What are you reading? The Sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I like the tv series, True Blood, MUCH better than the books.
And the good thing about the series True Blood is that you get to see yummy Alexander Skaarsgard (Eric.)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you like futuristic-society fiction, and you like young adult fiction I highly recommend the author Margaret Peterson Haddix. Her books are spellbinding.

I am currently reading a series of Haddix's called "The Shadow Children", and I can hardly put each book down once I start it. "Among the Hidden" is the first book and each title is prefaced with "Among the..." (6 books)

I've enjoyed several other of her books too, but there are many more to go. I love it when I find a new to me author who is prolific in his or her writing!

On the same theme I enjoyed Lois Lowry's "The Giver" series (3 books) and I think I have mentioned the "City of Ember" by Jeanne DePrau books before. (four books)

I also recently read a book by Nancy Farmer called "The House of the Scorpion." Also a futuristic-society book that I found fascinating. Not sure if that one is young adult or not, it was a 13 year old who recommended it to me.

Nancy Farmer also wrote another book I loved called "A Girl Named Disaster". That wasn't SF, but it was a solo-survivalist type story and I love those too.

I also enjoy apocalyptic novels such as "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank (it's an oldie) and of course "The Stand" by Stephen King, probably the best book ever written.

Oh yes, and mustn't forget "Flowers for Algernon" (another oldie)by Daniel Keyes

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catbehaviors

I am starting Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
Oooh I love that book! How's it going? I like to reread the Austen books in winter. I usually do the Brontes at the same time.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Primula

I am re-reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck.
I tried reading it when I was in high school and couldn't get through it. I should try it again.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Good Earth is a very easy book to read. I first read it when I was a child. Though it is set in China, it is a book that anyone can relate to since it is a story of survival.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The Good Earth is a very easy book to read. I first read it when I was a child. Though it is set in China, it is a book that anyone can relate to since it is a story of survival.
Okay you've convinced me, I've put it on my librabry list. I was about 14 the first time I tried.

Another book I tried to read as a teen was Lorna Doone. It's written in vernacular though, and it was rough going. I talked about it with my English teacher and he recommended I wait until I was in my twenties to read it.

So I tried again when I was 24 and wow, I LOVED it. I recently decided to reread it, but the print was so small, it's difficult enough to read it with good eyes, with my eyes now 26 years older than before, the vernacular again defeated me.

Maybe some day, if I ever get a kindle, and Lorna Doone becomes available on that, I will be able to read it again.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Another book I tried to read as a teen was Lorna Doone. It's written in vernacular though, and it was rough going.
I'm British, but I don't understand what you mean by "vernacular" in Lorna Doone.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm British, but I don't understand what you mean by "vernacular" in Lorna Doone.
Sorry, I have a bad habit of using big words, I love them. Sort of like Anne of Green Gables.

Vernacular means speaking in a dialect or language indigenous to a specific region.

The book takes place in 17th century England... Exmoor I think. They are farmers, if I remember correctly, and speak in heavy dialect, and that is how the book is written, the words are written exactly how they would have been spoken.. It's a fantastic story, but very difficult to read.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry, I have a bad habit of using big words, I love them. Sort of like Anne of Green Gables.
I know what vernacular means, but I didn't see how it related to the book. I understand what you meant now. Now Anne of Green Gables - there's a book!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know what vernacular means, but I didn't see how it related to the book. I understand what you meant now. Now Anne of Green Gables - there's a book!
Oh yeah, I realized that after I reread your post. Too quick with the reply button as usual.

Yes., Anne is a real favorite of mine. I reread those books every few years, as do two of my sisters.
I like L.M. Montgomery's Emily series too, but have only read it once.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes., Anne is a real favorite of mine. I reread those books every few years, as do two of my sisters.
I like L.M. Montgomery's Emily series too, but have only read it once.
When I was a child in England, I loved the American What Katy Did books by Susan Coolidge. Did you ever read those?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I was a child in England, I loved the American What Katy Did books by Susan Coolidge. Did you ever read those?
NO! I just checked my library system. They have only the one title. Are there others?

I ordered it.

I have a whole list of young adult and juvenile books I reread. I love my book collection!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Currently about 1/3rd of the way into The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry and am finding it quite boring truthfully.
This actually turned out to be a decent book in the end.

Now I'm going to start The White Queen by Philippa Gregory.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Maybe some day, if I ever get a kindle, and Lorna Doone becomes available on that, I will be able to read it again.
Lorna Doone is already available as a free download, as are most books copyright doesn't apply to.

You definitely won't regret it if you get a Kindle. I don't know how I managed without one!
There are refurbished ones you can get, BTW.

Now I'm going to start The White Queen by Philippa Gregory.
I liked that one. I was on a Plantagenet/Tudor kick last Christmas, and read quite a few "historical romances". I liked this one about her successor: The Reluctant Queen by Jean Plaidy (Victoria Holt/Philippa Carr). You might enjoy Sandra Worth's "Rose(s)" series.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Lorna Doone is already available as a free download, as are most books copyright doesn't apply to.

You definitely won't regret it if you get a Kindle. I don't know how I managed without one!
There are refurbished ones you can get, BTW.
Hey, thanks for the tips! Lorna Doone is free, eh? I like that.

However don't you have to have a wireless service to use a Kindle? Which I do not have. I don't even know how much it costs to have wireless service, or how to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.