What Cat Food Has Your Cat Done Best On?

SBHC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was finally able to get my kitten to eat dry food, but I'm still supplementing her with wet cat food. I have been doing research on cat food lately but some have concerned me, such as the ordeal with Orijen changing their formula and causing cats to get very sick.

I was hoping to get some recommendation on what would be the best dry to put her on when she's an adult, for now she will only eat Royal Canin Mom and Kittens formula, I had some brands in mind such as the N&D by Farmina, or Acana Regionals. I thought of Merricks, until I heard Purina had bought the brand and changed their formula also. :/

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite dry food is Dr. Elseys. chicken. Very high protein, moderate fat, and one of the lowest carb dry foods available. It is high calorie, so a little goes a long way.

I also feed 2 wet meals per day. I dont have a problem with dry, i use it myself. But i do like to see cats get at least part of their daily food from wet.

Honestly if you are wanting to try Merricks, or Orijen i would not worry about the formula changes, almost all brands have these type of stories floating around.. I have used both, and my guys never got sick. Not all foods will agree with all cats. I would still trust Orijen and Merrick. I do like Farmina as well, i use it for a change of pace once in a while :)

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have sworn off all kibble for our cats and dogs. I was feeding Acana Singles to my dogs this Spring when word about the class action lawsuit against them and Origen came out. I threw about half a bag of the Acana out over our back fence (we back up to the woods) figuring something would eat it. That was in March. It turned gray and still sits there in June. No animal touched it. I saw a dog sniff it and walk away. The ants didn’t even mess with it! I live in the hot, humid Southern US where we have had a wet Spring. I can’t believe I was feeding that stuff to my dogs! The kitties eat raw (Answers, Stella&Chewy’s, or Radcat) and the dogs now eat The Farmer’s Dog.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if i put much weight behind the class action suit against Origen, at least not yet. I think there are a lot of questions about the Clean Label Project. Both in regards to their testing methods, and their transparency on the results. I know they have slammed quite a few other pet food companies for the same things as Origen, Wellness and Rachel ray are two that come to mind. I think origen is just the only one that has had anyone start a lawsuit yet? Someone may have more information than i do. :dunno:

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s more the fact the the Acana Singles I poured out over the fence has been sitting there for over 2.5 months and hasn’t yet disintegrated, been eaten by other animals or insects or dissolved in the rainy, steamy weather!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess acana singles is a dog food? Im not familiar with it. It is weird being there that long. I dont think i have ever put anything out that the Raccoons or possums didn't eat. :dunno:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried my cats on Orijen when they were younger, and they didn't like it, which is okay because over time I know they don't need all those fruits, vegetables, or fish. They grew up mainly on Nature's Variety kibble, but since I've moved to the D.C. area the boys have branched off onto raw food, and my girls eat Dr Elsey's cleanprotein kibble along with wet food.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to supplement Fancy Feast wet with Blue Buffalo Sensitive Stomach dry, which they really liked. But now one of them is on prescription food so I no longer can leave out the BB dry.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, I have not tried Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble food. Where do you get it from? Chewy's products appear too pricey and Amazon does not sell it, I think. Did you need to transition your cats into it? I have noticed kibble food causes my cats to do number 2 too often, not sure if this brand does not do that. Pet nutritionist, Dr. Karen Becker stated ALL kibble food is bad for cats.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is doing really well on a combination of Primal and RadCat. I also end up feeding her canned - probably twice a week, when I forget to defrost the next days' portion of RadCat. I have a few brands in my cupboard right now - Weruva, Koha, Tiki Cat and some Merricks, in a variety of proteins.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duckpond, I have not tried Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein kibble food. Where do you get it from? Chewy's products appear too pricey and Amazon does not sell it, I think.
It is pricey. It's available on Chewy and Dr E website. I subscribed to the email list on Dr Elsey's and I get notifications when it's on sale on their site and Chewy, and then I stock up. 1 bag lasts me 2 months with combination feeding for 2 10lb girls, so I grab 2 until the next sale.

Even if it were not on sale, I would still get it for them because the carbs are so low and protein so high and with the higher calories, they eat less.

Transition took 1 week.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do well on raw food, one also gets some canned. I don’t feed any dry food.

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Molly likes Eden dry food and Thrive dry chicken food and for wet food Meowing heads, Animonda Carney, and Little Big Paw. She gets about 20g dry a day the rest is wet food.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am constantly evaluating and modifying which food I feed my cats. Right now they are on a mix of Nature's Variety, Nulo, Farmina and TikiCat. I literally mean a mix as I mix all the dry together into one container. If figure they are getting different flavors and since it is a mix I don't have to worry as much about one no longer being made or formula changes. I can also do more price shopping and stock up on one or another when there is a sale.

That said, I think they did the best on Nature's Variety Limited Rabbit. Rocket hit her high weight of 8.2 on that one. She's now down to 7.7 pounds on the mix. Link though went up on the mix and Fury has stayed the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SBHC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was considering Tikicat and Applaws, I heard Applaws is supposed to be a really good brand. There are so many brands and formulas out there. But I believe this forum has sold me on the Farmina and Dr Elsey's Clean Protein. I may try Nature's Variety also. I would love to feed a raw diet in the future when it becomes affordable, but right now minimum wage prevents that haha. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard Applaws is supposed to be a really good brand.
We feed our kitties Applaus Chicken and Asparagus pouches as an after-play treat. Unfortunately they do not sell any complete foods in the US so it’s only good for us as a snack or topper.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As far as kibble goes. My cats love three Main ones and I’ve tried a lot (including Orijen) performatrin grain free, applause chicken, and natures variety raw boost. My female has scarf and barf issues with dry food and I tried switching both to all wet but my boy literally doesnt recognize wet food as food most of the time and will starve himself for days with no kibble around.
So they get those kibbles and literally any canned food I can get my hands on because my female is a picky little butt who will not eat the same canned food in the same week lol.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if i put much weight behind the class action suit against Origen, at least not yet. I think there are a lot of questions about the Clean Label Project. Both in regards to their testing methods, and their transparency on the results. I know they have slammed quite a few other pet food companies for the same things as Origen, Wellness and Rachel ray are two that come to mind. I think origen is just the only one that has had anyone start a lawsuit yet? Someone may have more information than i do. :dunno:
I don't buy for one second anything the clean label project states.