What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been thinking of expanding the "meat and jam" list. What do y'all think about roast beef with blackberry, or chicken or turkey with peach or apricot? For some reason, both of those sound good. I will tell you, brave souls who decide to try any of these, THE BREAD IS THE KEY! Do NOT use a regular loaf bread! You want something like an English muffin, or a dense "artisan" type bread, something with some "oomph" to it. I don't think that rye or pump would work...pump maybe, though. I'll have to experiment with that. Ham is even better with strawberry than with blackberry. So there.

Tonight...hot dogs with cheese and onions, because I have to go to Suzanne's house and try to get the antenna she bought working on her tv. I don't know why I have to do this, I have no special ability, but she is insisting. At least I can measure her couch while I'm there. She is getting a new one, and giving me this one, and it will need a slipcover to go with my livingroom.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave sesame noodles a try. It was easy to make but fell flat on flavor :ohwell: All the comments rave about how tasty the dish came out :dunno: The sauce didn't taste like much other than soy sauce with a little hint of chili sauce. Maybe I just have weird taste buds:p I had the noodles with store bought rotisserie chicken since I don't have any more pan seared chicken stashed in the freezer.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 turkey and peach would go well together. I've made peach glazes, apricot glazes, etc to use on turkey and chicken. Yum. I'm sure those jams would go well with your sandwich experiments.

Same with pork and peach or apricot. Pineapple, too.
Ham would go well with raspberry. Cranberry, too. I love to use cranberry relish (OK, it's not a jam) in ham sandwiches and turkey sandwiches.

You should try my Old Farmhouse Chutney; that is decadent with pretty much any kind of poultry as well as pork and ham. In sandwiches (especially using the Thanksgiving turkey). It has lots of apples, raisins, and spices and it's really good. And I agree that you need a good chewy artisan bread for your sandwiches. I don't think plain old white bread is going to cut it, but that could just be me.

We don't eat a lot in the way of jams, jellies, or preserves, but I do like to experiment with them to create some "off the wall" type glazes and sauces, BBQ sauces, and the like for meats and seafood. One of my GFs made orange-pineapple jam (maybe it was was apricot-pineapple) and gave me a couple jars. Anyway, we never once put it on bread or toast. I did, however, experiment with it and made a delicious BBQ sauce as well as a yummy glaze for roast pork. They came in for dinner one night and she asked me about the glaze and she was kind of surprised when I told her that I made it from her jam.

So.....We decided to go up to visit with Rick's mother last night and stopped for dinner at a local steakhouse on the way. I just had a small sirloin (done rare--make it moo!), a dry baked potato (no butter or sour cream), and a Caesar salad. Since I'm desperately trying to cut out caffeine (other than my morning coffee), I had water with lemon instead of tea or soda.

I took pork chops out of the freezer this morning; Rick will do them on the grill tonight. And I'll throw together a small salad as a side.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tonight is hot dogs with cheese and onions AGAIN, but mainly because I am thawing a pork butt roast for tomorrow with carrots and onions and red potatoes. There should be enough for at least four big meals, so that will take me half-way through the week, or all week if I do it every other day.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, the pork chops that I took out of the freezer last night turned out to be spare ribs. (And that is why labeling your stuff is so important!). I like grilled spare ribs, but they have a tendency to take a while on the grill and it was already well after 5:00. I got the pressure cooker out, got a bag of sauerkraut out of the freezer. Threw the pork in the PC, cooked that in a bit of water, drained a bit, added the sauerkraut, then added some apple slices. We had pork and sauerkraut over mashed potatoes. Not a particularly summery meal, but it worked.

I took two chicken thighs out of the freezer this morning (and yeah, they are chicken thighs; they're labeled!). I'll marinate them for a while and then Rick can grill them. With a salad as a side.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the pork chops that I took out of the freezer last night turned out to be spare ribs. (And that is why labeling your stuff is so important!).

Lol:lol: Kind of like my Mom taking out a frozen unlabeled package of what she thinks is meat and it turns out to be frozen leftover veggies or something. Then it's a mad dash to the supermarket (at least an hour trip) to buy meat otherwise there would be nothing for dinner (Mom has no concept of meal planning).

Dinner tonight is leftover sesame noodles. It's not great but the recipie made a pretty big batch and I don't like wasting food. I still have half the rotisserie chicken to go with it. I might cook some veggies, fresh picked corn from the market across the street or whatever looks good.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
THE PORK BUTT ROAST! With potatoes and carrots and onions! I have to take a break from here in about 30 minutes to get it all started for an 8 o'clock dinner. Yes, I eat late, but I'm up until between 3-4 am, so not late on MY clock!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Leftover deep dish pizza, (mushroom, chunky tomatoes and spinach). Finally got my cappuccino gelato for dessert! Then I had green grapes so I wouldn't feel too guilty. :biggrin:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I cooked the roast low and slow, and it kinda just fell apart from the tender of it all, SO...I pulled it. And now I have a huge container of pulled pork in the fridge. AND a big bowl of veggies with LOTS of juice. I think I shall go put the veggies and juice in a big pot, mush up some of the potatoes so it thickens, let that simmer for a few hours, then add back half of the pulled pork and have pork/veggie stew. That way, I can freeze the leftovers in single servings.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We grabbed a few things for groceries and I brought home a couple nectarines. That was my supper....two nectarines. And I enjoyed them so much. I dearly love nectarines, peaches, plums, etc. Yum. Rick just heated up some soup from the freezer. I told him we'd do better tonight. I was just happy with my fruit.

So, I think that tonight, I'll get some turkey kielbasa from the freezer. Slice it diagonally and throw it into the frying pan. A quick saute with some peppers and onions, maybe a bit of fresh broccoli. Throw it over brown rice. Add a bit of salad. Dinner!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I had been thinking, I'd have kept a portion of the pork stew out, but nooooooooo, I froze it all! My plan was tuna salad tonight, but I'm just worn out to the point that I don't even want to think about trying to turn the crank on the dratted can opener, and all that STIRRING! Hot dog with cheese and onion, yet again!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would an automatic can opener be helpful? There are battery operated ones and ones that plug into an electrical outlet.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We just finally bought a new can opener. We've had an old Pampered Chef one that was getting more and more difficult to open cans. Last weekend when I was making my pasta sauce, it took me forever to open tomato paste. I ended up throwing out a can of tuna because I simply could not get the lid open all the way and got tired of dealing with it. I got so frustrated that I threw the thing into the trash.

While we were at Target a couple days later, I bought a cheap can opener for $7. And it works! No more fitching around with cans!

Rick is having spaghetti tonight. I'm not supposed to eat tomato products for a while, so I will either have a tuna sandwich or a cup of chicken noodle soup and a salad. Probably the soup and salad.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a battery powered, can opener at Bed Bath & Beyond. It is replacing the last one which was 11 years old.

I love these kind of can openers. They are small, fit in the drawer, and automatically, magnetically, attach to the can and opens it. They have some which eliminate the sharp edges also..

The best for me, as I find it hard to use a hand held opener. I have enough stuff on the counter, so a counter one would be a waste of space for the amount of times I use it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would an automatic can opener be helpful? There are battery operated ones and ones that plug into an electrical outlet.
It would, indeed. I can use the manual, and it is one of the nicer ones, but I should get the electric. Hmmmmm...maybe Hekitty will get me one for Christmas! She's very good a picking out things that I really want or need!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I made strip steak this week and peach cobbler. It was ok. I don't think I have the counter space or the time tonight to cook. I still haven't finished cleaning up from this weeks meal. I have VERY little counter space and I'm still washing dishes. I just need to stand there and dedicate a solid hour and a half and finish the job. Instead of doing one sink load at a time. Cooking just one meal makes such a huge mess....

I think I'll get Arbys tonight and finish cleaning when i get home later.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I made spaghetti sauce with tomatoes and herbs from the garden today. I'm going to bake some galant slices (also from the garden) and have it with zucchini noodles.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I had a simple salad with tuna. Low-fat French dressing. And a yeast roll from the freezer. Later on, I ate a few no-salt pretzels :rolleyes2:.

Status
Not open for further replies.