What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the freeze-dried nuggets. Olive loves raw food, and she goes wild for those. I'll probably try the chicken and salmon next.

Shows I'm not a cat ... the canned food with all the gravy and meaty chunks looks so much more satisfying than chalky dried meat cubes soaked in water to make a paste. But she's crazy for 'em.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't get to try as much fun stuff with Cookie since I switched her to raw and I can't afford novel proteins :( Trying dry food isn't that much fun because I'm on such a tight budget. I was super excited for her to try Cleanprotein (a one time purchase because it's so expensive) and she is NOT a fan. I tried mixing it with American Journey (her favorite!) and she picks around the Cleanprotein. It was expensive though so she's going to get over it and eat it.

I'm now getting all my excitement through choosing food for my mom's cats! Her budget is super tight too, but it's still fun to choose new (cheap) canned food for her kitties to try. I'm fighting to make sure their diet is at least half canned. The male kitten had a urinary blockage when he was just a couple months old if that, and he nearly died. I worry that he'll develop blockages again and again if he's fed only dry. Thus far they like Fancy Feast, American Journey, and Tiny Tiger canned. Apparently, they get tired of everything quickly though, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Olive is super fun with canned food, but the boys are a pain. Gohan needs solitude to try new foods, and if a small noise happens nearby it's over. Then Olive will finish his dinner. Trin only likes chicken, and we have to avoid that because he has IBD/lymphoma and chicken makes it worse.

For getting tired of foods, try rotating the different flavors. Olive prefers a different protein or flavor for each meal so I rotate a few different ones in.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gohan needs solitude to try new foods, and if a small noise happens nearby it's over.
Sylvie is the same way, an easily distracted eater! I can't even leave the room after putting the food in the dish, because the disturbance will take her attention away from eating. She seems to eat best, and most, if I stay a foot or two away and don't move a muscle. :gaah:

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I hit the jackpot at global pet foods today....I went to a different one in a different city an hour away since my 10 year old had an appointment there...and holy cow is it ever better stocked than the one we have here. They had literally everything I’ve been wanting to try. Exciting! I bought it all.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I hit the jackpot at global pet foods today....I went to a different one in a different city an hour away since my 10 year old had an appointment there...and holy cow is it ever better stocked than the one we have here. They had literally everything I’ve been wanting to try. Exciting! I bought it all.
Exciting indeed. Looking forward to hearing how it goes with all the new choices!

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
She seems to eat best, and most, if I stay a foot or two away and don't move a muscle. :gaah:
Oh we live this life too! For a while we would feed him on the counter so the other cats wouldn't bother him, stand quietly (and talk in whispers, making efforts not to look at him). Then some jerk would walk past the window with his dog and the dog leash would jangle and that was it. :argh:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sylvie is the same way, an easily distracted eater! I can't even leave the room after putting the food in the dish, because the disturbance will take her attention away from eating. She seems to eat best, and most, if I stay a foot or two away and don't move a muscle. :gaah:
Oh we live this life too! For a while we would feed him on the counter so the other cats wouldn't bother him, stand quietly (and talk in whispers, making efforts not to look at him). Then some jerk would walk past the window with his dog and the dog leash would jangle and that was it. :argh:
Oh my, that's just like Ireland! She insists on eating on the veranda or by the glass door but it's trouble because anything -- the wind, a squirrel, a falling leaf -- can distract her from her food. Sometimes I won't look at her and I often tell my husband not to go near her!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that's just like Ireland! She insists on eating on the veranda or by the glass door but it's trouble because anything -- the wind, a squirrel, a falling leaf -- can distract her from her food. Sometimes I won't look at her and I often tell my husband not to go near her!
With Sylvie, the problem is compounded by the fact that she eats her meals in dribs and drabs. I feel as if the kitchen is a place I must approach cautiously all day long, lest I inadvertently interrupt one of her many feeding sessions!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With Sylvie, the problem is compounded by the fact that she eats her meals in dribs and drabs. I feel as if the kitchen is a place I must approach cautiously all day long, lest I inadvertently interrupt one of her many feeding sessions!
I wish we could feed Ireland in dribs and drabs, too! Edwina's a horrible piglet, though, so we need to have set mealtimes (don't be late!) and feed the cats separately.

LittleBelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love this forum. I could read these threads all day. Ok, I just managed to convert my cats to Instinct LID Grain Free Recipe with Real Turkey (they were eating Rachel Ray Nutrish) and now I read above in this thread that this recipe has too many peas in it! What dry cat food or foods do you Top Cats/Super Cats like? There are just so many brands out there; it's confusing. Also, I purchased a starter pack of Primal Frozen Formulas and I was excited because my cats actually ate a little of the Beef and Salmon formula (with a little grated cheese on top), but I just read above that this formula has too much phosphorus in it. Is it dangerous? I am defrosting the pork formula for tomorrow. What brands of frozen and freeze dried raw do y'all like? I have tested a few: they don't like Ziwi Peak Air Dried Beef. They are on the fence with VitalCat Freeze Dried Rabbit Mini Nubs, but I have only tried the VitalCat dry. I will try it rehydrated and see if they like it. Thanks for any replies.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just opened our first can of Tiny Tiger turkey and giblets last night. Gizmo is the ravenous boy who has never met a food he didn't like and scarfed his portion right down while Stevie was a little more apprehensive. I had to continuously push her bowl in front of her face before she realized it wasn't going to change into something else and she finally decided to taste it. She ended up licking her bowl clean. :lol: Oh cats.

Next up is Miko chicken and turkey. I'm excited for that one as there's no gums or thickening agents at all in it, at least as far as I can tell. Curious to see how it looks.

LittleBelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish mine would get excited about any good quality food. I tried Nulo Chicken & Herring today. All 3 ate some...but just a little. I guess that is progress since they turn their noses up at almost everything.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Gohan gags at most foods, or ignores it too. He might start eating one, but then he starts taking a few sample licks and walking away.

He's isolated now, recovering from an injury. So he has all the privacy in the world to eat food and Olive can't get in to eat it after he walks away. We have given him some of his old "favorites" and he eats more but not all. We finally settled on Natural Balance Platefulls pouches, and he's been eating them all up. A little low in protein/high in carbs, but better than kibble!

Now to reproduce this in two weeks when he's back with the piggies ...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finally settled on Natural Balance Platefulls pouches, and he's been eating them all up. A little low in protein/high in carbs, but better than kibble!
It's funny: that was one of the foods that our previous cat would eat when she was very sick. She'd eaten a bad diet for most of her life so that was total health food by comparison to cheap kibble! I still feel guilty about that but at least I learned from that experience so we know how to feed the cats we have now!

And as for a new cat food to try: I finally found duck Rawz last night. I know the prices for that; it was $2.39 and the chicken and turkey kinds were $2.19. (I think $2.19 is pretty typical around here.)

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's funny: that was one of the foods that our previous cat would eat when she was very sick. She'd eaten a bad diet for most of her life so that was total health food by comparison to cheap kibble! I still feel guilty about that but at least I learned from that experience so we know how to feed the cats we have now!

And as for a new cat food to try: I finally found duck Rawz last night. I know the prices for that; it was $2.39 and the chicken and turkey kinds were $2.19. (I think $2.19 is pretty typical around here.)
Those are pretty good prices for Rawz. Looking forward to hearing about how your girls like the duck! Sylvie is having it for dinner tonight.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are pretty good prices for Rawz. Looking forward to hearing about how your girls like the duck! Sylvie is having it for dinner tonight.
Rawz comes up in a few days and I'll definitely try them on duck!

Bon appétit to Sylvie! That reminds me that I meant to write about the vomiting problem: Edwina, our snowshoe, can't be fed more than about a half a (small) can of food at a time because otherwise she gorges herself and then, oopsy, up it comes! Spreading her food out on the plate helps quite a bit but feeding five small meals a day is the most important thing with her.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Holy cats, my kitties have a ton of new things to try...
Before more shopping and returning things they hate (or just donating) and buying more new things we wanna try (rinse, lather, repeat), I decided to send some emails to companies to see if they would send samples or coupons.
Felt kinda weird and ballsy, but I decided who cares? Worst that can happen is "No". I'm pretty sure the tackiness police aren't gonna come arrest me. And indeed, we got many "No"s, but we also got a LOT of "Yes"es!! <3

So we'll be trying Fussie Cat dry, lots of Dave's wet, Dr Elsey's dry and wet, a little Ziwi dry and wet, and a buuunnnnch of exciting things from Rawz. Wow, Rawz was beyond generous. (and apparently their offices are located right here in our home state of Maine, so I'm REALLY hoping this will be a brand the kitties love because I already love it!)

We still have a few more packages coming from others too. Jeez, I wish I'd asked a lot more brands before we tried 'em! :winkcat:

Last edited:

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holy cats, my kitties have a ton of new things to try...
Before more shopping and returning things they hate (or just donating) and buying more new things we wanna try (rinse, lather, repeat), I decided to send some emails to companies to see if they would send samples or coupons.
Felt kinda weird and ballsy, but I decided who cares? Worst that can happen is "No". I'm pretty sure the tackiness police aren't gonna come arrest me. And indeed, we got many "No"s, but we also got a LOT of "Yes"es!! <3

So we'll be trying Fussie Cat dry, lots of Dave's wet, Dr Elsey's dry and wet, a little Ziwi dry and wet, and a buuunnnnch of exciting things from Rawz. Wow, Rawz was beyond generous. (and apparently their offices are located right here in our home state of Maine, so I'm REALLY hoping this will be a brand the kitties love because I already love it!)

We still have a few more packages coming from others too. Jeez, I wish I'd asked a lot more brands before we tried 'em! :winkcat:
Hahaha! That is awesome! I read on here a few days ago that someone wrote to Purina to complain about the fact that FF only comes in 3oz cans, and that in response Purina sent them a bunch of coupons. I decided to do the same....I said I have multiple cats and it would be so much better if they had the bigger cans....and all I got back was a note saying thanks for my suggestion....no coupons!

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahaha! That is awesome! I read on here a few days ago that someone wrote to Purina to complain about the fact that FF only comes in 3oz cans, and that in response Purina sent them a bunch of coupons. I decided to do the same....I said I have multiple cats and it would be so much better if they had the bigger cans....and all I got back was a note saying thanks for my suggestion....no coupons!
Lame! Boo to them.