What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats likes Canidae Redwood summit. It's out of stock everywhere. Hope Canidaes not leaving us! Except for 1 cat they liked the Canidae's Chaparral Canyon duck and chicken. That one only comes in 3oz which sucks

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats likes Canidae Redwood summit. It's out of stock everywhere. Hope Canidaes not leaving us! Except for 1 cat they liked the Canidae's Chaparral Canyon duck and chicken. That one only comes in 3oz which sucks
The Redwood Summit is in stock at Bernal Beast, but only in the 3-ounce cans. Maybe Canidae is discontinuing the 13-ounce size?

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd been wanting to try Redbarn Lamb Pate on Sylvie for some time but couldn't find individual cans locally and didn't want to gamble on a case. I finally took @cheeser 's advice and checked out Pawstruck, which sells it by the can online. Then I saw the shipping charge -- $7 for two cans! -- and decided to go back to searching for it locally.

After abandoning my shopping cart, I received an "It's nice to meet you" email from Pawstruck's founder. That was nice but didn't change my mind. Then, the next day, I got another email (purportedly from her dog ::lol: ) with a free-shipping code for my first order! So yay, the two cans are coming our way.

And then I took another look at the ingredients in Redbarn Lamb Pate and realized it has peas in it! Argh. We'll give it a try anyway and see how many peas there are (they're the 10th-listed ingredient on the label) and how easily they can be fished out.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd been wanting to try Redbarn Lamb Pate on Sylvie for some time but couldn't find individual cans locally and didn't want to gamble on a case. I finally took @cheeser 's advice and checked out Pawstruck, which sells it by the can online. Then I saw the shipping charge -- $7 for two cans! -- and decided to go back to searching for it locally.

After abandoning my shopping cart, I received an "It's nice to meet you" email from Pawstruck's founder. That was nice but didn't change my mind. Then, the next day, I got another email (purportedly from her dog ::lol: ) with a free-shipping code for my first order! So yay, the two cans are coming our way.

And then I took another look at the ingredients in Redbarn Lamb Pate and realized it has peas in it! Argh. We'll give it a try anyway and see how many peas there are (they're the 10th-listed ingredient on the label) and how easily they can be fished out.
Redbarn lamb is one of the few canned foods my older ones will readily eat. The peas aren't whole, they're very finely ground and well incorporated. I hope Sylvie likes it as much as Emerson and Evie! Dexter (my young kitten) tries to bury it after he finishes it...lol.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Redbarn lamb is one of the few canned foods my older ones will readily eat. The peas aren't whole, they're very finely ground and well incorporated. I hope Sylvie likes it as much as Emerson and Evie! Dexter (my young kitten) tries to bury it after he finishes it...lol.
I just hope the peas don't cause digestive consequences for Sylvie. But at least peas are preferable to pea protein.

I really like most of the ingredients in it, and it would be nice if our rotation included even one budget-friendly option!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just came back from Petco. All the Canidae is on clearance. The employee I talked to said that Canidae will be changing their formula. Petco will continue to sell it.

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Little random tip about the Weruva if you're going to try it! A lot of cats wolf it down, mine included. I was shocked when my cats turned up their nose at a can of tuna in gelee from the BFF Batch O' Besties pack. I got it because it was $5 for the pack on Chewy. They'll eat any other food in the pack except the stuff in gelee! I searched Chewy reviews and found out that a LOT of other people are experiencing just this. Weruva loving kitties turning their noses up to the flavors in gelee.
Alright! Sadly I couldn't get some off Amazon-- it was crazy expensive!!! Maybe because they have to import... But I will keep my eyes open if I ever see it sold online at a reasonable price and thanks for the tip!

In the meantime I bought some bottom barrel wet food from the supermarket for Bosie. In my desperation I thought that maybe the switch from cheap dry food to cheap wet food might be easier... But he still only licked the gelee off it and walked away with 90% of it left. :frustrated:Even when I sprinkled some snacks on it he was only mildly tempted.

I left out a handful of dry food just to test if he'd eat at all, but he only half-finished that as well.

Sigh. What am I to do with him? The vet says he's fine since he's still playing and drinking, but he is looking somewhat skinnier. I just don't want him to end up with hepatic lipidosis. :cringe:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright! Sadly I couldn't get some off Amazon-- it was crazy expensive!!! Maybe because they have to import... But I will keep my eyes open if I ever see it sold online at a reasonable price and thanks for the tip!

In the meantime I bought some bottom barrel wet food from the supermarket for Bosie. In my desperation I thought that maybe the switch from cheap dry food to cheap wet food might be easier... But he still only licked the gelee off it and walked away with 90% of it left. :frustrated:Even when I sprinkled some snacks on it he was only mildly tempted.

I left out a handful of dry food just to test if he'd eat at all, but he only half-finished that as well.

Sigh. What am I to do with him? The vet says he's fine since he's still playing and drinking, but he is looking somewhat skinnier. I just don't want him to end up with hepatic lipidosis. :cringe:
My cat is the same way with wet food. She will not eat it til I add some ff broth as a topper. It costs $1 but lasts a few days. Not sure if milk is ok? It's one of the ingredients

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is the same way with wet food. She will not eat it til I add some ff broth as a topper. It costs $1 but lasts a few days. Not sure if milk is ok? It's one of the ingredients
He won't drink any milk at all, never liked it, neither actual milk nor cat milk. I've tried diluting it with water, putting some kibble in his milk, but he wouldn't even touch my leftover cereal bowl.
I've also tried some cat broth, but he turns his nose up at anything except clear water.

On the upside, after he and I essentially had a Mexican stand-off (only me with a bowl of food in my hand except of a pistol... :argue:) he did eat a bit more.

Doug Shokes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I visited this site to get information on cat food and hairballs, because I have a long-haired cat that has them. I had earlier read something about grain-free foods and hairballs, so I wanted to see if that was contributing to the problem. In the meantime, I read some disparaging posts about Friskies pate. A little personal information is necessary. It's all anecdotal, nothing scientific, but I adopted Miss Grey when my mom died in 2013. Miss Grey was then about 13 years old. She is now either 18 or 19 years old, still jumps on my lap when I'm sitting at the computer, still plays cat soccer with stray socks, and still seems happy. My mom adopted this cat from the humane society when it was about three, according to the vet who first examined her, and her staple diet has always been Friskies poultry pate, though I've varied it on occasion with 9 Lives and Fancy Feast pates. I read about the rice and carageenan additives in Friskies and the harms they might cause, and I want to let you know that one worry I have in this life is that my mom's cat will outlive me, a 64-year-old man with a heart condition. I've never endorsed a product in my life, but I gladly endorse Friskies poultry pate.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise

~ Here is a treat my cats like . Looks and smells just like roasted
chicken in heavy broth. Available at a store near you ! ``:winkcat:
my mom's cat will outlive me, a 64-year-old man with a heart condition. I've never endorsed a product in my life, but I gladly endorse Friskies poultry pate.
~ HA ! Same here ... My Mom had cats that lived over 20 years on the same diet - with a little MeowMix kibble ! :petcat:

ellaandbosie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read about the rice and carageenan additives in Friskies and the harms they might cause, and I want to let you know that one worry I have in this life is that my mom's cat will outlive me, a 64-year-old man with a heart condition. I've never endorsed a product in my life, but I gladly endorse Friskies poultry pate.
That reminds me of my grandfather. He's 92, smoked like a chimney for sixty years, still drinks a tall glass of bitters every day and has the cleanest bill of health I've ever seen in a man his age. His doctors are baffled. Some people (and cats) are simply indestructible! :confused2:

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
That reminds me of my grandfather. He's 92, smoked like a chimney for sixty years, still drinks a tall glass of bitters every day and has the cleanest bill of health I've ever seen in a man his age. His doctors are baffled. Some people (and cats) are simply indestructible! :confused2:
Yupppp. This is me with my friend's mom the other day at lunch. Right before this pic was taken, she slugged back a vodka martini like it was her job. They're her favorite.
FB_IMG_1547842515907.jpg
She's 98.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yupppp. This is me with my friend's mom the other day at lunch. Right before this pic was taken, she slugged back a vodka martini like it was her job. They're her favorite.
View attachment 271255
She's 98.
Maybe there's something to vodka martinis: my grandmother drank them after turning 100! (And she lived to 103, I think it was.)

And Friskies are far from the worst food you could feed a cat!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I just returned 4 cans of Nutrisource. Something new that has chickpeas in it which is hard for cats to digest. Be sure to read the ingredients. Many foods have ingredients not good for cats! I might have to buy ff or friskies if so many cans have weird stuff in it

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just returned 4 cans of Nutrisource. Something new that has chickpeas in it which is hard for cats to digest. Be sure to read the ingredients. Many foods have ingredients not good for cats! I might have to buy ff or friskies if so many cans have weird stuff in it
Ouch, chickpeas are just so not right for cat food!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe there's something to vodka martinis: my grandmother drank them after turning 100! (And she lived to 103, I think it was.)

And Friskies are far from the worst food you could feed a cat!
I don't think it's specific to vodka. My aunt drank a gin martini every day and lived to 94. But hey, maybe if she'd made them with vodka, she'd have lived to 104! :lol: I prefer gin ("good gin," as Ina Garten might say), so I'll take my chances.