What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was loud, dramatic, and the only bloodshed was his and the only options are fixing this, separation (what kind of life is that) or euthanasia which I refuse....So my mood is crap. =(
That's a real sucky situation to be in. I'm sorry to hear that.

My oldest came down with strep and wants Taco Bell. So that's dinner tonight. Gotta get the sick kid what he wants.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a real sucky situation to be in. I'm sorry to hear that.

My oldest came down with strep and wants Taco Bell. So that's dinner tonight. Gotta get the sick kid what he wants.
Sorry about your kid, hope the Taco Bell pacifies him! I like their cheese and chicken chalupas...yum!
I separated the cat brats and are feeding them separately. This didn't happen when food was around but I'm wondering if food competition creates more tension between them.
I think tonight will be beans, bacon and burgers. We're uninspired lately.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh he'll be fine. The "kid" is 21 and just thinks soft tacos are all his throat will handle. Thanks, though.

I think you're probably right about the food competition, Worth a shot to try.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! I teach PreK for a living. I have been 5 yrs old for about 30 years now. I am officially Peter Pan.
I'm sure there are days when you're ready to pull your hair out or buy the guy that owns asprin his own yaht...
but pre-K kids are just so danged cute. Real life hasn't screwed them out of their honesty (they say what they think) or their zest for everything yet. 4-5 year olds are just so fun to be around.
And what's fun is seeing the difference in noticing someone that's 21 or a similar age and their reactions. At my age, I see 21 and think "whatever, legally you're an adult but you're still a kid." At 4-5 years, I thought 21 year olds lived in retirement homes because they were O-L-D. =D
To keep it on topic, my favorite meal at pre-K was always PB&J, chocolate pudding, and milk. Whenever we had pizza I was happy but if anything remotely healthy was served I was the kid giving you that headache...

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh! You're THAT kid! :lol:. The one I have to read "A Bad Case of Stripes" to just to get you to try one lima bean. Sorry to tell you this, but PBJ has been off the menu (along with all the other peanut products) for years now. Too risky. As for the pudding? Gone. We aren't even allowed cookies. We do have some hummus and celery if you're interested :tongue: I have a feeling you would have gone on a hunger strike in my room. Don't get me wrong, we really do eat well but it is all healthy food now. All of it.

As for pulling my hair out...only adults make me feel that way from time to time. It is really rare for me to feel that way about any of my kids. Worried, disappointed, but rarely frustrated. I do have a pair of socks with Raja and Mizu's faces on them. They're love seeing new pictures of them and I can't tell you how many Raja/Mizu paintings and sculptures I have.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! You're THAT kid! :lol:. The one I have to read "A Bad Case of Stripes" to just to get you to try one lima bean. Sorry to tell you this, but PBJ has been off the menu (along with all the other peanut products) for years now. Too risky. As for the pudding? Gone. We aren't even allowed cookies. We do have some hummus and celery if you're interested :tongue: I have a feeling you would have gone on a hunger strike in my room. Don't get me wrong, we really do eat well but it is all healthy food now. All of it.

As for pulling my hair out...only adults make me feel that way from time to time. It is really rare for me to feel that way about any of my kids. Worried, disappointed, but rarely frustrated. I do have a pair of socks with Raja and Mizu's faces on them. They're love seeing new pictures of them and I can't tell you how many Raja/Mizu paintings and sculptures I have.
So understood! The food allergy thing is getting scary with the peanuts and whatever.
I appreciate your dedication to these kids and keeping them well and happy. It was a job decades ago but today it's a HUGE job and I get that feeling that the adults you refer to are parents that aren't happy with ANYTHING..
We've baby sat some kids (childless couple here...) that are related or neighbor kids and we just love it. Kids are so cool.
I think of my teen years and think how fun they were but no way would I want to repeat them in today's world. Stuff that was viewed as funny stupidity then, would today have us throw in jail. I don't envy kids today, they are sheltered in a way but have it WAY tougher than we ever did.
I love the fact that kids are doing Raja and Mizu paintings and artwork. There's no greater love.
I had a pre-K teacher I adored to pieces. I just absolutely loved her. She was that "one" that would seek out the kid that needed some random special attention and do it. I saw her again 10 years later, recognized her immediately and momentarily freaked her out because I THREW myself at her in hugs.
A few years later, she died. I still think of her a lot.
That was decades ago and I cannot think of that amazingly kind woman without getting a tear in my eye.
Also, (keepin' it food related!) it was her that calmly told me, after throwing red jello at some random kid, that sometimes people (in that pre-K I was at) didn't clean enough and that 30 years later that red jell-o might turn green. God I still laugh at that..

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get that feeling that the adults you refer to are parents that aren't happy with ANYTHING..
Lord....um, yes. It's not so much that they aren't happy, that's usually not the problem. They. can't. follow. rules. Which creates children who, you guessed it, don't think they have to follow rules either. Even worse, when we bring it up it doesn't concern them at all. I had a parent teacher conference this year and the child was crawling over his parent to reach the top of a bookshelf and I was waiting to see how long it would take for her to react...to respond...to redirect...to do ANYTHING. She never did. Eventually I pointed it out to her and it was as if she didn't realize it. She picked him up (kind of like a cat) and set him down. He started the whole thing over again. He's four.

It makes me so happy to hear connections like the one you had with your teacher. That's what the job is about. I'm old enough (sighs...) to have been doing this long enough that my first few classes are old enough to have children of their own. I keep in touch with so many of them and I cry when they tell me what their memories are. I taught K for about 8 years and they remember some of the most minute things...like the jello story. It's never the big events that they recall. I had one little girl, super bright, move in December of one year. She was moving from NY to Florida. We did a whole unit on animals in Florida just for her and she still remembers it to this day.

Yikes...never get me talking about my job! LOL I'm long-winded!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lord....um, yes. It's not so much that they aren't happy, that's usually not the problem. They. can't. follow. rules. Which creates children who, you guessed it, don't think they have to follow rules either. Even worse, when we bring it up it doesn't concern them at all. I had a parent teacher conference this year and the child was crawling over his parent to reach the top of a bookshelf and I was waiting to see how long it would take for her to react...to respond...to redirect...to do ANYTHING. She never did. Eventually I pointed it out to her and it was as if she didn't realize it. She picked him up (kind of like a cat) and set him down. He started the whole thing over again. He's four.

It makes me so happy to hear connections like the one you had with your teacher. That's what the job is about. I'm old enough (sighs...) to have been doing this long enough that my first few classes are old enough to have children of their own. I keep in touch with so many of them and I cry when they tell me what their memories are. I taught K for about 8 years and they remember some of the most minute things...like the jello story. It's never the big events that they recall. I had one little girl, super bright, move in December of one year. She was moving from NY to Florida. We did a whole unit on animals in Florida just for her and she still remembers it to this day.

Yikes...never get me talking about my job! LOL I'm long-winded!
If you think you're long winded...I assume you've never read my posts here. =)
You're doing good work. Parents today (in general) are not a subject you want this old fart getting going on....

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Mamanyt1953 -- both those variations of meatloaf sound great to me! :yummy: i love meatloaf. :redheartpump:

i usually bake five loaf pans of meatloaf at a time (in one oven cycle), and then freeze them in half meatloaf chunks -- when thawed, i use them for meatloaf sandwiches. i've found that adding an extra (large) egg to the meatloaf mixture helps it to stay...more firm/less crumbly, especially since i know i'll freeze them.

i'll heat up a(nother) serving of Mexican Chicken Hash (that's what the recipe is called), some pickled green beans with a little blue cheese salad dressing, and a slice of banana bread with a little margarine spead over it for dessert -- later in the evening. :D

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 Have things calmed down? Are you doing better?

Last night, we had to take The Beast to the vet tech for a booster vaccine. We decided to have dinner when we got back home. But when we eventually got home, I didn't feel like cooking or eating (which is almost unheard of, I mean, I eat anything at any time). Rick had a couple Lean Cuisine pizzas. I went with nothing.

Chicken thighs tonight. Done in the oven with some peach halves and home made biscuits. Hasselback potatoes, since I'm going to have the oven on anyway. And I'm thinking of glazed carrots.

Peach pie and vanilla bean ice cream for dessert.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.