What Cat Food Has Your Cat Done Best On?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ahh, I wish she my kitty would eat any type of wet food... I tried the most expensive to the cheapest but she didn't like them. I give her weruva but even some of the flavors she does like. I'm hoping that she doesn't change her mind on the ones she likes.
I LOVE having her, she was 7 weeks old when she joined our family, now she's 5 months and the princess of the house
:purr:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Speedy does best on Purina products. She came to me with the advice she has a sensitive stomach.
Speedy has been eating Fancy Feast cans for six years and Purina Naturals dry. The vet once had her on a prescription diet, but I was not comfortable that the ingredients were as good as Purina. She has never had a digestive problem in six years and is in good health.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tried a whole array of foods (feels like basically everything under the sun) but right now I've gotten Mika on TikiCat mousse pouches. She loves the salmon, salmon and chicken and the chicken and egg ones! Even though she's gone nuts for tuna flavored foods before (got my hopes up with them, but then wouldn't touch them later) she refuses to even touch any of their tuna flavored foods. She doesn't like chunky so the rest of their wet food line is out of the question.

I'm thinking about trying their dry food to see how she does on that too!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It really is so individual, and changes as their needs change. When my cats were younger, they did fine on dry foods like Orijen. Now that they are older, they do better on a mostly wet diet. My senior did terrible on Nature's Variety, ZiwiPeak, etc, and thrives on Friskies. You just have to find what works within your budget, and with what your cat will eat.

furangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree w/ trying them all - so, don't buy a 12 or 24 pack unless you know it's accepted - why not try them all.

For us :

Organix Grain Free - Turkey or Chicken Pate
Daves - various
Country Naturals grandmamaes - various
Koha - the turkey, chicken, venison or duck
Evangers - the quail

If some which work are more expensive, you can mix them in a few times a week.

Also Tomlyn hair ball gel is important.

Maybe for a young cat - separate the plate half w/ wet and the other half dry and not mix them together and give her a big flat plate like a salad or spaghetti plate/bowl or a very tapered pyrex. Some cats, like kids, are very finicky eaters and like things separated on the plate.

Also once in a while a can of chicken with the salty water squeezed out, might be nice.

Also, LOW sodium chicken broth w/ not too many additives if any.

The kitten is young - I believe she might open up to wet food more as she gets older which is good and her taste for pate or other textures might change with time.

Probiotics might be a good idea once in a while - like the Bifidobacterium kind - there are others too. An interesting site is animalbiome

as they get older electrolyte supplements might be helpful and so might CBD oils like Charlottes Web.

Research all the toxic stuff (and get multiple sources) like chocolate, any caffeine, tomatoes or nightshade and many more, most essential oils in that form.

If kitten ever gets mites in ears Zymox is a good treatment. and once in a while (not every month) Revolution (I only give this twice a year IF needed) if they get fleas; however, first I try to use a flea comb every day until gone and shower/shampoo once in a while. If combing fleas have masking tape or a cup of water mixed w/ dish soap nearby to catch those fleas or drown em which I hope you never get.

and IMO Special Kitty scoopable litter is the most cost effective and best litter available usu at WM.

I know I typed a lot here however it is exciting to pass along tidbits to a new cat guardian per se.

Also, inspect them once in a while and inspect their poops.

be careful cleaning their ears, you don't usually need to often at all, however if you do, you can - but be gentle and you can also wrap them up in an blanket like a taco if you ever need to if they give you a very hard time, some won't, some might.

Best Wishes.

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did any of you that feed mainly dry food consider that a kitten needs hydrating and extra nutrition that only wet food gives? In nature they don't eat berries or fruit or veggies, they eat meat. They get additional hydration from meat. When they were younger they only got food from their Mom, who only ate meat. I keep seeing cats that have only been fed dry develop problems later, especially urinary problems, diabetes etc. The cat food industry is NOT out to feed your cat what it needs, they are out to make the largest amount of money they can the cheapest way possible. That... is why you see so many "filler" foods on the list of ingredients. It's not because they are good for your cat, it's because it's CHEAPER.

Please, feed your cats, especially kittens, WET FOOD for their health. Would you want to eat dry wood pellets sprayed with a yummy scent all your life?

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Duckpond, I have not tried Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble food. Where do you get it from? Chewy's products appear too pricey and Amazon does not sell it, I think. Did you need to transition your cats into it? I have noticed kibble food causes my cats to do number 2 too often, not sure if this brand does not do that. Pet nutritionist, Dr. Karen Becker stated ALL kibble food is bad for cats.

FlaLadyB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chewy and Petco both carry that... just type in the product and see who sells it

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was away from this website for a long time, so only recently found out about Dr. Elsey's clean protein kibble and wet food. Just want to let people know they send samples for free if you don't already know. I requested a sample online and they immediately sent out a small sample bag of the kibble and a full 5.5 oz can of the turkey pate I requested! I'm stunned by how fast I received them! I'm hoping kitty will eat them both. :)

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was away from this website for a long time, so only recently found out about Dr. Elsey's clean protein kibble and wet food. Just want to let people know they send samples for free if you don't already know. I requested a sample online and they immediately sent out a small sample bag of the kibble and a full 5.5 oz can of the turkey pate I requested! I'm stunned by how fast I received them! I'm hoping kitty will eat them both. :)
That’s good to know. I’d love to try it.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do best on a mix of a whole bunch of different things. They eat Natures Variety Instinct dry kibble; Fancy Feast, Weruva, and Tractor Supply wet food; and Nature's Variety Instinct raw food.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats went on a food strike. They used to like Friskies but won't touch it now . They also lost interest in Dr. Elseys kibble.
Right now they are eating Tiki Cat Born Carnivore kibble. It's pretty good , 47% protein 11% carbs. So far they like it a lot. Currently not eating wet but thinking of trying Tiki Cat.
I did not know Tiki Cat made Kibble dry food.

Starznight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had many, many cats over the years and have always fed them either Iiams or Purina one (when it came out) and all of them have lived well into their late teens/early 20’s with almost no health problems to speak of minus the odd tapeworm (live in flea county USA) the only ones I have lost earlier in life the food had no bearing on it, they died of congenital defects, but even with those for they largely survived beyond their life expectancy given their defects.

My cats are also slightly larger, not overweight, but proportionally larger than older cats I have adopted who were fed low quality foods like special kitty from birth. They all have bright shiny coats, clean teeth, and energy. I do not give them much by way of wet food that’s prepackaged and instead give them poached chicken and broth, it’s cheap, easy and gives them a nice treat. Except for Spree who seems to think it’s poison, won’t touch it and goes into hiding when he sees me popping a portion in the microwave to thaw. Otherwise they just get the dry food and always always have fresh clean water on hand. (And believe me if the bowl gets down 3/4 of the way, they have no problem turning on the tap and drinking from it)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, I have not tried Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble food. Where do you get it from? Chewy's products appear too pricey and Amazon does not sell it, I think. Did you need to transition your cats into it? I have noticed kibble food causes my cats to do number 2 too often, not sure if this brand does not do that. Pet nutritionist, Dr. Karen Becker stated ALL kibble food is bad for cats.
I do get my Dr. Elseys from Chewy. its expensive, but as high calorie and high protein as it is they dont eat a lot, so it last really well. They also have a really good sale about 3 times a year and i try to stock up a bit.

Some dry food in the past has caused my guys to poo too much as well. Dr. Elseys does not cause mine to do that. I think because its not full of fillers or too much fiber. They go one every day to day and a half. and not huge poo. Seems about right for my guys.

I guess we all have to make choices on what we feed. I would not want to feed all dry, i feed two wet meals per day, and supplement with dry. some days my guys eat more wet, somedays more dry. I think the key is getting the moisture in them, but i and my vet are in agreement that some dry is not going to hurt. I think moderation in all things makes sense to me :dunno: Its what i do.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where can I find it? I'm having trouble with my kitty to eat a type of wet food... she eats it for a little while then stops. I'm not sure if it's good idea to give her a flavor every day ( she seems to get bored when it's always the same)
I'm in Ottawa, I haven't seen many of the brands I read in the group.
Thank you :):)

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where can I find it? I'm having trouble with my kitty to eat a type of wet food... she eats it for a little while then stops. I'm not sure if it's good idea to give her a flavor every day ( she seems to get bored when it's always the same)
I'm in Ottawa, I haven't seen many of the brands I read in the group.
Thank you :):)
Here's the link to the Contact page where you can give them your address and ask for samples in the Message section:

Contact - Dr. Elsey's

As for buying it, it looks like it's only available on the Dr. Elsey's website or Chewy.com.