What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

Otto, let me ask you this. Do you stream a lot of shows on Netflix, like I do? Because you could have streamed MTM rather than buy the DVD. I didn't realize MTM was in Netflix library so I bought the DVDs.
Thanks! No, I don't stream video, that's too high tech for me, but even if I did, MTM is a set I want to own. (I got my replacement this morning)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Thanks! No, I don't stream video, that's too high tech for me, but even if I did, MTM is a set I want to own. (I got my replacement this morning)
Otto, streaming is not high-tech! It's the easiest thing in the world on your computer or TV. I think you said you have Netflix? You can watch so many movies on Netflix if you stream and it's all included in the monthly fee.

nekoha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a voracious reader!! I like just about anything, as long as it is well-written. My favorite genre is fantasy, but that is just for relaxing!!
When I lived in the States, I had a whole room dedicated to books! I constantly received books as presents and bought lots when I was at bookstores and at library sales, too. I haven't been big into libraries since I was a kid, though. Back then, our library was very small and we didn't have such a thing as inter-library loaning. I swear I read the whole library before I was 12!
Now that I live in Japan, there is no space for books! Also, books in English are incredibly expensive (about $30 for a new paperback), and the used bookstores only have books I have read at least twice! That was the worst part of this move, for me.
I cope by listening audiobooks on my iPod and I just received a Kindle.
Currently listening to: Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
Currently reading on Kindle: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (second time around on that book, wondering if it is worth trying to get through the whole series...)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Otto, streaming is not high-tech! It's the easiest thing in the world on your computer or TV. I think you said you have Netflix? You can watch so many movies on Netflix if you stream and it's all included in the monthly fee.
But I don't want to sit at my computer to watch something! I like to get all comfy in my chair with the cats piled on me.

Really two dvds a month is more than enough for me, the TV-dvd sets I own I use for when I am doing things around the house in the evening. I have it on in the back round and stop to watch and laugh as I go about my chores.

My computer isn't connected to my TV.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Now reading Last Dog On The Hill by Steve Duno and loving it.
Great book, very heart warming, but of course with a very sad ending...

Now going to read Star Island by Carl Hiaasen.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

But I don't want to sit at my computer to watch something!

My computer isn't connected to my TV.
Otto, there's nothing nicer than watching a movie on my laptop in bed! And Zimmie likes it too! She snuggles down with me and she watches too. You could watch loads of movies on Netflix, all included in your monthly fee, if you streamed them. It's one of the greatest bargains around, IMHO.

I don't stream to my television either. You need an intermediate gidget to do that (an X-box or such like). Half the movies I stream to computer and half I watch on DVD on television. I like both ways.

One day, Otto, there will be no DVD's!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Otto, there's nothing nicer than watching a movie on my laptop in bed! And Zimmie likes it too! She snuggles down with me and she watches too. You could watch loads of movies on Netflix, all included in your monthly fee, if you streamed them. It's one of the greatest bargains around, IMHO.

I don't stream to my television either. You need an intermediate gidget to do that (an X-box or such like). Half the movies I stream to computer and half I watch on DVD on television. I like both ways.

One day, Otto, there will be no DVD's!
I do appreciate all your suggestions.
But the last thing I want to do is watch TV or movies in bed.

Any kind of viewing is very stimulating to me and I'd never get to sleep if I tried to watch something in bed. I don't even read in bed. I read on the couch until I fall asleep, then I get up and go to bed. My viewing is done in the evening when I get home from work and am puttering, or on late Friday and Sunday afternoons.

When the time comes that the only way I can watch something is via my computer I guess I'll have to hook it up to my TV. My computer screen is too small for comfort viewing. I like to sit in the recliner with my sewing and a pile of cats, at some distance from the screen, to watch a movie or a few episodes of a TV show on disc.

I've only even had video/dvd for three years. Up until then all I was was on old TV that had dials on it. The 13 channels dial, and a UHF dial, and rabbit ears. I've never been much for watching, until the past few years, I've always mostly just read and played with the cats. Really, it was the self warming bed sewing projects that started me sitting in front of the TV.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I am reading Joe Queenan's Closing Time. Queenan is, among other things, a columnist and this is his autobiographical account of growing up poor in an Irish family in the fifties and sixties in Philadelphia. Queenan was born a couple of months before me in 1950 and what is interesting to me is how his growing up was very similar to mine in England. I am finding out more and more as I grow older that life in America, if you were not affluent, was very similar to life in England. We grew up watching The Dick Van Dyke Show, I love Lucy, etc., etc. and post-war America looked fabulous compared to post-war England. Now I am discovering that, for many people, it was not fabulous.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have just finished a TAmi Hoag book, Guilty as Sin and just about to start one called HEartsick by Chelsea Cain

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally reading Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. Can't. Put. It. Down.

It's so good!

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished Pride and Prejudice (going to watch the movie as soon as the hold comes in from the library), and am now currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, which is part of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the fourth of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I'm not impressed but I still can't help being addicted!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am most of the way through a book called Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, it is about 2 serial killers. Then I am onto The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished the latest Joe Grey mystery : Cat Coming Home
The Mrs. Murphy series has become rather tedious (too much whining about taxes), but the Joe Grey series is still enjoyable, and this one was up to par.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Now going to read The Turnaround by George Pelecanos.
Not a bad book at all, although it was a little slow in the beginning. It was worth it though.

Now going to read book one in the Wideacre Trilogy by Philippa Gregory.

Status
Not open for further replies.