OUR conversation:
(Spouse)"Eggs?"
(Me) "Yep."
(Spouse) "Bacon?"
(Me) "Mm-hmm."
(Spouse) "7:00?"
(Me) "OK then. Hash, too?"
(Spouse) "Sounds good".

We're not fighting or mad, we just talk weird sometimes. It's like shorthand, LOL
In our house
Me: What do you want for dinner?
Rick: I don't know. What do you want?
Me: Don't answer a question with a question. What do you want?
Rick: Did I?
Me: You snot.
Rick: Sorry. Couldn't help it.
Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR DINNER?
Rick: Surprise me.

One of these days I'll surprise the man, all right. He will get nothing for dinner.

Oh, and cream of tartar is not weird! I use it quite often: snickerdoodles, meringues and other egg products, some frostings and icings, etc. Then again, when somebody in the family needs a spice or herb, I get the phone call. One morning, we were going down to visit with the kids and were staying for dinner. Our son called to ask me to bring the tarragon along. Rick answered the phone and asked, "How do you know she has tarragon?" Our son responded with, "Seriously, Dad? This is mom we're talking about. Why wouldn't she have tarragon?!" And I did; I use it to season asparagus and leeks.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our house
Me: What do you want for dinner?
Rick: I don't know. What do you want?
Me: Don't answer a question with a question. What do you want?
Rick: Did I?
Me: You snot.
Rick: Sorry. Couldn't help it.
Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR DINNER?
Rick: Surprise me.

One of these days I'll surprise the man, all right. He will get nothing for dinner.

Oh, and cream of tartar is not weird! I use it quite often: snickerdoodles, meringues and other egg products, some frostings and icings, etc. Then again, when somebody in the family needs a spice or herb, I get the phone call. One morning, we were going down to visit with the kids and were staying for dinner. Our son called to ask me to bring the tarragon along. Rick answered the phone and asked, "How do you know she has tarragon?" Our son responded with, "Seriously, Dad? This is mom we're talking about. Why wouldn't she have tarragon?!" And I did; I use it to season asparagus and leeks.
I'm laughing because that conversation is so familiar...
Next time he says..."what are you making me for dinner?", say "I'm making you Mad" and walk off =D
(Spouse did this a few years ago, I thought it was pretty darned funny! But it was jokingly of course.)

I have used cream of tartar before, and other stuff, but I don't usually keep it on hand. If we need it, we throw it on the shopping list and buy it and put that recipe off for a bit because so much of this kind of stuff goes bad before we can use even a fraction of it =(
One of our closer neighbors is an herb person. Asked one day if they had basil and they were like "oh, we do!" and 2 seconds later they're at our door with a bag of fresh picked basil and a ton of lettuce/green leaves and carrots as a side gift. (They won't accept payment, but accept food, so we share, they share, all is good, it's even.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pan toasted tortilla suggestion worked :D The tortillas kind of puffed up while toasting but that's ok. The toasted tortillas held up much better with the meat filling inside:agree: The filling still oozed out the open end but I took someone's suggestion ( orange&white orange&white ? 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ? ) of using the second tortilla as a "plate" to catch the filling and sauce:D
Puffing a little is good!!! That's actually what I aim for.
Puffing huge bubbles that resemble balloons and blowing up and leaving your tortilla a charred wad of smoldering ash is bad! It's what I *don't* aim for! =D
I think the "pooping tortilla catcher #2" thing was my idea, but orange&white orange&white may have mentioned it too. I heard about and it and thought it was a wise guy on the internet cracking a joke, but I tried it and....wow, it actually works.

We're talking about making pot pies and freezing them for the winter for personal use only.
12 freezer pies may become 1200 freezer pies because I know how we are, so by spring I might be on here just posting the words "pot pie" over and over again, so please don't kill me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mmmmm pot pies. :yummy: 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 Let me know when. I'll be there. Heck, I'll even help you make them!

One of our neighbors cleaned our driveway for us during a snowstorm last year. Rick took the money up to pay him and he also took along a dozen cookies that I had made. A couple weeks later, the guy saw Rick outside shoveling and came down to talk to him about something. He said he really wished it would snow. Rick looked at him and asked, "Why on earth do you want it to snow?" He said it was so that he could clean out our driveway.....and take some cookies home. Rick started laughing and told him to come into the house because I was baking. He and Rick sat down at the table and started munching down on cookies and coffee.

I'm taking a vacation day today. Meat loaf is on the menu. Cheese-scalloped potatoes and carrots. And some coleslaw. I'm making fresh peach iced tea. And peach cobbler for dessert. (I swear I never want to see another peach again. Or until next year, anyway.)

I was talking to a co-worker who spent the weekend at a peach festival. He and his wife were rather disappointed. They each bought a serving of peach cobbler at the festival, which turned out to be some peaches on top of a vanilla-type cake. He said it was good, but it wasn't peach cobbler. I agreed. To us, peach cobbler is peaches and peaches and more peaches on the bottom of the pan with some biscuit-type or shortcake-type topping. Not cake with a few peaches. Some people do put the topping in the pan first and then cover it with the peaches. And either way, a good vanilla bean ice cream tops it off perfectly. Or freshly whipped cream. Or both. :paperbag:

What do you consider peach cobbler to be? Cake and peaches? Peaches with biscuit-type topping? Neither? Tell!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I don't come back assume I was taken down like a wounded gazelle by a pack of hungry lionesses and devoured alive for my lack of planning =(
OK...time for a story, just because you mentioned gazelles and lions. This is what my grandmother told me.

When the sun comes up on the African Veldt, the Lioness know she must outrun the slowest gazelle or starve. When the sun comes up on the African Veldt, the Gazelle knows she must outrun the fastest lion or be eaten. EITHER WAY, when the sun comes up on the African Veldt, you better get your fanny in gear!

tonight she finished with her gulp, stared at me as if to say "you're dead" and now I'm wondering if I'll wake up to a face without eyeballs or a turd in my boots. =(
Or your eyeballs in your boots...but you could see where you were walking!

I don't keep cream of tartar or pate or canned tadpoles or anything weird to me in the house...
WHAT!!! Canned tadpoles are a STAPLE! How can you NOT HAVE CANNED TADPOLES!!!

OK...I'm being fancy tonight. I was given a couple of cornish game hens, pretty little things. Cadged a ride to the store from a neighbor and picked up a bag of dried apricots and a jar of apricot preserves. I have some lovely wild rice on hand. I'm making baked hens stuffed with wild rice and dried apricots with an apricot glaze. Well...one won't get the glaze. Hekitty isn't fond of apricots.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK...time for a story, just because you mentioned gazelles and lions. This is what my grandmother told me.

When the sun comes up on the African Veldt, the Lioness know she must outrun the slowest gazelle or starve. When the sun comes up on the African Veldt, the Gazelle knows she must outrun the fastest lion or be eaten. EITHER WAY, when the sun comes up on the African Veldt, you better get your fanny in gear!

Or your eyeballs in your boots...but you could see where you were walking!

WHAT!!! Canned tadpoles are a STAPLE! How can you NOT HAVE CANNED TADPOLES!!!

OK...I'm being fancy tonight. I was given a couple of cornish game hens, pretty little things. Cadged a ride to the store from a neighbor and picked up a bag of dried apricots and a jar of apricot preserves. I have some lovely wild rice on hand. I'm making baked hens stuffed with wild rice and dried apricots with an apricot glaze. Well...one won't get the glaze. Hekitty isn't fond of apricots.
You're Grandmother was right! I had a dream I was chased by a tiger and it bit my hand, I was like "I can't do anything if my hand is gone" and the tiger ran off, my hand was fine and then my teeth fell out.
Eyeballs in my boots, LOL. I should get some of those old fashioned gumballs that look like bloody eyeballs and try it out!
And canned tadpoles, we prefer them freeze dried. Easier to store :flail:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The game hens were to die for. Hekitty ate about two bites of hers...she isn't big on People Food (with the serious exception of raspberry sherbet), so I kinda retroglazed that one for tonight.
I haven't had a game hen in forever.
That needs to change.

Tonight I don't know what spouse has in mind but I'm doing something light. See, I found leftover spaghetti and it was enough that splitting it into two meals was piddly crap and having one meal was more than I needed, but I had one meal anyway, and went into a pasta coma and am still not all that hungry. Maybe that'll change in a few hours.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love Cornish hens. Rick is not a fan of poultry, so usually when he's away, I will treat myself (and the girls) to a hen, done in the air fryer. When I'm eating alone, Molli, Tabby, and Muffin are on the table, staring at every move I make. Amber and Pepe are on the floor on my side of my chair; The Beast is on the other side. They are real poultry lovers. I feed one, grab a bite for myself, feed another, grab another bite, feed another, and so on. Til they've all had some, it's time to start another round. Then The Beast walks around my chair and cleans everything up.

Rick and I are each on our own for dinner tonight. He has a dentist appointment this afternoon and I have a hair appointment and I won't get back home until after 7:00. I may make a quick sandwich or throw together a salad.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to post my dinner last night. It was one of the best burgers I've ever had. It was from Burger King.

I bet orange&white orange&white could have whipped up one of these herself. What is green chili aioli? It sure was good. It was loaded with jalapenos.

Here's the ingredients:
Jalapeno King Sandwich: two flamed–grilled beef patties, smoked bacon, pepper jack cheese, spicy jalapenos, and a creamy green chili aioli on toasted sesame seed bun

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is green chili aioli? It sure was good.
It's a mayonnaise made with garlic and usually olive oil instead of a neutral oil...sometimes with other ingredients (like green chili). That burger sounds good!

I'm still working on calzone and pizza dinners. Haven't cooked anything since the weekend.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
In honor of Artie's 3 month anniversary, I bought some flowers at TJ's~~ Artie used to chomp on flowers, until I saw him do so; went for an ice cream; had some cheese and Crackers~~ Artie loved, loved, loved, Cheese; lit a candle, and having a Vodka & Tonic.... and crying... I miss him so much...
thanks for listening...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In honor of Artie's 3 month anniversary, I bought some flowers at TJ's~~ Artie used to chomp on flowers, until I saw him do so; went for an ice cream; had some cheese and Crackers~~ Artie loved, loved, loved, Cheese; lit a candle, and having a Vodka & Tonic.... and crying... I miss him so much...
thanks for listening...
:grouphug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.