What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought clean protein ment that it only has one meat source. I will study on it!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought clean protein ment that it only has one meat source. I will study on it!
I think we each have our own idea of what "clean protein" in a cat food should mean, but as a trademarked term, "cleanprotein™" can mean whatever the folks at Dr. Elsey’s say it means. Here's how they define that branded term: "cleanprotein™ is 100% grain-free and gluten-free, and over 90% of the protein is animal-based. With no fillers or preservatives added."

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just offered Sylvie some of the Fromm lamb pate that I bought a can of months ago, and she loved it. I'm not crazy about the fact that a grain (barley) is the fourth-listed ingredient, and the inclusion of tomato paste seems a little weird, but I might pick up a few more cans of this next time I'm near the store where I bought it. It's always good to have a sure hit in the cupboard in case she suddenly develops an aversion to her standard rotation.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wanted to try Taste of the Wild flavors the cats have not tried yet. I bought them. And I am waiting to finish the bag, so I can open the other bag. I did get the canned flavored foods from them. The cats seem to enjoy the variety!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So since Trin passed, Olive has discovered the kibble she previously ignored :hmmm:. Not only has she quit the clean plate club, but she ha gotten visibly chunkier lol. This will force Gohan to stop being a grazer and we are picking up his food during the day.

But since we aren’t forced to eat rabbit kibble anymore, I bought a bag of Young Again to try and so far it’s going over well. Hopefully dropping the carbs from 34% to 7% will help Olive slim down.

But the best news is Gohan gets hungry for dinner and he absolutely loved the Caru Wild Salmon and Turkey Stew! I only gave him a small amount since his normal reaction to wet food is a careful sniff and then a huge gag. Most of the non-pates have this reaction, but he seems to get annoyed with pates when they are stuck in his teeth. But the stew seemed pretty perfect! Here’s to a 2019 filled with full yet skinny cats!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nice! My cat liked the frozen one. Hopefully the quail freeze dried isn't rock hard like rabbit.
They cite the bone content as 10 percent, which is higher than I like for a staple food, but it could be useful as a topper or an occasional meal. It’s also much more expensive than the pork flavor, not surprisingly.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They cite the bone content as 10 percent, which is higher than I like for a staple food, but it could be useful as a topper or an occasional meal. It’s also much more expensive than the pork flavor, not surprisingly.
Yes that's the problem with commercial. I'll be moving onto homemade very soon but my cat will still need to eat the freeze dried stuff when we board him during our vacations.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes that's the problem with commercial. I'll be moving onto homemade very soon but my cat will still need to eat the freeze dried stuff when we board him during our vacations.
Their pork flavor has just 6 percent bone, and the venison (which we haven’t tried yet) has 7 percent. I’m more comfortable with those numbers, since Sylvie seems somewhat prone to constipation.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice! My cat liked the frozen one. Hopefully the quail freeze dried isn't rock hard like rabbit.
So I’ve now tried 3 different flavors, the rabbit was a little hard, the pork was impossible and the Chicken and Salmon was super crumbly and soft. Is that normal for each flavor, or do the nuggets vary?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I’ve now tried 3 different flavors, the rabbit was a little hard, the pork was impossible and the Chicken and Salmon was super crumbly and soft. Is that normal for each flavor, or do the nuggets vary?
Chicken & Salmon and Turkey are always the softer ones. I haven't tried any duck or other red meats but the hardness seems to be correlated to flavor in my experience. Vital essentials freeze dried rabbit is also rock hard too.

Their pork flavor has just 6 percent bone, and the venison (which we haven’t tried yet) has 7 percent. I’m more comfortable with those numbers, since Sylvie seems somewhat prone to constipation.
Oh nice! I guess I didn't know because I don't feed red meat. But those are better numbers for bone.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The first bag of the pork I bought was a small one, and the nuggets were kind of hard. It was discounted at the store, so I think it was approaching its "best by" date and thus not super fresh. The second bag I bought is a large one, and the nuggets are somewhat softer. I also bought a marble mortar and pestle for $10 at Home Goods and use it to mash up the nuggets -- much easier and less messy than crumbling them completely by hand!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh nice! I guess I didn't know because I don't feed red meat. But those are better numbers for bone.
Sylvie doesn't do well with poultry (can't tolerate chicken at all and has limited tolerance for turkey), so I'm always interested in good non-poultry options! She does OK with duck, and I'm assuming that quail would also be different enough from chicken not to cause problems. Pork and rabbit work very well for her, and she eats them with enthusiasm.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken & Salmon and Turkey are always the softer ones. I haven't tried any duck or other red meats but the hardness seems to be correlated to flavor in my experience. Vital essentials freeze dried rabbit is also rock hard too.
The texture of Primal's freeze dried nuggets, while occasionally may have something to do with the best buy date, is more indicative of the amount of fat, the venison nuggets are by far the hardest (rock hard, I needed a mortar and pestle to break them up in order to hydrate thoroughly). Same with the beef/salmon and pork but venison being the leanest was super hard.

That's nice Primal came out with an additional protein but too bad it's yet another "10%" boney product on the market.

No can do for us. :(

I would love to see a raw food manufacturer develop a freeze dried product for cats utilizing a calcium supplement instead of ground bone for those cats who become constipated on ground bone. There are only two products that I know of, that are freeze dried utilizing a calcium supplement but both are too high in carbs for cats.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, yes, that's definitely more expensive! (Much of that site's Primal is pricier than what I pay here but the quail, venison, and duck, ouch!)

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, yes, that's definitely more expensive! (Much of that site's Primal is pricier than what I pay here but the quail, venison, and duck, ouch!)
The rabbit, too! They're all $10 more per large bag than the pork and the other more mundane proteins.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rabbit, too! They're all $10 more per large bag than the pork and the other more mundane proteins.
Ha ha, yes, those "mundane proteins"! Pork is usually $25.99 here but, oddly, turkey varies from $24.99 to $29.99.