What's for dinner? - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leftover honey lemon chicken with farro. I need to keep farro (and quinoa) in my rotation as an alternative to boring rice :agree:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A cousin from out-of-state unexpectedly came in town to visit and we met him for dinner at an Asian restaurant. I had onion pancakes and steamed vegetable with brown rice.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy I was trying to quote you about the beans on bread and, for some reason, the quote isn't showing up.

Anyway, did you know that you can cut a hole into a whole onion and then fill the hole with baked beans and then throw the filled onions on the grill? They're really good! You can use sweet onions, too. Yum. The onions get nice and soft as they grill. I imagine you could do it in the oven, too. I really like onions, so it's a good side dish for me.

We did have the ham last night, but not on the grill. We got really busy and I told Rick not to deal with the grill. I sauteed the ham. And made omelets and threw in some caramelized onions and some sauteed Mariachi peppers into the egg mixture. We had some smoked Gouda leftover from our trip to Trader Joe's, so I chopped some of the Gouda and threw that into the omelets, too. So good.

Spaghetti is on our menu tonight. With just a simple greens salad.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Anyway, did you know that you can cut a hole into a whole onion and then fill the hole with baked beans and then throw the filled onions on the grill? They're really good! You can use sweet onions, too. Yum. The onions get nice and soft as they grill. I imagine you could do it in the oven, too. I really like onions, so it's a good side dish for me.
Wow, that sounds delicious - you have a treasure trove of cooking ideas and recipes. :clap2:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
muffy muffy I was trying to quote you about the beans on bread and, for some reason, the quote isn't showing up.

We did have the ham last night, but not on the grill. We got really busy and I told Rick not to deal with the grill. I sauteed the ham. And made omelets and threw in some caramelized onions and some sauteed Mariachi peppers into the egg mixture. We had some smoked Gouda leftover from our trip to Trader Joe's, so I chopped some of the Gouda and threw that into the omelets, too. So good.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester
: I also have trouble posting a quote.

I love baked beans and onions and I bet the would be delicious together.

Muffy

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Rick loves his brats. We were at the store last night and he found Johnsonville Limited Edition brats. He asked, "Hey, don't we have a coupon for these?" and when I said that we did, he scarfed them up. He wants them for dinner tonight. When I reminded him that we just had brats on Saturday, he shrugged and said, "And your point?" Well, I guess I don't have one! So we're having brats again tonight. On the grill with lots of onions and peppers and shredded cheese. And a salad.

And I told him no more brats for a while!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Last night I grilled up a bunch of food - steak tips, sausage and chicken. We had it with corn, green beans and cucumber salad. Plenty of leftovers for tonight, although we are out of corn and beans, so I will need to come up with another side.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

YUM! Must try the onion thing. I love onions! Will have to bake them. Our apartment doesn't allow us to even keep grills on the premises.

Rick loves his brats. We were at the store last night and he found Johnsonville Limited Edition brats. He asked, "Hey, don't we have a coupon for these?" and when I said that we did, he scarfed them up. He wants them for dinner tonight. When I reminded him that we just had brats on Saturday, he shrugged and said, "And your point?" Well, I guess I don't have one! So we're having brats again tonight. On the grill with lots of onions and peppers and shredded cheese. And a salad.

And I told him no more brats for a while!
LOL...I read that first sentence as "Rick loves his bats," and thought, "Say WHAT?" Read again, and all made sense.

Again, I have no clue on what I'm doing for supper, but I'm leaning towards chicken salad stuffed in the last of the vine-ripened tomatoes I picked up. The sammiches were lovely, the tomatoes perfectly ripe, and I need to use that last one!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm doing a Cornish hen in the air fryer tonight. I'm just going to barely brush it with a bit of oil and season it with a bit of Rustic Rub (I stole Emeril's Rustic Rub recipe and changed it to suit me). And some lemon slices in the cavity. That's it. Nothing fancy. 30 minutes at 325 degrees and I don't have to heat up the oven.

I'll make a small salad to go with my hen.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here's the onion with baked beans thing. This is from BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen. I made them to go with some nice steaks one night when we had friends in for dinner. They were a big hit and now I make them often. I also grill asparagus "rafts" with portobello mushrooms stuffed with cheese. If you've never had thick, grilled apple slices, they're delicious. So are barbecued potatoes!

One large sweet onion per serving. Use a can of baked beans or your own baked beans.
Peel the onion and cut about a 2 - 2-1/2 inch cavity out of the onion. Remove the cut onion from the cavity and finely chop. Mix the chopped onion in with your baked beans.

Make a foil ring for the onion to sit on; that keeps your onion steady while it's on the grill. (I try to slice a wee thin slice off the bottom of my onions so they're level, so I don't have to use the foil ring.)
Spoon the baked beans into the onion cavity. Put 1/2 tablespoon of brown sugar on top of the beans, then 1 tablespoon of your favorite BBQ sauce, and a little piece of butter. If you have some chopped cooked bacon, by all means, sprinkle the bacon on top.

Grill, covered, using indirect heat for 40 to 60 minutes or so. The onions should be soft....just give them a bit of a squeeze. If the beans start to brown too much and the onion isn't done, just cover with foil.

You could bake them. Heck, now I'm wondering if I could air fry one!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll bet you could air fry it! I'm going to try 350 degrees, and fork-test the onion after 30 minutes. But for tonight, um...hot dogs, with cheese and onions...big shock there.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Let me know how it turns out!

I'm going out to dinner with a GF tonight. We don't know where yet. I'm going to push for Mexican (margaritas!), but I think she's going to push for Chinese. It's been a while since she and I were together; either way, we'll have fun.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it'll be a grilled cheese, steamed corn, and leftover chicken.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOOOOOOHHHHHH...I have cheese. I have bread...grilled cheese sandwiches sound WONDERFUL! THANKS!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We had Mexican! :woohoo:

Not sure about tonight. I was supposed to go out with a GF tonight, but, as of midnight last night, her DIL was trying to push a :mommy: out. She's going to be a grandmother again; she has two! I know that it's a boy, but don't know if he's here yet. She was going to call me. Either way, I think I'm on my own for dinner.

And after last night, it probably wouldn't kill me to bag dinner tonight.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No idea yet. I have a recipie for crispy white beans with greens and poached eggs that sounds good and easy to make. Might add some chicken or something for a little more protein.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOOOOOHHHHHH...I have cheese. I have bread...grilled cheese sandwiches sound WONDERFUL! THANKS!
I've been craving grilled cheese sandwiches. I think I will have one tomorrow. I stopped eating cheese in the early eighties and did not start again until 4 years ago. Lately I've been having quite a craving for one. I had one with my sister when we ate lunch out one time but that's been the only one I've had in over 30 years. They go so good with tomato soup. YUM!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.