We usually use beef but sometimes use chicken, almost always seasoned heavily.

I'll give that a try tonight. A lot of web sites say to just toast a tortilla over a gas burner or on a grill and give no alternative. I don't have either. I wish web sites would stop assuming that everyone has a gas stove or grill:angrywoman:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most conversations between families when inquiring about dinner:
(Cook): "Hello, family, what would you all like for dinner tonight?"
(Random family member) "Oh, anything."
(Cook)"How about burgers and corn on the cob?"
(Random family member) "Sounds delicious!"

OUR conversation:
(Spouse)"Eggs?"
(Me) "Yep."
(Spouse) "Bacon?"
(Me) "Mm-hmm."
(Spouse) "7:00?"
(Me) "OK then. Hash, too?"
(Spouse) "Sounds good".

We're not fighting or mad, we just talk weird sometimes. It's like shorthand, LOL

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll give that a try tonight. A lot of web sites say to just toast a tortilla over a gas burner or on a grill and give no alternative. I don't have either. I wish web sites would stop assuming that everyone has a gas stove or grill:angrywoman:
I know =(
I also hate it when recipes call for super weird ingredients but give no real indication of a suitable substitute, or if omitting it all together will make your recipe blow up or something.
How the heck does someone go about getting something weird that most people don't keep in stock at 2:00AM if they're having an insomnia driven cooking binge and the only store that carries exotic ingredients is 3 hours away? I don't keep cream of tartar or pate or canned tadpoles or anything weird to me in the house...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 --Tell your family I like them. I like weird people. It's always entertaining to read your posts. :lol:

Taco Salad for dinner. It's not really pretty enough to take a pic of. The fam. likes the veggies raw. I would rather have the entire thing baked. I guess I will have to make my own. :)

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pan toasted tortilla suggestion worked :D The tortillas kind of puffed up while toasting but that's ok. The toasted tortillas held up much better with the meat filling inside:agree: The filling still oozed out the open end but I took someone's suggestion ( orange&white orange&white ? 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ? ) of using the second tortilla as a "plate" to catch the filling and sauce:D

Status
Not open for further replies.