What's For Dinner? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately I've been eating large late lunches and not much for dinner, but I'm making a grilled beef and cheese sandwich with leftover taco meat and some fresh potato bread.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
On Wednesday, we had turkey chili. I took some ground turkey from the freezer. I asked Rick what he felt like for dinner and he said, "Surprise me." OK. Turkey meatloaf, it is. Did not go over well. So I texted him in the morning and asked, "Meatloaf or chili?" And he replied, "Chili. Please make chili." So I made chili and we had it over brown rice. I don't mind turkey meatloaf, but he really doesn't care for it.

Tonight's dinner will be ravioli with pasta sauce from the freezer.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zucchini "noodles" with Romano cheese. I always wanted to try these as I love squash, so I purchased some zucchini pre-sliced in little spirals in the produce department. I sauteed them in olive oil after steaming them only a few seconds and I needed to work quickly to keep some crunchiness. They were ready so quickly. I am eating them with the Romano this time but definitely could see them with a marinara and cheese or with different vegetables. Because they are expensive to purchase pre-sliced, I am definitely interested in purchasing a vegetable spiralizer which I know can be pretty inexpensive. This, along with getting squash at the local farmstand this summer seems very nice indeed.:)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And after complaining that my budget went down, I'm happy to report that my ONE SPLURGE is going to be tonight's supper, and tomorrow's lunch. I was able to pick up a small container of a really yummy seafood salad that I shall have with crackers. Hmmmm...If I eat it out of the container, NO DISHES! Hey, I live alone, I CAN DO THAT!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm using up the leftover pasta from the beginning of the week, salad with fresh veggies on the side. And since I don't have dessert because I didn't want to be tempted I made up a batch of trail mix, also another leftover, with walnut halves, dark chocolate discs and raisins. By the time my daughter and son-in-law get back from vacation all the food they bought for me will be gone. :D

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And after complaining that my budget went down, I'm happy to report that my ONE SPLURGE is going to be tonight's supper, and tomorrow's lunch. I was able to pick up a small container of a really yummy seafood salad that I shall have with crackers. Hmmmm...If I eat it out of the container, NO DISHES! Hey, I live alone, I CAN DO THAT!
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , the seafood salad sounds wonderful! I'm on a small budget and also, cook just for one, like you. Some times I like to splurge on a very good chicken salad from a local deli and it is just right for me and so good! Enjoy your dinner!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Zucchini "noodles" with Romano cheese. I always wanted to try these as I love squash, so I purchased some zucchini pre-sliced in little spirals in the produce department. I sauteed them in olive oil after steaming them only a few seconds and I needed to work quickly to keep some crunchiness. They were ready so quickly. I am eating them with the Romano this time but definitely could see them with a marinara and cheese or with different vegetables. Because they are expensive to purchase pre-sliced, I am definitely interested in purchasing a vegetable spiralizer which I know can be pretty inexpensive. This, along with getting squash at the local farmstand this summer seems very nice indeed.:)
R raysmyheart You would enjoy using a spiralizer. We have zucchini noodles often during the summer when zucchini and summer squash are in abundance. I've sauteed the noodles and made them with just cheeses, they are great with a marinara sauce, they are great with other sauteed vegetables (think onions, celery, broccoli, red peppers, etc.). Very nice as a side dish, but also as a meatless entree. If you get one, you'd like it!

We are having the ravioli that we didn't have last night. The electrician got here around 4:30 and left the house a little after 8:00. I wasn't making dinner in front of him (we did ask him if he wanted anything to eat and he declined). So we just heated up the leftover chili from the other night after he left. I had my chili around 8:30 and Rick ate his when he came home from bowling. So tonight we'll do the ravioli.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , the seafood salad sounds wonderful! I'm on a small budget and also, cook just for one, like you. Some times I like to splurge on a very good chicken salad from a local deli and it is just right for me and so good! Enjoy your dinner!
I had to change my plans when I realized that I had two hot dogs left in an opened package that I really needed to use last night, and since the seafood salad's expiration date is still several days away, I ate the dogs. The salad will be for tonight, and BOY am I looking forward to it!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
And since I don't have dessert because I didn't want to be tempted I made up a batch of trail mix
I can't believe I'm quoting my own quote, lol. But the reason is because I gave into temptation today and went out to buy delicious homemade Brownie Bites. :yummy: I couldn't help myself, it's my last night dog sitting for my daughter and I wanted to treat myself.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried an interesting experiment we've never really tried/ate before, but we "reverse-seared" chicken thighs (cooked at VERY LOW temps...275 degF) for about 90 minutes, let everything rest for 15-20 minutes, re.threw a skillet on hard sear and seared for 1-2 minutes on either side and the results were fantastic.
We will be offering this in the future. Combined with mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese and a side of cold fruit made an excellent meal.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We are visiting with friends tonight. She wanted pizza from Papa John's (it's her favorite and Rick likes it, too). We have a Buy 1, Get 1 Free coupon, so we'll take advantage of it. Once the pizzas get to our house, we'll take them to our friends' place and have dinner.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We tried an interesting experiment we've never really tried/ate before, but we "reverse-seared" chicken thighs (cooked at VERY LOW temps...275 degF) for about 90 minutes, let everything rest for 15-20 minutes, re.threw a skillet on hard sear and seared for 1-2 minutes on either side and the results were fantastic.
We will be offering this in the future. Combined with mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese and a side of cold fruit made an excellent meal.
That does sound good! I bet it would work well with chicken breasts, as well. I'll give it a try! Did you use skin-on, bone-in, or boneless, skinless?

and a carob blondie for dessert.
What fun, a dessert that the kitties can share! Got a recipe?

BOY was that seafood salad good! Now, what for tonight? OH...spaghetti! I made a vast pot of the sauce last night, and am cooking up two pounds of spaghetti to freeze tonight, so I might as well keep one serving out. Better go take one package of sauce out of the freezer while I'm thinking about it!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 -- yes! here's the recipe --

blondies, infinitely adaptable

that recipe is one of my favorites...:yummy: oh, it's actually carob chip blondies -- i use carob chips, instead of chocolate chips. but there are quite a few options for add-ins to the blondies. i use the same blondies recipe to make banana walnut blondies, which are very good too!

hmmm......i'll add some veggie or other to my dinner plans too. maybe some pickled beets...:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.