What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked later than planned, then shopped. By the time I got home, I didn't feel like cooking. It's too darned hot and I was hangry!

I pulled some pre-cooked rotini out of the freezer, steam-defrosted with a little water and butter, then dumped in half a jar of pasta sauce. Topped with mozzarella and parm. Well. It was quick.

Originally I had planned on pork chops with cornbread and apple stuffing plus a veggie...but that'll wait 'til tomorrow or Thursday.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I was going to have The Spouse grill brats, but the smoke is so bad now that I can’t see the houses on the hill across from our house. I’m sure we’ve moved from “unhealthy” to “very unhealthy,” both of which necessitate wearing an N95 mask. Luckily, I always keep pasta and sauce on hand...and I think I have some pulled pork in the freezer. Sigh. I really wanted brats from the grill.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 I have been known to spend the entire evening in the kitchen, testing this, doing that, messing around and the time flies by. Not so much when Rick is home, but when he goes away and I have trouble sleeping, the kitchen is a good place to be. And then I look out the window and see that it's getting light outside!

Hmmm dinner tonight. I think Rick can make whatever he wants and I shall have a simple salad, maybe with some tuna for protein. Right now, I'm not at all hungry. I didn't eat anything last night, though, so we'll see how I feel.
I did that a lot in my young years. Nothing to do, nothing on TV, so I'd put the radio on and start adding stuff together and cooking it to see what happened.
We stumbled on a cheese cracker recipe that is excellent, really good flavor and very filling (they're hard to over-eat), and the same dough can be baked thicker for some nice pizza crust/flat breads if you like them. We always made double or triple batches and handed them out to whomever thought they looked good.
We baked these one morning and one of our people we had working here kept yelling from down the hall..."YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME THOSE SMELL SO GOOD" so we sent them home with a big bag of them.

I searched and searched and I cannot. Find. The Recipe. I KNOW I put it in the box with all my grandmothers recipes. Recipes can only exist in my hand, on the counter top while in use, or in that box. There are no other places...but it's NOT. THERE. :bawling:
If I had it in my hand now, I'd never make the damn things again but since I CAN'T make them it's driving me insane.

For dinner, a very small (though filling/protein and fat with meat, olives, cheese and oils) salad.
We've been busting it and I haven't eaten enough to keep a bird alive in the last 72 hours and I think my stomach is now the size of a peanut. Maybe I'll slim down a bit!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I searched and searched and I cannot. Find. The Recipe. I KNOW I put it in the box with all my grandmothers recipes.
I always make a pound of pizza dough, use 12oz for the pizza and roll out 4oz for crunchy cheese bread twists. Left untwisted, they'd easily be crackers.

I roll the dough "cracker-thin", sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and grated parmesan (sometimes Italian herbs). Smash all the cheese and seasonings into the dough using a rolling pin. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter and twist. These could just be cut into squares for crackers.

I let these rise for a bit of softness inside and crunchy outside, but if you pop them in the oven without rising they're much more crispy.

I've also made these copy-cat cheddar Cheez-Its. They're delicious too...

Homemade Cheese Cracker Recipe ~ So Easy! | Divas Can Cook

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always make a pound of pizza dough, use 12oz for the pizza and roll out 4oz for crunchy cheese bread twists. Left untwisted, they'd easily be crackers.

I roll the dough "cracker-thin", sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and grated parmesan (sometimes Italian herbs). Smash all the cheese and seasonings into the dough using a rolling pin. Cut into strips with a pizza cutter and twist. These could just be cut into squares for crackers.

I let these rise for a bit of softness inside and crunchy outside, but if you pop them in the oven without rising they're much more crispy.

orange&white orange&white - These qualify for M maggiedemi 's description, "ugly foods." I'll bet they're delicious!

Hey - I finally have something to add to this thread; I just picked the first Lima Beans of the season, so tomorrow night, it's roast bird and fresh Lima Beans!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine ---What do you mean you "finally" have something to add to the thread? I thought you said you were a great cook? Something about crushed violets? Or something fancy like that. ;)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white - These qualify for M maggiedemi 's description, "ugly foods." I'll bet they're delicious!

Hey - I finally have something to add to this thread; I just picked the first Lima Beans of the season, so tomorrow night, it's roast bird and fresh Lima Beans!
Ok, so my twisting skills could use a little work. If I close my eyes, they taste consistent. :p

If you eat dinner, you have something to contribute to this thread every day. :) Fresh, garden grown lima beans sound delicious!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That recipe is very similar, but I remember eggs and a few other things going into them.
Paprika makes cheese crackers smell and taste amazing, but I may use this to make a knock off of what we used to make!
I never thought of doing twisty rolls. Great idea, thank you!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Tonight we're having salads with a grilled chicken breast.

But I'm making ham and bean soup tonight for tomorrow night's dinner. I found a nice, big ham bone in the freezer, leftover from our Easter dinner. Very well wrapped and then done up in the food saver. Rick loves ham and bean soup. I bought a bag of dried 16-bean for soup, threw some water on them and put them in the fridge to soak today. They'll be ready to simmer tonight. And Thursday night, dinner just has to be heated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white --I don't think your twisty things are ugly. They look like the breadsticks from Pizza Hut. I used to get 3 of those free everyday when I worked there years ago. :)
Last night I almost burnt the house down trying to caramelize my BBQ Beef sandwich. I put it under the broiler at 500 degrees and used Extra Virgin Olive Oil to coat the pan. I forgot that you're not supposed to use EVOO at high heat because of the smoke point. And the kitchen sure was filled with smoke. :eek2:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brats, buns, beans, broccoli. Say that fast three times!
You're having a Four-B dinner, not to be confused with having a Furby for dinner. Sounds yummy...the Four-B, not the Furby! :p

I heated enough pasta and sauce for 2 meals yesterday, but I still have a pork chop that needs cooking soon. After work, I'll have to decide how lazy I'm feeling.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had half of a giant veggie omelet for lunch. I saved the other half for dinner - asparagus, green pepper, onion, tomato and a bit of goat cheese.
~she swoons~ MAN that sounds good!

I love Butter Beans. Are those the same thing?
LOL, I see you are from upstate New York, which explains much. No, they are quite different. Lima beans are small and green, and to me are much sweeter than butter beans...but I love both of them, especially when fresh!

Tonight will be very uninspired. I'm thinking scrambled eggs and biscuits. I'm feeling "bakish."

Status
Not open for further replies.