What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daylight Savings Time change still has my internal clock messed up. I just put some meatballs in the oven for spaghetti and meatball lunch. It's after 2pm and it feels like noon.

While the oven's hot and I have marinara sauce going, I'll make a pizza for dinner tonight (and lunch and dinner tomorrow). Andouille sausage, bell pepper and onion pizza.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound good! I bet it would work well with chicken breasts, as well. I'll give it a try! Did you use skin-on, bone-in, or boneless, skinless?
I think it work work with breasts too! We used skin on bone in, but de-boned the meat first, we just left it in the oven at about 275 for a good 1h45m, let it rest for 15 minutes or so then seared. Totally good and we'll be making that one again!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a steak and 2 large sweet potatoes... It will either be the steak with half a sweet potato, or just the one large sweet potato..I wrap in aluminum foil and bake it.. delicious.. just butter, S&P.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick says he's hungry for a steak. I said that we can either go out for dinner or we can hit the butcher, grab a couple steaks and throw them on the grill. The choice is up to him.

Tonight we're having pot roast done in the crock pot. Very simple: beef, onion soup mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a cup of white wine. That's it. One of the very few times that I use a "cream of" anything soup. Rick loves it. Simple boiled parsleyed potatoes, some glazed carrots and peas. And a bit of coleslaw. No dessert; if he wants something sweet, he can munch on a beignet.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a big pan of Cajun seasoned rice with vegetables yesterday to freeze for side dishes. I'm pulling out some chicken thighs this morning to defrost. I'll cook a thigh and have a little of the rice that didn't go into the freezer.

Rice & veggies with Cajun seasoning:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight we're having pot roast done in the crock pot. Very simple: beef, onion soup mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a cup of white wine.
And I will be trying that! SO simple. I CAN DO THAT!

Tonight I'm having spaghetti. I ordered pizza Friday night and ate it all weekend.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a big pan of Cajun seasoned rice with vegetables yesterday to freeze for side dishes. I'm pulling out some chicken thighs this morning to defrost. I'll cook a thigh and have a little of the rice that didn't go into the freezer.

Rice & veggies with Cajun seasoning:
This looks outstanding!!!!!!!! What kinds of veggies do you use? What kind of seasoning?
That's my kinda food right there! =D

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This looks outstanding!!!!!!!! What kinds of veggies do you use? What kind of seasoning?
That's my kinda food right there! =D
My boss gave me a jar of Cajun Land "Creole" Seasoning. I'm not a fan of pre-mixed spice blends, but decided to try it on the rice. It's a nice mix as far as blends go.

I don't measure much and just throw "what's on hand" into dishes like that, but this is close:

1.5 cups long grain white rice
3 cups homemade chicken stock
8-10 oz green beans (I had frozen fresh previously)
4 carrots
a couple of thick slices of sweet onion
half a red bell pepper
leftover celery (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
2.5 tsp of the Cajun seasoning (it's 40% salt...so that equaled 1 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp other spices)

I heated the chicken stock with frozen green beans in a saucepan while I sautéed (in rendered pork fat) chopped carrots, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until a bit caramelized (3 quart frying pan), and tossed those into the stock.

In the hot frying pan, the dry rice was cooked to light golden and then I added the spices to the dry rice to get those flavors going. When the rice was lightly cooked, I stirred all the hot liquid and veggies in. It should be boiling hot when added. Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes then move off heat for 5-10 minutes (no peaky under lid),. Fluff with a fork.

I also had some already-cooked Andouille sausage (which was the whole reason I was thinking "Cajun") which I forgot to add. :doh: It got stirred in after-the-fact. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you can use Tony C's, Zantarrins (sp?), or any other Cajun spice blend. There are also homemade Cajun spice blend recipes on the internet (which would be my preference...but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth). My boss ordered 6 - 15oz jars of the Cajun Land brand because he loves that brand for whatever reason...then realized that it takes him over a year to use one jar. :crackup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boss gave me a jar of Cajun Land "Creole" Seasoning. I'm not a fan of pre-mixed spice blends, but decided to try it on the rice. It's a nice mix as far as blends go.

I don't measure much and just throw "what's on hand" into dishes like that, but this is close:

1.5 cups long grain white rice
3 cups homemade chicken stock
8-10 oz green beans (I had frozen fresh previously)
4 carrots
a couple of thick slices of sweet onion
half a red bell pepper
leftover celery (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
2.5 tsp of the Cajun seasoning (it's 40% salt...so that equaled 1 tsp salt and 1.5 tsp other spices)

I heated the chicken stock with frozen green beans in a saucepan while I sautéed (in rendered pork fat) chopped carrots, onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until a bit caramelized (3 quart frying pan), and tossed those into the stock.

In the hot frying pan, the dry rice was cooked to light golden and then I added the spices to the dry rice to get those flavors going. When the rice was lightly cooked, I stirred all the hot liquid and veggies in. It should be boiling hot when added. Lower heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes then move off heat for 5-10 minutes (no peaky under lid),. Fluff with a fork.

I also had some already-cooked Andouille sausage (which was the whole reason I was thinking "Cajun") which I forgot to add. :doh: It got stirred in after-the-fact. :rolleyes:
I am totally trying this. Thank you, so much!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you can use Tony C's, Zantarrins (sp?), or any other Cajun spice blend. There are also homemade Cajun spice blend recipes on the internet (which would be my preference...but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth). My boss ordered 6 - 15oz jars of the Cajun Land brand because he loves that brand for whatever reason...then realized that it takes him over a year to use one jar. :crackup:
I haven't used cajun spices in ages, so this recipe got me all worked up and all I want to do right this second is trash our kitchen to try it. I'm being restrained :p

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. You can add or delete any veggies you prefer and also whatever amounts you'd like. I remembered that I had a tiny bit of leftover canned diced tomatoes I threw in as well, but the amount was negligible...maybe only 6 or 8 small diced pieces. It's kind of a "clean out the refrigerator" type dish...whatever veggies you have will be good. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
orange&white orange&white That does look good! I make up my own version of Emeril's Bayou Blast that I could use in something like this. In fact, I think I'll run downstairs to the freezer, grab some chicken to thaw for BBQ chicken and use your recipe for the rice, scaled down for the two of us. I only have brown rice (but that will work out well) and I have some roasted red peppers that I can use in the rice, too. There's a bit of fresh broccoli in the veggie drawer. I may throw in some frozen peas, too....just because. Thanks!

So dinner tonight will be oven-BBQ chicken with orange&white's recipe for Cajun Rice Blast (I don't know what the actual name is :lol:).

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good name! Your home blend may have less salt than store premixes, so you could probably use more spice. That's my main gripe with the premixed seasoning blends; they fill the jar half-full with inexpensive table salt.

Broccoli will be yummy in the dish!

I have chicken thighs marinating in a vinegar/soy sauce and will pull some pre-cooked scalloped potatoes out to thaw. Tonight is chicken and potatoes. If I get to the grocery, I may add a salad or some green veggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.