Status
Not open for further replies.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh how fun, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
I get to tell you happy birthday this year!!
heh, we decided this was a breakout day, ----we've been dieting.
So we stopped into a grocery store, got some deli fried chicken, and piggied out. No sides, no dessert, AND no cleanup LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A very Happy Birthday, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ! :celebrate: :bday:

Today is corned beef and cabbage. I'm going to try grilling the corned beef. It is soaked in salt water, then rinsed very well, then simmered a wee bit on the stove. Rub some of the packet of the beef, but save some, add vinegar, water and oil to the saved packet, and use that to baste the beef while it's on the grill (to about 165 F). I'm adding apple wood to the grill for a bit of smoke.

So I'm either making colcannon mashed potatoes (and adding cabbage and I have some bacon I can add to the mix, too) or roasted potatoes in the oven. Sugar-glazed carrots. If I do the roasted potatoes, then I'll saute some cabbage with a bit of cheese. I don't make Irish soda bread, but I do make Irish soda muffins, which are really good. Not sure about dessert, but I'm thinking of just white cupcakes with a tinted green vanilla frosting. Nothing exotic and I can put leftovers in the freezer, after taking a couple to Rick's mom.

I hope it turns out well!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feel like cooking too much since I'm at my daughter's apt. - planning to make scrambled eggs with some of the fresh veggies her hubby and her bought for me. I think on my before dinner walk with her dog I'll stop in one of the local bakeries to pick up a little something special.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to go to Winchester Winchester 's house for dinner! But since I can't...

There is a serving to two of leftover pinto beans in the fridge and I pulled cooked, seasoned rice out of the freezer.

Later I decided to defrost some hamburger, to be flavored with homemade taco seasoning, onions, garlic and jalapeno...if the meat defrosts in time to cook today. Otherwise, just beans and rice today; tacos tomorrow.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spaghetti and garlic bread. The spaghetti noodles were made with vegetables.

Veggie noodles :D I should have veggie noodles more often. They're a nice substitute for regular pasta and a way to get more veggies into the diet. Do you make your own veggie noodles with one of those gadgets or do you buy them from the supermarket?

Tonight was leftovers, pasta with veggies and some chicken.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Veggie noodles :D I should have veggie noodles more often. They're a nice substitute for regular pasta and a way to get more veggies into the diet. Do you make your own veggie noodles with one of those gadgets or do you buy them from the supermarket?

Tonight was leftovers, pasta with veggies and some chicken.
Oh no, I can't cook. I made the spaghetti from boxed noodles I got from the grocery store. They were very good.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I thought you meant "noodles" made out of cucumbers and other veggies:doh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
orange&white orange&white You're always welcome here for dinner! :)

Our corned beef tasted great, but we weren't completely happy with the texture. I think next year, I'll go back to the oven; I'll probably use the same marinade for basting, but just do it in the oven instead. The colcannon mashed potatoes were excellent; I was surprised when Rick said he really liked them (it was mashed potatoes mixed with sauteed bacon, with the onion, and cabbage sauteed in some of the bacon drippings). I'll be making them again.

Rick took ground beef out of the freezer last night; we're both ready for some his family-famous burgers tonight; he'll be manning the grill instead of me. I'll make some macaroni salad to go with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.