What Cat Food Has Your Cat Done Best On?

kalebkat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
***SALMON SUSHI FLAKES??? WHERE, pray tell, does one get SALMON SUSHI FLAKES?***:runningcat:
Just found this for you....if you were still interested...

Presidio Natural Pet Company Complete Natural Nutrition CSC-01-070 Cat Sushi Classic Cut Bonito Flakes, 0.7 oz
I hope that link worked.

Southerngal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my furbaby completed balance raw 80/10/10. (80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ.)

She loves chicken, kangaroo, rabbit, emu, goat, beef, pork, and lamb.

I use human grade meats to make large batch once a month.

I don't feed her dry food.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself and your cat at New Cats on the Block. I am guessing you live in Australia. We have a raw feeding subforum.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Per dog food/treats:
Canine Carry outs Beef: Receives 5 stars:
"Chicken, Corn Syrup, Soy Flour, Wheat Flour, Corn Starch, Water, Propylene Glycol, Animal Fat (BHA Used as a Preservative), Animal Digest, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Protein Concentrate, Sugar, Beef, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Titanium Dioxide (Color), Sorbic Acid (Used as a Preservative), Red 40 Lake, Garlic ..."

This does not sound like something a dog should ingest. Notice "chicken" vs. "pastured chicken", "free range chicken", "organic chicken" or anything else that would potentially separate this from bargain brand meat.
Hills dog food gets 5 stars, Wellness, Solid Gold, and The Honest Kitchen get one.
I cannot and will not believe Hill's does more to source "clean" ingredients than smaller companies catering to a smaller market does. Look at the labels.

For cat food, Royal Canin gets 5 stars. Lines of Purina Friskies gets 5 stars.
Lines of Solid Gold and (gasp) Blue get 1 star.
Come on.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That ingredient list looks similar to Pounce cat treats. YUCK!
Which is why I'm leery of CLP. Not just ingredients lists, but the quality.
Even though many cats do well and my own childhood cats lived fine lives into their 20's on Purina Cat Chow, I do not believe Purina is going above and beyond to source "clean" ingredients and companies like Champion are using crap and charging crazy prices.
I think this site has an agenda and won't disclose information on how they came to these findings. And that, frankly, pisses me off.
I'm a skeptic and paranoid as all get out but it's JMO =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What agenda would be that Bruce?
Who knows? Perhaps money, attention, etc.
You of all people Daisy have expressed extreme disgust at companies like Hills, Purina, etc. I'm kind of surprised you don't feel the same as I do but to each our own. :agreedisagree:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Well you feed raw because of the bad ingredients in commercial pet foods, right?

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For me, forget brands, and focus on the ingredients, especially the first 5. If they contain the word "meal"....pass. Also I believe, canned/wet food, of any quality, should be a significant part of your cat's diet.

For me, I am feeding my crew a lot of Petco's Whole Earth canned food, supplemented with Spot's Stew / Halo kibble.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well you feed raw because of the bad ingredients in commercial pet foods, right?
Not really...but kind of.
We feed raw because feeding a brand of food to all these dogs and cats we felt comfortable with (at best) became cost prohibitive.
If we bought Orijen (IMO a good brand) or Ziwi (another good brand, or any other brand in that same quality/price range), we'd be in the poor house.
I cannot wrap my mind around the idea that "feeding raw costs a fortune", unless someone is absolutely dead set on feeding a pre-made version. Yep, this can cost a lot. No way could we afford it.
But straight from the farmer, butcher, rancher and hunter (provided these options are available) it's ridiculously cheap. Some farmers, ranchers and hunters are GLAD to unload scrap meats and offals and all that fun stuff for little (or no!) cost. If you can buy bulk, you can get quality meats from healthy animals for $.25 a pound. That's dirt cheap, and good darned food....and cuts down on waste from the human food industry. Another plus..

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course that is for people who enjoy doing all the work from scratch - cut, grind, stir, etc. Not everyone can do that for various reasons, including preparation time. I personally would rather buy a premade cat food for peace of mind that the nutrient composition is correct and just thaw whatever is in the freezer.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course that is for people who enjoy doing all the work from scratch - cut, grind, stir, etc. Not everyone can do that for various reasons, including preparation time. I personally would rather buy a premade cat food for peace of mind that the nutrient composition is correct and just thaw whatever is in the freezer.
We couldn't afford premade raw for 9 cats.